We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avignon hotels that FEEL remote?

3 posts
Avignon hotels that FEEL remote?
Save

Looking for a hotel in AVignon that is walkable to the city but feels a little bit more green/countryside? I wont have a car and we cant actually stay in the countryside. just want something with that essence.

7 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
14,157 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Avignon hotels that FEEL remote?
Save

The Best Western Hotel du Lavarin which is on the southern outskirts close to the Centre Hospitalier might just suit you although it is a fair walk from the centre.

https://www.hotel-du-lavarin.fr

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,824 posts
4 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: Avignon hotels that FEEL remote?
Save

Avignon has a population of about 92,000 people and the closer you get the the Centre Ville the more dense the population becomes. It is not at all a place that one would find greenery or a countryside feel. If you won't rent a car and stay in the countryside then you are just not going to get that countryside feel anywhere in Avignon. I don't mean to burst your bubble but I do mean to give you a dose of reality so that you'll be prepared for what to expect.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
72,169 posts
180 reviews
182 helpful votes
3. Re: Avignon hotels that FEEL remote?
Save

I agree with FM above. Most hotels are located at the central area where you will find "country side" greenery. Naturally, the less dense parts of the city have far fewer hotel choices. Also, they are most likely at least 30 minutes on foot from the city center, occasionally via roads that aren't great for walking.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
14,169 posts
86 reviews
98 helpful votes
4. Re: Avignon hotels that FEEL remote?
Save

If you cannot afford La Mirande then maybe try something in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon just across the Rhône. I do not recommend the walk from the Best Western du Lavarin to the city centre which takes you through the worst district of the city. You could stay there and take a bus, but even that hotel is not countrylike. It is next door to the crematorium.

Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
310 reviews
540 helpful votes
5. Re: Avignon hotels that FEEL remote?
Save

It is a contradiction in terms. If you do not have a car you need to stay close to a train station. Train stations are in the city centres. And it is very hard next to impossible to find a hotel in a city centre that feels like countryside.

There are, of course, hotels in the outskirts of cities, like the one you have found in Saint Remy, but they require longer (and not always pleasant) walks or taking taxis or maybe taking buses (if they are close to a bus stop which is not always the case).

Since you appear to be not on a small budget, you might be ready to spend 30 or 40 Euros per day for taxi rides. In this case, you may look for countryside hotels around Arles which is a smaller and even more agreeable town than Avignon. Tripadvisor map search is excellent.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
14,169 posts
86 reviews
98 helpful votes
6. Re: Avignon hotels that FEEL remote?
Save

Whether Arles or Avignon is more agreeable is very subjective. Personally I find Avignon far more agreeable than Arles. Others take another standpoint.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
72,169 posts
180 reviews
182 helpful votes
7. Re: Avignon hotels that FEEL remote?
Save

I also like the Avignon atmosphere more than Arles. It's just a personal opinion though. At Arles, I stayed just outside the center (I had a car). At Avignon, I stayed centrally almost next to Palais de Papes. On subsequent trips, again with a car, I stayed in smaller towns/villages instead.

As to Villeneuve-lès-Avignon, that was the area that came to mind when I first saw your question. However, you have a lot less accommodation choices.

Reply to: Avignon hotels that FEEL remote?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Avignon
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.