We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice, but baby friendly restaurant for dinner

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
959 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Nice, but baby friendly restaurant for dinner
Save

Hello travelers! Question - traveling to Vancouver this weekend with husband, 6 months old baby, and my mom whose birthday is this weekend. We are staying at Executive Hotel Le Soleil (between gastown and coal harbour). I'm trying to find a restaurant that will be special enough for a birthday dinner, but where we won't feel like we are imposing with a baby. We are willing to eat at 6 pm at a nice place if that's what it takes! Budget - 80 CAN per person, type of food - french, italian, or somewhere not too adventurous, trying to please my mom here! Thank you!

Blue Water Cafe
$$$$, Seafood, Sushi, Canadian
AnnaLena
$$ - $$$, Contemporary, Canadian
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,512 posts
56 reviews
26 helpful votes
1. Re: Nice, but baby friendly restaurant for dinner
Save

Searching the Forum is always a good place to start.

This is from a week ago:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154943-i81-k9958303-Kid_friendly_dinner-Vancouver_British_Columbia.html

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
959 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Nice, but baby friendly restaurant for dinner
Save

Yes, thanks. I saw that, and we actually have placeholder reservations at Forage based on that list. However, since the baby won't be eating at the restaurant, the menu doesn't need to have kids items or be kid friendly, as most of those suggestions were.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
56 reviews
102 helpful votes
3. Re: Nice, but baby friendly restaurant for dinner
Save

The best thing to do is to decide on a restaurant or 3, then call or email them and ask about their baby policy. Most restaurants in Canada (generally) are pretty relaxed and baby-friendly unless it is a bar/sports bar type of place and then that is fairly obvious on their website.

When you choose - do ask them if they provide high chairs. We took our then 10 month old granddaughter to a pleasant pub type restaurant in Calgary, and while they were very welcoming - they looked a bit taken aback when we asked if they had a high chair. It wasn't a problem because she had 6 family members happy to hold her. But it is worth noting.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Nice, but baby friendly restaurant for dinner
Save

https://www.yewseafood.com/

It's in the Four Seasons Hotel and they're noted for a family friendly atmosphere.

Edited: 4 years ago
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,270 posts
132 reviews
82 helpful votes
5. Re: Nice, but baby friendly restaurant for dinner
Save

In Canada most restaurants are baby friendly until there is uncontrolled crying but I am confident that you would not let that happen.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,541 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
6. Re: Nice, but baby friendly restaurant for dinner
Save

HA HA HA! You say that like a parent has some sort of control over a crying baby.

A place with a noisy hubbub might be a good choice. Babies often find it soothing. Yew might be a bit quiet. Carderos would be good.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,791 posts
21 reviews
24 helpful votes
7. Re: Nice, but baby friendly restaurant for dinner
Save

No, he says that like thoughtful parents remove their crying baby from a setting where s/he is disturbing other people.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
58 reviews
12 helpful votes
8. Re: Nice, but baby friendly restaurant for dinner
Save

Check out Oceans 999 in the Pan Pacific. On Saturday's there is live music (Opera, but still interesting) and piano. We liked the wide open space, easy access to public areas and comfy seating away from the restaurant, and general layout. https://www.panpacific.com/en/hotels-resorts/canada/vancouver/stay/dining/oceans-999.html

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Nice, but baby friendly restaurant for dinner
Save

Who would subject their 6 month old baby to opera?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,541 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
10. Re: Nice, but baby friendly restaurant for dinner
Save

LOL Sam.

If you are in the middle of dinner, or its ordered and you are waiting, simply exiting a restaurant when a baby starts crying isn't always practical. Parents are always doing their best, but its very difficult and you don't always have the flexibility to respond in the way you might like. I will often go over to parents dealing with recalcitrant children with a smile and say "I used have a couple of those." just to let them know that many of us have been there and we get it. Its extremely stressful when you know your children are being disruptive; parents don't need more judgement, they need support.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.