We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitax

Iowa
Level Contributor
171 posts
110 reviews
100 helpful votes
Visitax

I am posting this strictly for information. I am not debating whether or not you should pay or not. Here are my observations from just returning from Cancun. No one asks about visitax. Not the resort, customs, immigration, or the airline. There are no signs or notices that I saw at the airport ( I was terminal 3) or anywhere else in Cancun. I know travelkore stated they may place an observation note on your passport if you don’t pay whatever that means. So again I am not giving advice on what to do but only relaying what I experienced.

11 replies to this topic
Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
98 reviews
377 helpful votes
1. Re: Visitax

My experience too - zilch, nothing, nada. I arrived and departed from T4 this past week. When I was there in March (T4 also), there were a few posters and advertising for Visitax here and there in baggage claim hall and also at departure gates (but nobody mentioned it). This time, absolutely nothing - no ads, no signs anywhere in T4.

Texas
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Visitax

We were there last month and it seemed like there was even less signage than prior trips (we go about 3x a year). We have never paid it, and until they get a real process in place or start forcing collection we don't plan on it.

9 posts
3. Re: Visitax

"I know travelkore stated they may place an observation note on your passport if you don’t pay whatever that means. So again I am not giving advice on what to do but only relaying what I experienced." . Of course they say that because they stand to profit from more people paying the Gringo tax. The only point of possible enforcement would be the airport and unless the state of QR can convince the Federal authorities to spend Federal labor and money detaining and fining people over a state tax enforcing payment will basically be impossible

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
29 reviews
87 helpful votes
4. Re: Visitax

We were there in February and never seen or heard anything about this tax. Some resorts are charging a so called Sanitation tax when you enter, Some resorts do and others do. Riu is one that does this. I'd like to know more of what's happening there.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
16,322 posts
80 reviews
99 helpful votes
5. Re: Visitax

The sanitation tax has been around awhile and the resorts charge it when checking in. (Somehitn like $2 per room per day). This Visitax has been around awhile but they have never figured out a way to enforce it. Many scam sites have popped up and people are hesitant to pay as it isn't enforced.

Westlock, Canada
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Visitax

The environemental fee is between 31 - 77 MXN depending on which municipality your resort is in. It's been around since April 2021 and is totally legit. It's usually paid upon check in or out.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
29 reviews
87 helpful votes
7. Re: Visitax

Just did a search. Riu calls it local tax with 76pesos per night at Riu Palace Las Americas while in Playacar it's 32.57 pesos per night. Sandos playacar is calling it Envirnmental Sanitation fee/tax at 31.12 per night as per their Website. Riu resorts require it at check in.

Edited: 20 May 2024, 10:09
Westlock, Canada
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Visitax

Yes, as I said, the amount varies depending on municipality, but totally legit.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
29 reviews
87 helpful votes
9. Re: Visitax

Sunlover09, I agree but a lot of resorts are not charging this fee but others are. I remember asking Joan about this a while back and she said they all were suppose to collect it but that's not happening. Also we visit Riu Palace Las Americas at least once a year and that tax keeps steadily going up. Just saying.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
401 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
10. Re: Visitax

We recently flew in/out of the new TQO (Tulum) airport (Apr 20 - May 1, 2024).

There was no mention of Visitax or signs about it that we noticed at TQO

------as an aside, we've been in/out of CUN 2 or 3 times a year since Visitax became a thing. We have never paid Visitax. They're still lettin' us in & out every time we come back, with no mention of having not previously paid it. :-)

Reply to: Visitax
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.