We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable vegetarian-friendly restaurant with a view

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
879 posts
1 review
Affordable vegetarian-friendly restaurant with a view
Save

Hi all,

We will in Vancouver at the beginning of July.

Can you please recommend any restaurants that cater for vegetarians which also has a nice view of the city or of the coast / Marina / mountains?

It does not have to solely cater for vegetarians (I am a meat eater).

We will be on a slight budget, so couldn't afford anything 5*.

Thanks in advance.

Black + Blue
$$$$, Steakhouse, Canadian, Grill
Glowbal
$$ - $$$, American, Bar, Seafood
Salmon n' Bannock Bistro
$$ - $$$, Canadian, Native American
Coombs
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
311 reviews
137 helpful votes
1. Re: Affordable vegetarian-friendly restaurant with a view
Save

I am a vegetarian and my husband a meat eater. We just ate at the Sylvia Hotel which is in English Bay and they had some nice choices and across from the beach. There is Earls and some others down in that area too.

I find that in Vancouver most places will have vegetarian options, unless you go to a Korean or Eastern European restaurant.

you can usually find most of the menus on the internet on Happy Cow Vancouver

https://www.happycow.net/north_america/canada/british_columbia/vancouver/

Edited: 4 years ago
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
879 posts
1 review
2. Re: Affordable vegetarian-friendly restaurant with a view
Save

Thanks. Is it easily accessible from Downtown without a car?

Coombs
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
311 reviews
137 helpful votes
3. Re: Affordable vegetarian-friendly restaurant with a view
Save

the Sylvia hotel is located on English Bay which is a nice area to walk , especially in the evening. If you like to walk you can do so from Downtown. Follow Robson Street to Denman and then head left towards the water. It is around a 1/2 hour walk. Or a bus or cab ride if you don't want to walk that far both ways. It is not too far from the entrance to Stanley Park.

It is an old hotel covered in ivy and has a lot of charm. The bar serves the same menu and has recently been re done. There are a lot of restaurants near Denman/Robson/Davie area.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,245 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
4. Re: Affordable vegetarian-friendly restaurant with a view
Save

IMO, you are best to choose restaurants for their food and not their view location. Restaurants with views do not necessarily equate to good food. You can always walk the seawall for the good views.

My two most recent experiences at the Sylvia were mixed. The one in the lounge for lunch (restaurant was not open) was fine, food was good and well presented, lovely plate glass windows, service was good, armchairs were low rise, meaning it felt a bit like chin-on-table.

The last experience was abysmal. I ordered the Moroccan Vegetable Lentil Stew, which sounded quite good, and should be good for the Sylvia Hotel. First they didn't have a clean pot for it!! then it took an hour. The server asked me if I would like something else, but it had been 45 minutes or so at that point and I really wanted to try the dish. The description said "Carrots, onions, bell peppers, celery, beans, lentils, jasmine rice & mint raita." When it came it was a mewling dish of brown pablum. Except for a few small specks of orange (carrots?) not a shred of evidence of veg. The taste was bland and insipid. I could not eat it so ordered coffee and dessert which came quickly. So maybe don't order "exotic." That said, I very much like both the restaurant and lounge's position in front of house directly overlooking English Bay. I would go again but not trust their kitchen quite the same way.

If by your question you mean is the Sylvia Hotel Downtown, yes it definitely is. All downtown is accessible without a car. Transit and walking are easy and transit is convenient.

Sylvia Hotel menu: https://sylviahotel.com/restaurant/

Restaurants that you might consider for views of Burrard Inlet, Vancouver Harbour, False Creek, the city are following, you will have to check their proprietorial websites for menu items and "affordable":

The Teahouse in Stanley Park

Lift Bar and Grill

Cardero's

Cactus Club Cafe at Canada Place

Cactus Club Cafe at English Bay

Dockside on Granville Island

Bridges on Granville Island

Top of Vancouver Revolving Restaurant at the top of Harbour Centre, across from Waterfront Station

Pier 7 Restaurant + Bar, next to Lonsdale Quay after a 15 min ride on the Seabus from Waterfront Station

Seasons in the Park at Queen Elizabeth Park

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,497 posts
454 reviews
405 helpful votes
5. Re: Affordable vegetarian-friendly restaurant with a view
Save

Click the link below. It is a list of all Vegetarian Restaurants in Vancouver. More than like most will not have a view, but will have the food you are looking for. Good eating to you.

https://www.happycow.net/north_america/canada/british_columbia/vancouver/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,541 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
6. Re: Affordable vegetarian-friendly restaurant with a view
Save

I very much doubt you will find a restaurant that doesn't offer some veggie options. You can also enquire about substitutions to a non-veggie dish.

Cactus Club on the English Bay side, Carderos on the Coal Harbour side and the Tap and Barrel in Olympic Village for a great False Creek view are my choices.

7. Re: Affordable vegetarian-friendly restaurant with a view

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2017, 12:18
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.