We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz Rental Report - June 2016

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,245 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
Hertz Rental Report - June 2016
Save

We don't see enough rental car "reviews" on here, especially positive ones, so thought I would add a review of a personal experience.

This rental was for a one week trip in June. Hertz office was busy. Staff seemed inexperienced and some one was directing them every few minutes. A lukewarm but pleasant staffer began to start the rental process in textbook fashion. I have rented with Hertz before but he started a new file anyway. No upselling except for a mild offer to upgrade us to a pickup truck. Too funny. He couldn't enter my credit card info for some reason. Someone reassigned him to a waiting customer. I got a new staffer who knew how to enter the CC info. Got the car I was expecting with a 10% BCAA discount built in to the booking process.

I had a few questions about the car and the rental. Then I asked about the Port Mann toll. Upshot of the toll was: "You can pay, use the one time payment option and the licence number of the car, keep the receipts. We use a third party to deal with the toll charges, you may hear from them in 2-3 months, even 4 months."

Checked over the car with the very helpful staffer. All okay. Staffer marked an X on the pre-rental inspection page's fuel scale right on the 'F' of Full and mentioned that she was marking it "a little bit less than full" and to return the car with the tank filled to the same level. Small niggle pulsed here.

Returned the car out of hours and took cell phone photos of the now completed form on the front cover of the rental folder. I did not take photos of the exterior of the car because I don't think Hertz work at finding every little nick and dent to charge you for.

I paid the toll for the outbound Port Mann Bridge the day after crossing and for the inbound crossing a week later, again the day after crossing. Interestingly, the licence plate was registered to an Audi which was not our car. Treo sent email receipts almost immediately for each payment, which I kept.

Returning to Vancouver I filled the tank in Chilliwack, pretty sure it would get me to the rental location with the same fuel level that I started with. It actually did just that. Should have bought a lottery ticket.

I did not get a final statement of charges by email from Hertz, so emailed them. Apparently it was in my account in the Hertz website. Got the emailed statement from Hertz a few days later to find the cost was $7 more than the quote. Turned out it was for topping up with gas. Niggle confirmed.

Then I waited. Two weeks after the rental, I got a toll bill from Hertz Processing Centre for $21, with a deadline of one week to file a dispute by fax. This was for $3.15 x 2 plus their processing fee. Otherwise the charge would be put through. I faxed the necessary documents and got an immediate acknowledgement, then an email 3 days later saying I would be credited with the full amount to my CC in the next 5 business days.

No drama with the pick up. No drama with the return. Thought Hertz was straightfoward throughout their rental process.

Next time will ask them to send someone to fill the tank so that it is clear the tank is full. The car had not been prepared for pickup. It needed a wash and a fuel top up. The interior was fine and the car handled fine. Communication from Hertz was good, except for the final statement, and included an email acknowledging the reservation, a reminder that my rental date was approaching, then nothing.

I would easily rent from Hertz again. 4 out of 5 green circles.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
28,616 posts
27 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Hertz Rental Report - June 2016
Save

Was this a downtown or off airport location?

Just a note for others: I would make every effort to take a different route that avoids the Port Mann Bridge unless you get really familiar with the electronic payment system called TREO.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,245 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
2. Re: Hertz Rental Report - June 2016
Save

It was a location outside downtown, cb.

Denham Springs...
3 posts
3. Re: Hertz Rental Report - June 2016
Save

We are planning on a 3 night stay in Vancouver before our cruise next May and plan to rent a car. There will be 4 adults in our party and we are staying in the Times Square Suites close to Stanley Park. Our plans are to run the Sea to Sky Highway to Whistler, visit Vancouver Lookout, Lynn Canyon, Queen Elizabeth Park and Grouse Mountain (and anything else that we may find of interest). Suggestions are appreciated.

We like the idea of a rental car to give us more flexibility, but are wondering if it would be less hassle to take the shuttles/public transit than to find parking? Enterprise has a decent rate for picking the car up at the airport and returning to the cruise ship terminal, so we will miss the hassle of taking a cab to the hotel and the cruise terminal. Just trying to weigh the options. Any input would be appreciated.

Level Contributor
268 posts
4. Re: Hertz Rental Report - June 2016
Save

I have heard very good reports about Avis- a reputable company, and easy to book with.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,245 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
5. Re: Hertz Rental Report - June 2016
Save

Hi Kathy ~

Usually posting in an established thread means offering suggestions or advice to the OP (Original Poster). As you are asking a question for your own trip, it would be better to start your own thread. Use the "Ask a question" button which can be found on the main page of this forum which shows the list of topics, just above the "Last post" date.

6. Re: Hertz Rental Report - June 2016

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2017, 13:17
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.