We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything fun happening over Labor Day Weekend?

New York City, New...
3 posts
1 review
Anything fun happening over Labor Day Weekend?

My husband and I will be driving to Montreal from NYC for a 4 Day weekend so we’ll have a car but would be nice to be in a walkable area. We’re specifically looking for cute streets to walk around, restaurants, and things to do. What’s a fun, trendy area to stay in that’s not too expensive? We’re planning to grab an Airbnb. Thanks so much in advance!

5 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,859 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Anything fun happening over Labor Day Weekend?

As in New York City, Airbnb and short term rentals are highly regulated in Montreal. Hosts must have a license. All legal rentals are listed on the clunky Quebec Original site:

https:/…cottages

Take a look at the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page and the info tabs at top for answers to some of your questions

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Anything fun happening over Labor Day Weekend?

Old Montreal is a great place to walk around however the hotels may be a little expensive (although you don't mention what your budget is). There are reasonably priced hotels within walking distance of Old Montreal. You may want to look at Chrome Hotel or any hotel that is on René Lévesque Boulevard close to St-Laurent.

If you give us your budget we may be able to be more specific

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
535 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Anything fun happening over Labor Day Weekend?

I'd be worried about using Airbnb in Montreal. We're in town now to close on the sale of a condo we purchased and our real estate agent was telling us that the city and provincial government are cracking down big time on Airbnb rentals here. Apparently sometime in the last couple of weeks a bunch of inspectors showed up at one of the Tour des Canadiens towers and shut down a bunch of illegal Airbnb rentals. I was told that people staying there had to pack up and leave and find somewhere else to stay. Airbnb's customer service is lousy too. We were supposed to go to an out of town family event recently and reserved an Airbnb house several months before. 4 days before we are supposed to leave the host tells me that the property is no longer available but oh, she does have another more expensive property available. She wouldn't even offer me a discount nor an explanation. Airbnb customer service was no help and I was offered a measly $34 credit towards another lodging that at that point would cost me at least 3 times the original property we had reserved. It's too bad because we enjoyed using Airbnb in the past but I had to find out the hard way what a lousy company they are and I personally wouldn't miss it if went away completely. Ironically, one of the reasons we chose the development we did in Montreal to buy into was because there is a very strict no short term rental policy that was put in place. There are many fine hotels and Bed and Breakfast establishments here in Montreal so I would advise you to use them instead of Airbnb.

As far as getting around the city, it's quite easy by using the metro and many things in the downtown and Old Montreal areas are walkable. We live in Boston full-time but are here so much that we pulled the trigger and bought a getaway property in Montreal. There is always something going on here during the summer months and into the fall. There's a lot of great neighborhoods to explore too. Sometimes we'll just take the metro to a random stop, get out, and walk in a direction we haven't explored yet. We're always finding something interesting we didn't know existed before.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Anything fun happening over Labor Day Weekend?

**Sometimes we'll just take the metro to a random stop, get out, and walk in a direction we haven't explored yet. We're always finding something interesting we didn't know existed before.**

I love that idea !

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris, Montreal
Level Contributor
19,585 posts
163 reviews
5. Re: Anything fun happening over Labor Day Weekend?

trendy areas would be Plateau or Griffintown and, as an alternative to Airbnb, a bed and breakfast might suit

Reply to: Anything fun happening over Labor Day Weekend?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted