We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
463 posts
21 reviews
17 helpful votes
What to pack?
Save

Hello, I'll be arriving in Vancouver on Wednesday and staying for 10 days. Today I have the task of packing but can only see the weather forecast up until a week Tuesday which just looks to be wet.

I know it's impossible to predict the exact weather but how's the weather now? More showers than constant rain and also how cold? I'm from Wales where it's cold and raining 90% of the time so I'm used to it unfortunately. I plan on doing the usual touristy stuff so am I going to need plenty of warm layers and wellies? Don't want to go overboard on the jumpers if I won't need them.

Also,with regards to going out of an evening would just jeans and a top be ok rather than a dress?

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
9,758 posts
24 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: What to pack?
Save

Probably about the same as Wales, maybe a bit warmer. Your idea to bring layers is perfect with a rain slicker and umbrella to top it off. As wellies take up a lot of suitcase room, do you have some waterproof shoes instead?

For evening, jeans are probably okay but more dressy pants might be better - no dress required.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: What to pack?
Save

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-74_metric_e.html

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
463 posts
21 reviews
17 helpful votes
3. Re: What to pack?
Save

Well I have a pair of boots then was just going to bring converse so hopefully it won't be too torrential. Jeans will be black/smart so hopefully ok,if not I guess I'll just have to go shopping!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
172 reviews
111 helpful votes
4. Re: What to pack?
Save

Yes, very similar to Wales, where I grew up. Maybe a little cooler in the winter and warmer in the summer. The biggest difference is in the rainfall, which in Wales in fairly even throughout the year. Here though, there is way more rain in the winter, and little during the summer.

It will be quite a bit cooler if you headed up to say Whistler, or took a trip to the east up into the mountains.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,240 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
5. Re: What to pack?
Save

You will want to being clothes that you can wear in layers. Temps here right now are in the 10C range with a good day having the potential to surge to 15 and a cool day to hover around 7C. Yesterday I spent a fair bit of time outside with a light sweater under an unlined Goretex type jacket. Jacket hood came in handy in the p.m.'s light showers. But inside I soon became warm and if I'd had to stay inside would have wanted to get that sweater off. When near the water, (Harbour, False Creek, beaches) you will feel cold with the air coming off it.

Short sleeved shirt

No long sleeved turtle neck poly/cotton shirt needed at this time of year.

Long sleeved zippered sweater or fleecy

Waterproof, light weight jacket with hood

Long pants (3 pr?)

A pair of shoes, water proof or at least water resistant, if you are going to be outside a fair bit if it rains. These do not need to be industrial strength, just ones that will keep your feet dry. No Wellies needed. A pair of Nike type sneakers for comfortable walking. (Newspaper to scrunch and fill the toes of wet shoes overnight, if necessary.)

What does go out of an evening mean? Accessories on the clothes you bring would be fine as Vancouverites generally dress in mufti for almost all occasions. Even to theatre and opera performances (although you should have patches on any stress holes in the jeans. <grin>) No one bats an eye.

North Vancouver...
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
12,015 posts
201 reviews
423 helpful votes
6. Re: What to pack?
Save

Jeans are common. This is not a formal city. The weather stats in the newspaper or internet lie. They show the airport which is affected by being right at sea level and right on the shore. Today out my door is only 1°C higher but the other day it was 6°C higher at 18°C. There were folks in shorts. Some were driving with the top down. Blossoms are out all over. (other years have had snow at this time) As you noted, anything you don't bring can be bought and likely at prices cheaper than home so no need to pack heavy. Oh, and many folks here have no idea what a "jumper" is.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
16,745 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
7. Re: What to pack?
Save

For evening black dressy jeans are fine. It's my standard travel wear..with a simple black top and a variety of scarves you'll be fine. Converse will also do for evening out..Vancouver is super casual.

Raining right now..supposed to be sunny tomorrow then more rain for a few days but should start to clear..and weather here is notoriously unpredictable.

Definitely a bit on the cool side but normal for this time of year. Friend posted a photo of same date 5 years ago..and where I live ( a suburb) was covered snow..lol

North Vancouver...
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
12,015 posts
201 reviews
423 helpful votes
8. Re: What to pack?
Save

Ha, blue sky in North Vancouver. 10C at noon.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
16,745 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
9. Re: What to pack?
Save

Rub it in :( but I sure can't see any blue (I can see the Lions' Gate and Bowen Island from where I sit typing) are you sure it's not just those ski goggles you north shore folks wear LOL

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
463 posts
21 reviews
17 helpful votes
10. Re: What to pack?
Save

Haha oh yeah....sorry a jumper is a sweater,thin ones though not like a sweatshirt/hoodie type. I'm sure I'll end up bringing plenty I won't even wear,I've given up on the packing for today so it can just wait until last minute and maybe I'll be more impulsive haha.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.