We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach access for those with walking problems; beach passes

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
86 posts
70 reviews
24 helpful votes
Beach access for those with walking problems; beach passes
Save

My husband and I will be visiting Cape Cod for the 1st time in mid-October. We hope to visit several of the beaches to take pictures, not for walking any distances, but have some disability problems. I do have a small scooter to use on paved or smooth paths to get to a beach but won't attempt to take it onto the sand.

What beaches would be best for us? Both ocean and bay sides. We are staying near Provincetown but plan to see as much as possible in 3 days (mid-week).

Also, will we need beach passes since it's off-season? Thanks so much!

3 replies to this topic
Marshfield...
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
282 reviews
90 helpful votes
1. Re: Beach access for those with walking problems; beach passes
Save

No need for beach passes in October. I’m not sure which beaches would have the best access for you close to ptown. In south Yarmouth, bass river beach has a little landing area where you can go with a wheelchair.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
31,588 posts
64 reviews
45 helpful votes
2. Re: Beach access for those with walking problems; beach passes
Save

Can you managed to walk a short distance with a cane or walker? . Herring Cove beach in Ptown has plastic mats on the paths thru the sand to the beach. Turn right at the guard house. There is handicap parking on both sides of every path. My mobility impaired spouse can easily navigate these while carrying a folding chair.

At the Race Point visitors center in Ptown there are good views from the back deck. No need to climb the stairs to the rooftop deck.

The Head of the Meadow beach in Truro: the TOWN parking lot gives a decent view of the beach. (Go straight at fork). This is not so for the National Seashore lot (left at Fork).

You can also get great views of ocean-side beaches from viewing platforms at Highland light in Truro and the Marconi telegraph site (different from Marconi beach) in Wellfleet. I do not know if you can "roll on up" or if there is a step up.

The Salt Pond view from the Eastham visitors center is pretty and there is a very short, (1/4 mile) paved walking trail to the left of the rest rooms. It is woodsy.

Hope this helps a bit.

Edited: 26 August 2021, 06:03
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
86 posts
70 reviews
24 helpful votes
3. Re: Beach access for those with walking problems; beach passes
Save

Thank you so much for the good information! We will definitely check out the places you've listed plus do some investigating on our own. We're so looking forward to visiting the Cape as part of our 50th anniversary celebration!

Reply to: Beach access for those with walking problems; beach passes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.