We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7am dock with cruise 9pm flight out of vancouver, what to do

Staffordshire...
6 posts
7am dock with cruise 9pm flight out of vancouver, what to do
Save

Hi,

I have planned a trip that involves a cruise from San Diego to Vancouver, my cruise arrives in Vancouver on at 7:00am but my flight out of Vancouver isn't until 9:00pm.

Can anyone give any advice on what I could do within this time and if it is worth booking on the trip with the cruise that gives you a tour of Vancouver then drops you at the airport, although I think this will drop be and the airport very early for my flight.

Thanks in advance

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,541 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
1. Re: 7am dock with cruise 9pm flight out of vancouver, what to do
Save

The challenge is what t do with your luggage for the day. There is a luggage storage option at Canada place, but using the cruise ship tour would solve that problem. You would need to be at the airport between 5-6 pm for an international flight anyway.

Staffordshire...
6 posts
2. Re: 7am dock with cruise 9pm flight out of vancouver, what to do
Save

My issue is the tour organised by the cruise is for 2.5hours and starts at 9 so would be hanging around the airport for some time as would've arriving there around lunch time.

Do you know if there is much before security like somewhere to get some food and kill some time

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,541 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
3. Re: 7am dock with cruise 9pm flight out of vancouver, what to do
Save

The airport is quite a nice place to hang around if that's what you have to do, but its not your only option. I believe there are other tours that will meet you off the ships and take your luggage before dropping you at the airport, so you might be able to find a private provider who does a longer tour. You could store your luggage either at the cruise dock or at the airport, then you are free to spend the day without luggage. Its pretty easy to get back into the city on public transit from the airport and its only a 30 minute trip.

Once you have figure out if you want to put your luggage into storage for the day or if you just want to go to the airport and kill time, we can make additional suggestions, but I think you need to sort that part out first.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,245 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
4. Re: 7am dock with cruise 9pm flight out of vancouver, what to do
Save

You will probably be through Canada Customs in Vancouver by about 8h30 or 9 am. Then you would want to leave downtown by 5h30 pm to go to the airport, either by Canada Line or by taxi, for a 6 pm checkin.

You might check with your cruise line if they have a luggage transfer service to the airport. In the past, I have seen this on offer for flights out of Vancouver after 4 pm. There would be a charge.

There is also a baggage storage facility at the cruise ship pier in Canada Place where you could leave your luggage for the day.

So this leaves you with about 8 hours. You could look into what sightseeing tours Landsea Tours has. They offer several tour options, some short, some more comprehensive. You could also walk for a while. Walk west on the Coal Harbour seawall to Denman and Georgia. Rent bikes from Spokes there and cycle around and through Stanley Park. Visit the Aquarium if that is of interest. That could take 2-4 hours. Cycle to English Bay and to Sunset Beach where the Vancouver Aquatic harbour ferry dock is located. Take the little harbour ferry over to Granville Island for lunch and a looksee for about 2 hours. Return your bikes and take an eastbound bus on Georgia St outside Spokes to Gastown. #19 Metrotown bus, or a bus beginning with the number 2 will take you to Seymour St and within a few minutes walk over to the entrance to Gastown at Cordova and Water Streets. #19 will take you the closest. Spend an hour here, have a bite to eat before your flight if necessary. Walk the 10 min back to Canada Place to pick up your luggage and head to the airport. You can adjust these time estimates according to what you need to do in terms of time available.

Whistler, Canada
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
28 reviews
24 helpful votes
5. Re: 7am dock with cruise 9pm flight out of vancouver, what to do
Save

http://www.cdsbaggage.ca

This is the company that you can store your luggage with at Canada Place. They also facilitate the airport. They offer a service where you can store your luggage with them and have them deliver it to YVR. That way if you're touring around town you don't have to go back to Canada Place to pick up your bags.

With all the options I'm sure you'll fill out all your time but there's the Vida Spa located at the Fairmont Airport Hotel. I've often booked myself in for a massage prior to my flight. There's also the McAurther Glen outlet one Skytrain stop away from the airport for last minute shopping.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
10 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: 7am dock with cruise 9pm flight out of vancouver, what to do
Save

hi Rhiannon

have you been on tour cruise yet.

if so, I am enquiring how it worked out for you leaving the luggage for a few hours.

we have to disembark our ship by 10am, they do offer a transfer to the airport but that will be much too early for our evening flight.

there are no recent posts giving anyone's first hand experience of leaving their luggage at Canada Place then transferring to the airport. The left luggage company's website is not clear if we need to pre book and I have read that the the taxi ranks could be busy. It doesn't help that it will be Canada Day and therefore busy.

Ideally, I would like just one company who can both store luggage and transfer to the airport, all prebooked.

We don't want to use public transport as it is just too much hassle with both a wheelchair and luggage.

thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,245 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
7. Re: 7am dock with cruise 9pm flight out of vancouver, what to do
Save

gem ~

Post 5 describes the service by CDS Baggage at Canada Place where you can store your luggage and have them transfer it later to the airport and includes a link to CDS Baggage.

Here is the link again, in which there is an email to use to make any enquiries. Pre booking is an option: http://www.cdsbaggage.ca/

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
10 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: 7am dock with cruise 9pm flight out of vancouver, what to do
Save

thanks MUfti,

I have emailed them already enquiring if we need to pre book.

as a local do you think we should pre book a taxi for our airport transfer from Canada Place especially as it will be Canada Day?

throughout the world it is not unusual for only certain taxi companies to be allowed into Cruise terminals ( security reasons) , are you aware of any specific companies ?

thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,245 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
9. Re: 7am dock with cruise 9pm flight out of vancouver, what to do
Save

gem ~

What time is your flight in the evening? The ship will be loading new passengers by 2 pm, and will sail somewhere between 5 and 6 pm. You need to allow a generous 3.5 hours to get to the airport from Canada Place because you will want to allow 3 hours to go through the check in process. That's with cab wheels rolling. I think you could pick up your luggage, go through the connecting doors to the Pan Pacific Hotel, go out to the curb where the doorman will call up a cab from the taxi rank and you'll be on your way. Or cross the street to the Fairmont Waterfront where the doorman there will call from the same taxi rank.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
10 reviews
6 helpful votes
10. Re: 7am dock with cruise 9pm flight out of vancouver, what to do
Save

hi Mufti,

thanks for the information on where best to hail a taxi at Canada Place.

our flight is at 6.30pm so we plan to board a taxi around 3.00pm. As we expect to be off the ship by 10pm that will leave us 5 hours to fill. As we would have already had 2 days in Vancouver prior to the cruise we won't be wandering far. Perhaps visit the Flyer experience, walk to Gastown, have lunch or just join in the festivities at Canada Place . Although I expect this might be problematic with a wheelchair as photos show dense crowds.

Hi Rhiannon,

I came across this company during my research

https://westcoastsightseeing.com

they offer a great service of storing your luggage ( I think they may even deliver it to the airport) and then take you on a coach tour and then deliver you to Vancouver airport. They suggested the City and Lookout tour to fit in with our timetable.

when are you taking your trip? We don't go until June 2017, if you go before I would appreciate it if you could update us on how you spent the day. There must be thousands of cruisers each year with the same dilemma of luggage storage and late flights. Although I must say Vancouver cruise terminal seems to be very well organised compared with many other city ports.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.