We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angelsey with no car

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
20 helpful votes
Angelsey with no car
Save

I am going to Beaumaris with my fiancé in a couple of weeks and we are staying in Beaumaris. We are getting dropped off there by a family member and then are there for three days, during that time we will have no car. We are used to travelling by public transport and foot and love walks. Can anyone recommend any walks or things to do for those without a car on bus routes or by foot or does anyone have any hints regarding buses as this info seems scattered and isn't very clear. Really appreciate any advice as a trip I was looking forward to is now filled with concern.

10 replies to this topic
Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
18,263 posts
42 reviews
109 helpful votes
1. Re: Angelsey with no car
Save

Can't directly give advice to your qns, other than to say you would be able to explore and see much more of lovely Anglesey if you rented a car. Is that not viable for you?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
10 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Angelsey with no car
Save

Public transport: Traveline is the website to use. You can see from the bus stop map that only route 58 serves Beaumaris and the timetable is here: https://www.traveline.cymru/timetables/?routeNum=58&direction_id=0&timetable_key=058BHACA6

The Wales coast path goes through Beaumaris and you can use this tool to see how far walks are (press the pen tool, zoom in and click along the paths then double click to finish): https://www.walescoastpath.gov.uk/plan-your-visit/interactive-coast-path-map/?lang=en#

Beaumaris itself obviously has the castle and gaol and pier. Beaumaris also has really good restaurants but do consider booking ahead, particularly e.g. seafood places like Midland tapas (or Dylan's in Menai Bridge) are popular for good reason. You can do boat cruises from Beaumaris, wrap up warm, you won't see puffins this late in the year but you can get the views from the Menai Straits and possibly see seals and other sea birds.

It's about 4.5 miles each way to Penmon Point from Beaumaris on the very pretty coastal path and/or you can get the bus. It has a nice cafe, lighthouse, views and the St. Seiriol's priory is of interest. It's worth a day out if you have reasonable weather.

About half that distance is the ruined castle at Aberlleiniog and Lleiniog beach (pebble).

Menai Bridge is a really nice little town with good restaurants and coffee shops, the Menai Bridge to view and walk across, or use the coast path to the viewpoints of the bridges from Church Island. If you got the bus there, it's about a further 4 mile walk on the coastal path to Plas Newydd (National Trust) house and gardens who have some red squirrels resident. Between Beaumaris and Menai Bridge at the Plas Cadnant gardens, and from the bus stops in Bangor you can get another bus to Penrhyn Castle which is also National Trust. Although I expect gardens won't be at their prime at the moment, the views are great.

You can get to the railway line at Bangor and then onwards to other popular tourist places like Conwy (for the castle, walls, nice small centre and marina) or Rhosneigr (for coastal walks and beach).

Or consider getting a taxi for a return trip to more out-of-the-way places like Niwbwrch / Newborough beach and Ynys Llandwyn if the tide times work during your visit. Or the industrial heritage at Porth Wen and Llanlleiana as a circular walk from Cemaes Bay.

Edited: 31 August 2021, 22:40
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
8,411 posts
64 reviews
133 helpful votes
3. Re: Angelsey with no car
Save

Sjr00 has nailed it

Can’t add anything to that

Except

Maybe a boat trip from Beaumaris

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,044 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Angelsey with no car
Save

I can add something to what sjr00 wrote - the new day ticket for buses in North Wales including Anglesey!

https://www.traveline.cymru/news/2021/07/15/new-1bws-ticket-for-services-in-north-wales-introduced-by-local-authorities-and-bus-operators/

change at Menai Bridge for all over Anglesey or change at Bangor for Snowdonia, Conwy etc.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
10 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Angelsey with no car
Save

One other place if you want to travel, you can get the bus to Bangor and then another towards Abergwyngregyn to walk to Aber Falls and there is a distillery that does tours. But I would hope with only 3 days you'll find plenty to see and do in the close vicinity of Beaumaris. Enjoy!

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Angelsey with no car
Save

I think everyone has covered the resources I'd have mentioned: traveline.cymru and the 1bus ticket for anything other than the most local trips. Think you have plenty for 3 days, but just in case you want to explore more on the mainland into Snowdonia, here's the Gwynedd bus map:

https://www.gwynedd.llyw.cymru/en/Residents/Documents-Residents/Parking,-roads-and-travel/Map-of-the-Gwynedd-bus-network.pdf

I couldn't find an overview map for Anglesey/Ynys Mon buses either; please post link if anyone knows ....

Interested as am thinking of a few days doing a similar trip in a month or so, and definitely basing in Beaumaris. Do please report back if you have the time.

I don't hink you need be concerned, there's plenty to do in the immediate vicinity and on public transport., with Beaumaris sufficiently well-connected to both Bangor and places on the Island. It is annoying that the info doesn't seem to be pulled together with a map though; the Anglesey Council website just refers to the traveline site. Could do better!

Edited: 01 September 2021, 01:08
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Angelsey with no car
Save

There seem to be a lot of different bus operators.

This site seems to have a comprehensive list and be reasonably up to date, with some services started earlier this year. So at least gives something to check further on the www.traveline.cymru site:

https://www.geopunk.co.uk/timetables/wales/isle-of-anglesey

If you're there over a weekend, the Sunday will be your most difficult day bus-wise. Perhaps aim to explore locally on foot that day, or note that the Bangor-Conwy-Llandudno route has a decent Sunday service.

Gwynedd, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
28 reviews
29 helpful votes
8. Re: Angelsey with no car
Save

A good long walk would be to get the bus out of Beaumaris to the Kingsbridge Crossroads, and walk out to Penmon. There might well be other services into Llangoed / Llanddona ~ since covid the traditional 53/56/57/58 services have changed a lot ~ which might take you towards e.g. White Beach.

I'd also look to spend half a day back up the road in Menai Bridge. Some quirky shops, and a good walk along the old Prom (from the Marine Science building) round and under the suspension bridge and out to Church Island.

I would NOT recommend you walk from Beaumaris to Menai Bridge unless you take "the top road"... as the low level route - The Garth Bends - is not suitable for walking for a good two miles.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
20 helpful votes
9. Re: Angelsey with no car
Save

Thank you everyone for your very helpful replies. I am compiling a plan of action based on your kind and insightful advise and will report back on how we get on.

I am feeling a little more hopeful that we will get to see some of the lovely spots on offer in Angelsey after your replies and am hopeful get a small taster of the place before we do a more through trip in a couple of years when driving is an option for us.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
20 helpful votes
10. Re: Angelsey with no car
Save

Thank you Sjr00 for you indepth and immensely helpful advice

Reply to: Angelsey with no car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Anglesey
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.