We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around st remy?

Level Contributor
18 posts
Getting around st remy?
Save

Hi I’m looking into staying at a hotel just outside of the st remy city center (the chateau de roussan) - but it doesn’t seem like you can walk into the the city? It’s down a two lane highway with no where for pedestrians to walk? How do people Stay in hotels in the country side (or even just outside the city limits) and get to the walkable portion of the city? Does everyone drive the 5 mins into the city and then have to look for parking? Is it easy to hail a taxi In the city center to go back

To the hotel?

4 replies to this topic
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
14,185 posts
86 reviews
98 helpful votes
1. Re: Getting around st remy?
Save

Well, you can walk 25 minutes mainly on very quiet roads where you shouldn't be too bothered by traffic, or drive 5 minutes & park (payable) in the town centre. You would probably have to call & pre-arrange for a taxi which I imagine would be reluctant to accept the ride for such a short distance.

Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
310 reviews
540 helpful votes
2. Re: Getting around st remy?
Save

Can it be that your post sounds like a complaint?

Well, you are not forced to stay at Chateau de Roussan. You can find enough hotels which are closer to city centres. By the way, Saint Remy is not a city. It is not even a town. It is a larger village and pretty boring. So, I do not see the need to walk into town.

The only reason to select Saint Remy as a base is that it is located strategically in the geographical middle of Western Provence, with good access to Avignon, Orange, Pont du Gard, Nîmes, Arles. Camargue, Aigues-Mortes, Les Baux, the Alpilles and the Luberon. If you take Saint Remy as a base in the centre of a spiderweb, it does not matter whether your hotel is IN Saint Remy or outside. If you want to stay in a real town better choose a hotel in Arles or Avignon.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
72,184 posts
180 reviews
182 helpful votes
3. Re: Getting around st remy?
Save

Normally, people choose where to stay by balancing a number of factors, one of which is convenience and transport. Most guests at Chateau de Roussan probably have a car. If you don't have a car, St. Remy isn't a good base anyway.

I have stayed at plenty of places just outside the center and then drive the 5-10 minutes to visit some place. It's no big deal.

4. Re: Getting around st remy?
Save

We stayed in Saint-Remy in 2019. One night when we were going to a restaurant slightly out of town and didn’t want to risk driving over the alcohol limit I contacted a local driver who drove us both ways. He was prompt, spoke excellent English and was thoroughly engaging. I am unsure if I can give his full contact details but if you Google Gregorydeluxe you may find him. He also does transfers from Marseille airport to S. Remy.

Reply to: Getting around st remy?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saint-Remy-de-Provence
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.