We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Class

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
248 posts
12 reviews
Train Class

Hello

I will be spending 16 days in and around London next May. I will take the train from London to Stratford upon Avon and spend 3 nights there, the train to Bath for another 2 nights and back to London. I will also do day trip to Newbury, Oxford, Hampton Court, Windsor and possibly St. Albans. How is the seating on the trains by class? Is it worth extra to have reserved seat with extra room? Do the first class have the private compartments? Thank you! I have only vague memories of taking the trains all over Italy and those were Eurostar trains. I hated not having reserved seat though.

41 replies to this topic
Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
2 reviews
21. Re: Train Class

There are no First Class or reservable seats on the trains to Stratford upon Avon

Most journeys involve a change of train at Leamington Spa

The cheapest tickets are Advance Singles where you have to travel on the booked train, they start from £5.50 with a third of with a Rail Card £3.65

Edited: 24 September 2018, 16:23
Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
22. Re: Train Class

<<< Thank you! I have only vague memories of taking the trains all over Italy and those were Eurostar trains. I hated not having reserved seat though.>>>

Well your memory is obviously flawed - you could not have taken a Eurostar train anywhere in Italy. And if it had been Eurostar (between the UK and Paris or Brussels) you would have had a reserved seat

London, United...
Level Contributor
773 posts
6 reviews
23. Re: Train Class

https://www.italiarail.com/trains/eurostar

Think you need a slice of humble pie!

Arlington, Virginia
10 posts
24. Re: Train Class

Eurostar trains in Italy - first hit in a Google search. Yes, there are Eurostar trains in Italy: https://www.italiarail.com/trains/eurostar

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
6,303 posts
58 reviews
25. Re: Train Class

∆∆∆∆ That's very helpful, isn't it? I'll thank you on the OP 's behalf. What is it? "If you can't say anything nice. . ."

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
26. Re: Train Class

But they are a type of train, not Eurostar as such

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
6,303 posts
58 reviews
27. Re: Train Class

Re my post--I didn't see the two above me;I was responding to maestro.

Reigate, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
31 reviews
28. Re: Train Class

<<But they are a type of train, not Eurostar as such>>

They're called Eurostar trains, and that's what the OP correctly said he used. Just because they're not the same as the trains of the same name that run under the English Channel from St. Pancras doesn't make what the OP said incorrect, or mean that his memory is "flawed".

Edited: 24 September 2018, 16:50
UK
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
26 reviews
29. Re: Train Class

Re Eurostar - sometimes two products have the same name. Just like sometimes two (or more) towns have the same name. "Oh no you can't possibly have been to Paris. It's in France, not in Texas". Doesn't mean that one town, or one product, is not real.

(As it happens I've always known that there is an Italian rail product called Eurostar... but if I hadn't known I would have checked before posting saying it can't possibly exist)

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
69 reviews
30. Re: Train Class

It is worth buying your tickets to Bath in advance because the websites force you to have seat reservations (even for a flexible fare). You are given a choice of aisle vs window and forward/backwards facing and airline vs table (the table seats tend to get snapped up). I use the line a fair bit and you will be guaranteed those seats about 95% of the time.

Travelling first class gives you access to a lounge at Paddington. It is 1/2 way up platform 1, with free loos/drinks/snacks/newspapers (It even has a Tripadvisor review page). You also get a fairly restricted offering on the train.

Reply to: Train Class
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted