We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for authentic tapas on a Monday?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Recommendations for authentic tapas on a Monday?
Save

We were going to travel via bus 79 Marbella to Estepona today.

We planned to go to bar virgin del carmen for some fish but seen it’s closed.

Could anyone recommend authentic tapas bars that are open on a Monday or would we be better leaving it to another day?

We love fresh fish but also pork dishes, stewed pork cheeks etc.

We plan on doing some of the walks reccomend by turista-inglesa

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Estepona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Estepona
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
794 reviews
2,025 helpful votes
1. Re: Recommendations for authentic tapas on a Monday?
Save

Pork dishes are less popular in Estepona, it is a fishy town!

You are right that the Virgen del Carmen is closed on Mondays. Small places like that close on Monday because the fleet doesn't go out on Sunday, so no fresh fish.

The V del C is our local, if you do go there, then say you are Amigos de Jenifer (you won't get a discount, but a smile!) and say we will be there next week. 😁

I have been busy doing my daily exercise routine, so a bit late coming to the Forum, sorry.

A well loved bar about 5 minutes walk from the first bus stop, the one by the Statue of Hercules, is La Goleta.

https://goo.gl/maps/hVDPm5E5XhAJAGJE6

Ring the bell as soon as you are past the big Carrefour hypermarket, get off bus, walk back, take first turn left , go up the main road (there's a side road almost immediately, ignore it) past on other side of road a pretty parade of shops and bars (if you are tired by then, the Bar Dompierre is good), then turn right up the street at the end of the parade then first left, and it is 30m along.

But it would be a pity to miss the V del Carmen in its gorgeous little square!

Tell me if you want instructions for getting there! https://i.vgy.me/00Kpsj.png

Edited: 30 August 2021, 17:44
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2. Re: Recommendations for authentic tapas on a Monday?
Save

Thanks for the help!

We are in the bus now, we thought it came every half hour but we waiting from 11:10 until 12:00 for the 79

Bus to arrive.

We intend to grab a bed at the beach first and make a day of it, then walk through the town to explore.

Where would you reccomend getting off for this

Thanks

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3. Re: Recommendations for authentic tapas on a Monday?
Save

PS, we are going to search out bar goleta, it looks lovely thanks

Estepona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Estepona
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
794 reviews
2,025 helpful votes
4. Re: Recommendations for authentic tapas on a Monday?
Save

By now you will have discovered that the beach at Estepona is very long, from the Carrefour hypermarket to the Marina, so no matter where you get off the bus, there it is!

Hope you managed to get a nice lunch and have a good walk around the flowery centre.

Reply to: Recommendations for authentic tapas on a Monday?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Estepona
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.