We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Travel Guide

2 posts
Recommended Travel Guide

I'm planning a trip to London in March 2019. I have Rick Steve's guide to London but was wondering if I should consult others as well. I would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,731 Reviews
from US$122.10*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,271 Reviews
from US$124.70*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
769 Reviews
from US$102.20*
19 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
196 reviews
11. Re: Recommended Travel Guide

When I plan for a trip I make use of the library to consult as many guides as I can. Each has its own viewpoint and texture, so each has its own particular value. I no longer use printed guidebooks for advice on restaurants or hotels. The restaurant information is often out of date even for books with recent publication dates because the are not thoroughly researched for each new edition. As for the hotels, I now generally stay in vacation rentals. The sights change very little, so that's what I mostly use the guidebooks for.

Too many people follow Rick Steves closely. Consequently, sticking to his advice keeps you with the crowds. I find that Fromers caters to the more well healed traveler. Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, and Time Out are more my style, but i prefer the glossier presentation of Lonely Planet. I like the graphics of Eyewitness, but the text tends to be a bit shallow.

And then there's TripAdvisor which does not do descriptions of the sights but affords a useful place to file sights and restaurants for consultation while on my trip. It also provides a useful place to ask specific questions like what's happening with the strike on the Picadilly line? I find that the forums help me to discover the questions that I want and need the answers to, questions that I didn't know to ask when I began my research.

Have fun with your research.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
70 reviews
12. Re: Recommended Travel Guide

Rick Steves. Hmmm. How long could this run? Could be competition for the "How much should I tip?" threads...

Edited: 24 September 2018, 15:09
Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
13 reviews
13. Re: Recommended Travel Guide

A now closed thread on Mr Steves:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186…

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,928 posts
6 reviews
14. Re: Recommended Travel Guide

“I have Rick Steve's guide to London but was wondering if I should consult others as well“

============

The answer is YES YES YES.

I bought a Steeves guidebook out of morbid curiosity several years ago and the pages are covered in red ink pointing out the inaccuracies. Mostly basic and misleading and ones that will end up you paying way more money than you should.

I bought it because of the “ace value “stupid” questions being asked on here from people who had read in their “guidebook” that it’s cheaper for groups of 3-4 to travel by taxi than use the tube and buses. Verified in red ink, it’s that bad.

Steeves is legendary on this and other European forums, but not for good reasons.

So definitely get a new guidebook or research online and come back here and ask questions.

Have a great trip.

Edited: 24 September 2018, 15:20
Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
31 reviews
15. Re: Recommended Travel Guide

Make sure you watch the companion moving picture travelogue to Rick Steves' most excellent and up to date guide. A wealth of information about our lovely capital city:

https://archive.org/details/SeeingLo1920

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
13 reviews
16. Re: Recommended Travel Guide

R in S, very good.:-) Excellent commentary.

2 posts
17. Re: Recommended Travel Guide

Thanks everyone. I appreciate everyone's feedback. As a fanatical book lover, I am all about getting more guides to get a better, more well-rounded picture. Thanks again all!

London, United...
Level Contributor
408 posts
4 reviews
18. Re: Recommended Travel Guide

Make sure you use this forum too! We're happy to help

Also London is steeped in literary history so if you're an avid reader we can help you with some sites for that too

Edited: 25 September 2018, 00:26
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,640 posts
659 reviews
19. Re: Recommended Travel Guide

How long is this trip for? Also what are you interested in seeing?

Reply to: Recommended Travel Guide
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted