We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer - where to stay

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
631 posts
45 reviews
First Timer - where to stay

Planning to spend 2 days in Edinburgh if our waitlist comes true, after London. Trip is in two weeks time and air-ticket was just booked yesterday. Still trying to read up on the capital but thought you might be able to help me here so I can save time and focus on reading the sights. Are most of the sights near Edinburgh city? We will be taking a train from London and wondering what is the best area to stay so we can be near to most attractions given that we only have two short days. Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,583 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: First Timer - where to stay

Edinburgh is not that big and has good transport links so anywhere in or near the centre will be fine

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,659 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: First Timer - where to stay

At short notice and peak season it will be a matter of what is available. It is a compact city and anywhere central( old town or new town) will be fine

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,123 posts
239 reviews
3. Re: First Timer - where to stay

Stay in Old Town if possible. You can walk to the castle, Holyrood Palace, Arthur's Seat (wear good walking shoes!), Calton Hill, etc.

It's an amazing city!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,244 posts
57 reviews
4. Re: First Timer - where to stay

If you look on a map anywhere bounded roughly by Queen Street to the north, the west end of Princes Street (or even as far west as Haymarket), Lothian road to the west, north bridge / Waterloo place to the east and cowgate /grassmarket to the south is very central and anywhere within a couple of streets away is still walking distance to the main attractions.

Your biggest issue could be budget and availability. Find a few places and we can advise on specific locations.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
631 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: First Timer - where to stay

Thank you all for your help. I have a better idea now and will definitely come back to this thread once I got my waitlist confirmed. Now I pray!

6. Re: First Timer - where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2018, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Edinburgh