We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching in Vancouver in Winter (March)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
4 helpful votes
Whale Watching in Vancouver in Winter (March)
Save

Hello,

My hubby to be and I will be spending our honeymoon in Canada and will be in Vancouver from 5th to 10th of March.

Are there any whale watching tours on during this time? All the sites I've came across state that the season begins in April so we're a few weeks too early :( Appreciate if anyone could confirm, or suggest a company that does tours out of season (Prince of Whales came up a lot but, at the moment, I can't see any March tours on their website). I don't mind if the tours leave from Vancouver or Vancouver Island.

Thank you!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Whale Watching in Vancouver in Winter (March)
Save

Even though Cetacea frequent local waters year round rough ocean conditions generally preclude WW trips in winter & early spring.

You 'might' find a trip out of Victoria if a company can generate interest I've seen Eagle Wing on the water crossing Constance Bank that early in the year.

You'll need to contact each company individually and let them know you're interested.

Berlin, Germany
9 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Whale Watching in Vancouver in Winter (March)
Save

Whale watching opportunities in March around Vancouver Island are very limited. The main target species from Vancouver/Victoria are orcas and humpback whales, and neither are relieably present in early spring. The resident orcas don`t arrive before May (later in the summer is much better, I am not sure how relieable sightings in May are - probably not very much). Transient orcas may pass through the waters any time of the year, but in small numbers, and the chance to see them on a single trip is almost zero. Humpback whales come back from breeding around May.

The only species that are abundent in March are the grey whales on their return from their migration to Mexico. They can only be seen on the west coast (Tofino), not Vancouver or Victoria. And since the weather is usually not good, I doubt that any companies from Ucluelet or Torfino are running tours to see the grey whales in March. You can ask, though.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
539 reviews
523 helpful votes
3. Re: Whale Watching in Vancouver in Winter (March)
Save

The 31st annual Pacific Rim Whale Festival will be on in mid-March in Tofino. Whale watching opportunities from shore and on boats.

http://www.pacificrimwhalefestival.com/

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
31,370 posts
115 reviews
79 helpful votes
4. Re: Whale Watching in Vancouver in Winter (March)
Save

Thanks for that post Dave! I must remember to book my stay at the Black Rock Resort for that weekend. It's the last weekend that the stay for 3, pay for 2 promotion for the one bedroom suites.

And congrats on 5000 posts too!

5. Re: Whale Watching in Vancouver in Winter (March)

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2017, 12:17
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.