We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side-trips while there? Ireland, etc?

Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Side-trips while there? Ireland, etc?

Our first trip to London. We have 9 days total starting 11-27-18. A few questions please:

Should we see Ireland? Easy to pop over from London? Where else should we try to visit? Stay in Airbnb’s? Going to book it soon.

Thanks so much.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,731 Reviews
from US$122.10*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,271 Reviews
from US$124.70*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
769 Reviews
from US$102.20*
16 replies to this topic
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,985 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Side-trips while there? Ireland, etc?

Nine days is not long for London, you could do a couple of day trips out by train, Cambridge, Brighton, Oxford etc.

Ireland is not a sensible side trip with only a week in London.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Side-trips while there? Ireland, etc?

Some people do Paris a day trip by Eurostar (two and a half hours +40 min check in each way). It feels too far for one day to me, but you may like the idea!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,305 posts
217 reviews
3. Re: Side-trips while there? Ireland, etc?

If you’re thinking of Ireland (not in the U.K, different currency too) you might want to post on the Ireland forum to see how you might spend a day/couple of days.

Like others I don’t think you have enough time. Consider time to get to the airport, check in time, flight, getting to overnight accommodation then the return journey. Much better to do a day trip by train. Lots of options.

As to what sort of accommodation it depends on budget, what level of service you want and whether you want to prepare your own food.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,985 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Side-trips while there? Ireland, etc?

Another thought.

Have you booked your flights yet?

You could do a week in London, then fly to Dublin for the last two nights and fly home from here.

That way you do pre clearance here which, I am told, makes the process a lot easier as you arrive home as a domestic passenger.

You can't see Ireland, but Dublin might be possible.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Side-trips while there? Ireland, etc?

You could consider Liverpool

2 hours by train from London

Train drops you off in the City Centre

Which is small and compact enough for you to walk around quite easily

Two Cathedrals

The Pier Head

The Royal Albert Dock

And many other attractions

An early start andca late evening train back would give you a very enjoyable day

Oh and there are some Beatles stuff too but Liverpool is much more than the Beatles these days

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
127 reviews
6. Re: Side-trips while there? Ireland, etc?

What do you want to get out of a trip?

The ambience of what a place has to offer or a whistle stop tour to say you have visited??.

Your 9 days will effectively be less by the time you allow for the arrival and departure arrangements.

London and surrounds can indeed take up all that time and remembering that it will be getting dark quite early so the daylight hours for actually seeing things will be considerably less.

Post 1,2 and 4 are suggestions worth considering if you indeed want to get something out of the trip and minimise the back and forth travelling

Personally would stay in London and have days out adding Canterbury and maybe Leeds castle as part of your trip

Level Contributor
932 posts
349 reviews
7. Re: Side-trips while there? Ireland, etc?

It’s going to be a long day. I once did visit Berlin on a day trip. It was a bit of a rush but I did see a few sights.

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,678 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Side-trips while there? Ireland, etc?

I wouldn't visit Ireland in November. Its major attractions (to me) are outside Dublin, and with only 8 hours of daylight and predominantly wet and windy weather, you won't see too much of it. Same goes for the UK countryside in November - stick to cities/towns.

If basing yourself in London the following cities are all easy day-trips by train:

Bath

Oxford

York

Cambridge

Canterbury

Winchester

Paris

Brussels

Do a little googling and you'll have plenty to choose from

Windsor is also an easy half-day trip.

I wouldn't schedule more than 3-4 such trips in 9 days (I assume 2 of those days are arrival/departure days).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7,228 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Side-trips while there? Ireland, etc?

I've done the Ring of Kerry in a day. Caught a 6:00 flight from Stansted, hired a car and back for the 19:00 flight back. It was very misty so that's probably why we had loads of time as there wasn't much point stopping for "views". It was back in the days when Ryanair did 99p flights all in.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,985 posts
21 reviews
10. Re: Side-trips while there? Ireland, etc?

Yes, that was possible then, when there were two flights a day to Kerry, but Ryanair ditched the early morning flight and we now only have one flight a day to Stansted, and not every day.

Reply to: Side-trips while there? Ireland, etc?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted