We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking an Uber from Montreal to Burlington, VT

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Taking an Uber from Montreal to Burlington, VT

Hi all,

Grayhound is sold out on the time/date I need to get from Montreal to Burlington Vermont. I see that an Uber is only a little over $100USD for this trip... and the Uber app allows it. Will I get any pushback from the driver for this ride?

11 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,857 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Taking an Uber from Montreal to Burlington, VT

You'll want to be sure the driver has the proper documentation to cross the border.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
2. Re: Taking an Uber from Montreal to Burlington, VT

Yes, you may run into problems. It may also be illegal. I would worry about issues at the border. Not only for you but also the driver. Not all drivers hold valid passports. You may also seem suspicious.

It would be better taking a train. Are all the buses really sold out? Any way to make a connection?

And expect to pay much more than 100$. No way. Too cheap even for uber. Also expect wait times at the border crossing. Between uber and taxi I thin ktaxi is the better option because some of the drivers are used to it.

There are some taxis that will do intercity travel. You can request one at the airport. Wait in line at the taxi wait line. Tell the airport staff your destination. They can radio a taxi from the wait area that will do intercity travel. I know some go as far as Ottawa or Quebec city. I don't know if all will cross the border. You may have to wait for one. If you are not leaving from the airport you can call one. Or have your hotel call one for you. Be sure to specify where you are going.

Personally I would not risk getting denied entry. Or being put on a watch list for minimum 7 years. All because of an uber. That is if any uber will take you there. And we haven't discussed the problems with uber insurance yet.

Edited: 26 July 2018, 02:44
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
3. Re: Taking an Uber from Montreal to Burlington, VT

How would I end up on a watch list with a completely valid passport? Also what driver would attempt crossing a border without a passport? I mean this requires about 10 seconds of due diligence. I'll be in Montreal for a few days and I'm sure I will be in a dozen Ubers in that time, so I guess I'll just ask drivers what they think.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: Taking an Uber from Montreal to Burlington, VT

You could also contact a traditional cab company in Burlington (or Montreal) and see what they would charge. A Burlington cabbie has a column in a local newspaper and he writes about taking customers to Montreal fairly often so I think its a fairly common trip for cabbies.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Taking an Uber from Montreal to Burlington, VT

Just found this:

https://www.newenglandtaxi.com/montreal.html

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
13,115 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: Taking an Uber from Montreal to Burlington, VT

I would be very wary of using Uber, their quotes are notoriously off.

Plus you need a driver who can enter the US. Lots of Montreal drivers are foreign born and may need visas for entry into the US.

Look at the taxi firm linked above.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
130 reviews
7. Re: Taking an Uber from Montreal to Burlington, VT

What about hiring a private driver for the day? Just googled hiring a private driver from Montreal to Burlington. About half a dozen private limo services popped up, in addition to other options.

Edited: 26 July 2018, 06:42
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
598 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Taking an Uber from Montreal to Burlington, VT

If your schedule fit, love wasting time at customers ... and have time you could do

- Take the Amtrak adirondack train from Montreal to Port Kent, NY

- Ferry from there to Burlington, VT

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
62 reviews
9. Re: Taking an Uber from Montreal to Burlington, VT

I personally would not risk a uber, have you looked into taking a train?

You mention "Grayhound is sold out on the time/date I need to get from Montreal to Burlington Vermont" if you tell us what the time/date as well as budget is exactly I am sure we can find you a more secure option than uber

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Taking an Uber from Montreal to Burlington, VT

It's not just a matter of the driver having a passport...technically the driver would be working in Canada without a permit, if caught at border, entrance could be denied. Why don't you save yourself some trouble and use a proper transportation company (taxi, train, rental) instead of crossing the border with a total stranger and risk trouble.

Edited: 27 July 2018, 04:01
Reply to: Taking an Uber from Montreal to Burlington, VT
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted