We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Five days in Vancouver

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
68 reviews
35 helpful votes
Five days in Vancouver
Save

We arrive YVR Sunday June 26th at 10h18. Staying at Times Sq Suites for five nights. We will not have a car. We are a family of four w/ girls 9 and 11.

We don't want our Vancouver stay to be too structured, but based on research here and elsewhere, I think we would plan to hit the following attractions, in no particular order:

1. Stanley Park - incl aquarium? - bike rental? - picnic lunch?

2. Granville Island - good for a whole day?

3. Museum of Anthropolgy - is that at UBC?

4. Canada Place - Science Centre / IMAX? Is this in the False Creek district?

5. What else is "must see"? Ideally that we could tag on to above list.

I believe there is a Safeway across the street from our hotel, so we will use that for b-fast in.

Any restaurant advice is welcome for both casual fare and a couple of higher-end places.

Logistics: I have been told to take a taxi from the airport as the Canada Line stop is not super close to our hotel - agree?

I need to get to H-shoe Bay for a 9h55 ferry on July 1st. We are booked w/ car, but apparently still must check-in by 8h30? So I am picking up car at AVIS (Hornby St) at 7:30 then family at hotel. Is that reasonable?

Thanks!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Five days in Vancouver
Save

That neighbourhood is replete with great little places to eat here are a few

http://www.tacoscatrina.ca/

http://www.acaciafillobar.com/

http://spaghetei.com/

https://www.facebook.com/chewypeppers1992/

http://www.surakoreancuisine.com/ (more upscale)

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
16,745 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
2. Re: Five days in Vancouver
Save

Yes, Taxi will be flat rate and easier with 4 people.

If you have a reservation for the 8:55 ferry you must be AT the ticket booth absolutely no later than 8:25. If you arrive at 8:26 you will forfeit your reservation and go into the general boarding line up. You could possibly get on the ferry but you could also have a 1 or 2 sailing wait.

I'd actually consider picking up the car the night before and paying for parking for one night. It will take at least 30 minutes to drive to the ferry from downtown..plus you have to load luggage, pick up family etc. Car rental paperwork usually takes at least 1/2 hour. I think it's highly unlikely you'll make the 8:25 cut off with that schedule.

Ferry reservations require you to be AT the ticket window between 1 and 1/2 hour ahead of the sailing. If you're a bit earlier than the 1 hour I've found you can still be allowed through but I personally have missed a reservation by 1 minute due to the late arrival at the airport of my passenger. We had to wait for the next sailing which fortunately was only 1 hour.

July 1 is a holiday here and a Friday so the ferries could be very very busy. Change your car reservation for 1 day earlier and plan to be packed and leaving Times Square Suites by 7:30..7:40 at the very latest.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
34,201 posts
16 reviews
25 helpful votes
3. Re: Five days in Vancouver
Save

Right next to the hotel - Tavola - very nice, neighbourhood, restaurant that's family friendly.

Yes - Museum of Anthropology is at UBC. Also check out the Nitobe Gardens and Beaty Biodiversity Museum on the UBC grounds.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
4. Re: Five days in Vancouver
Save

1. Stanley Park is definitely a full day, with or without bike rental. There are options to eat inside the park, but a picnic is a fun option that offers full flexibility. There's several swimming beaches, but also a water park and a swimming pool, so pack for that. The aquarium is very good, there's also a miniature train ride in that area and a terrific adventure playground near by. Finish the day with tickets to a TUTS show in the park

http://www.tuts.ca

They have vendors on site, or you can eat first and the near by Stanley Park Pavillion.

2. Granville Island would be a stretch for a full day. Its certainly good for several hours, but you may want to tack on something else. My top choice would be the False Creek Ferries and/or Aquabus to cruise around False Creek, hopping off wherever you feel you might be interested. One of the stops is at Science World, but that may be a bit too much to include all in one day. One of my kids favourite dining places is in Olympic Village at Tap and Barrel, so that's a thought. You might also walk up the shoreline to Vanier Park where you will find Bard on the Beach (another option for an evening show), the Planetarium and Space Centre, the Maritime Museum, the Museum of Vancouver, and then just around the corner of Kits Point, you'll find Kits Beach and the wonderful Kits Pool.

3. Yes, the Museum of Anthropology is out at UBC. Out that way you can also find the lovely Nitobe Garden, the Beatty Biodiversity Museum and the UBC Botanical garden, which has a canopy walk, so plenty of reason to head out that way. On your back from UBC, stop into Neverland for a classic high tea experience your girls won't forget.

http://neverlandtea.com

4. You have your geography mixed up. Canada Place is a convention centre on Coal Harbour which also serves as our cruise ship terminal. It no longer has an Imax theatre, it has been replaced with the Fly Over Canada experience. Canada Place and Coal Harbour are lovely and quite different to the False Creek side of the city. Very close to Gastown, which is a funky shopping district by day with some good dining options.

5. What you have completely missed that ranks as 'must-see' in my books is all the north shore attractions: Grouse Mountain, Cleaveland Dam, Capilano Fish Hatchery, Capilano River regional park, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Lynn Canyon, Ambleside Beach and Peir, Lonsdale Quay, Lighthouse Park. These are all accessible without a car, and its a fun ride across the harbour on the sea bus.

6. To access your ferry reservation from Horseshoe Bay, you need to be **at the gate** between 30 and 60 minutes before sailing. Your reservation will not be honoured if you are there at 61 minutes before, nor 29 minutes before. You need to consider and allow for potential lines getting to the gate, so don't push it too close to either end of that window. For a 9:55 sailing, the earliest you could claim your reservation would be 8:55. However, I"m not sure if you will hit counterflow congestion getting out of town via the Lions Gate bridge at that time of the morning, so you will want to allow for a bit of extra travel time just in case. Your 7:30 pick up time will give you a healthy margin.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
5. Re: Five days in Vancouver
Save

(that took me so long to spit out that other similar posts have come in in the meantime. :>)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,241 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
6. Re: Five days in Vancouver
Save

1. Oui, oui, et oui!

2. No, maybe 3 hours. But make it a full day by walking down Denman to English Bay, on east to the Aquatic Centre where you can take the little harbour ferry across to GI. You could then take a False Creek Ferry or the Aquabus all the way down False Creek (25 min?) to Science World. Science World is not at Canada Place. It's at Main St and Terminal on a map.

Canada Place has Fly Over Canada.

3. Yes, and a 45-60 min bus ride one way.

Agree, taxi from the airport. Flat rate of either $35 or $37, check on that. Not a flat rate returning to the airport.

Horseshoe Bay. Traffic out of the city will be easy at that time of day on Canada Day. Allow 30-35 min to drive from the TSS to the ferry. 7h30 car pick up (register with Avis' loyalty program, free, for smoother service at the counter), 8h00 leave Avis, 8h15 pick up family, 8h30 depart TSS, 9h00 arrive HB, 55 min ahead of ferry departure. If you have a reservation for the 9h55 sailing, you will be fine. Does "booked w/" mean that you have a ressie?

Why do you think check in by 8h30? What's happening there? With a reservation, you claim your ressie for the 9h55 am ferry will be between 8h55 and 9h25 and pay the ferry fare at the ticket booth. If you don't have a ressie, 55 min ahead of sailing might get you on the 9h55. It's a popular ferry time but no idea how many others will be travelling on that day.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
16,745 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
7. Re: Five days in Vancouver
Save

Sorry for some reason I read the ferry sailing as the 8:55 LOL so ignore my caution about picking up the car the night before. FWIW I have been able to check in early for a ferry reservation..both times about 10 minutes ahead of the 1 hour.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,241 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
8. Re: Five days in Vancouver
Save

Ha, ha, me too. Only post 1 was there when I started typing.

Edited: 4 years ago
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
9. Re: Five days in Vancouver
Save

Good to know BC Ferries is more flexible about the 60 minute before sailing time frame. I guess I just assumed it was a case that I would have been on that ferry anyway. The few times I've reserved, I haven't needed it. Would have got on the ferry I was aiming for anyway.

Edited: 4 years ago
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
5 helpful votes
10. Re: Five days in Vancouver
Save

Take a shuttle bus up to Capilano Suspension Bridge park. Transportation is free and there is a lot to see and do there. Just ask your hotel where the nearest pick up spot is for the free shuttle.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.