We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apple Pay and Google Pay on Tube Using American Credit Cards

Utah
Level Contributor
23 posts
41 reviews
Apple Pay and Google Pay on Tube Using American Credit Cards

My husband and I just returned from the UK a few days ago. I tried to use Apple Pay to pay for the Underground at Heathrow, and my husband tried to use Google Pay on his Android phone. Neither worked (both were connected to our US issued American Express cards. I had researched this before and wanted to share our experience in case someone else was going to try soon. We ended up buying Oyster cards. The nice thing with oyster is that you can get the refund in a self-serve machine when you are finished with them. While using our phones would have been easier, the Oyster cards were pretty painless too.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,728 Reviews
from US$123.00*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,269 Reviews
from US$125.70*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
764 Reviews
from US$103.00*
7 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
913 reviews
1. Re: Apple Pay and Google Pay on Tube Using American Credit Cards

Sadly neither of those payment types are widely accepted in the UK. Oyster card are an awesome way to travel using both the London underground and London buses. The multi day travel cards do save money in the long run.

Another option is contactless. Contactless cards from visa, MasterCard and amex are all accepted.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,731 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Apple Pay and Google Pay on Tube Using American Credit Cards

I'm guessing it must be something to do with your US registered Amex card as google and apple pay do work well for london transport.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,729 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Apple Pay and Google Pay on Tube Using American Credit Cards

>>Sadly neither of those payment types are widely accepted in the UK<<

I don't think that's true. TfL accept both Google Pay and Apple Pay:

https:/…other-methods-of-contactless-payment

Edited: 24 September 2018, 06:09
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
913 reviews
4. Re: Apple Pay and Google Pay on Tube Using American Credit Cards

Ah yes. You're right. So they do. Thanks for pointing that out.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,920 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Apple Pay and Google Pay on Tube Using American Credit Cards

I've used Apple Pay with my credit union issued Mastercard and there's not been a problem.

Utah
Level Contributor
23 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: Apple Pay and Google Pay on Tube Using American Credit Cards

Good to know USBusinessTraveller. The threads I researched prior to our trip involved using credit cards. I use credit cards so I can get the miles and also for the consumer protection.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,332 posts
441 reviews
7. Re: Apple Pay and Google Pay on Tube Using American Credit Cards

It’s nothing to do with credit cards, the whole point of phone pay is that the phone talks to the ticket barrier, and the phone talks to the bank. The barrier cannot “See” the underlying card, it only sees the phone as the unique payment tool. This is why two phones linked to the same card will work.

The OP’s problem may have been the installation of google pay or a fault on the barrier, but it is not about their credit card.

Reply to: Apple Pay and Google Pay on Tube Using American Credit Cards
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted