We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not-so-costly Yellow Fever vaccine?

Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
576 reviews
212 helpful votes
Not-so-costly Yellow Fever vaccine?
Save

Just wondering where one can get not-so-costly Yellow Fever vaccine in Vancouver (not worried about contracting it but having it is a condition of carriage for the particular mode of transportation).

Travel Clinin in town wants $40 for the consult + $130 for the vaccine. They can stamp the inoculation record.

With a prescription (so free consult on MSP), one can get it at very few select pharmacies - administered the pharmacist - but it costs the same $130 and there may be problems with validating the vaccine record . Not sure if one buys it from the pharmacy, one can bring it to a doctor to have it administered and more importantly, have inoculation record recoqnised.

Any suggestions? Or should I just bite the bullet at Travel Clinic?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
16,745 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
1. Re: Not-so-costly Yellow Fever vaccine?
Save

It's not something you can buy cheaply..and not even always available. Not sure why pharmacist couldn't sign record?. Ask your GP about that. When I had the vaccine you got a special record that was then put in vaccine record...it's not just stamped in your usual card..takes almost a whole page of space.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,745 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
2. Re: Not-so-costly Yellow Fever vaccine?
Save

Forgot to mention..while there's a big list of providers most usually don't stock YF so be sure to have lots of lead time.

Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
576 reviews
212 helpful votes
3. Re: Not-so-costly Yellow Fever vaccine?
Save

The YF record of 11 years ago (mine expired last year) was a sticky page (yellow of course) stuck onto the booklet. The space calls for signature and professional status of the vaccinator and the stamp of the vaccination centre. I have to inquire if they can do this but an employee at one of the pharmacies I called that has it wasn't sure if they could stamp it.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,745 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
4. Re: Not-so-costly Yellow Fever vaccine?
Save

For the extra $40 I'd just bite the bullet and go to travel clinic...your time spent tooing and frooing to get Dr 's consult ( which may not actually be free) then getting vaccine etc is probably worth more than the $40

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
510 posts
1 review
5. Re: Not-so-costly Yellow Fever vaccine?
Save

Bite the bullet and pay the extra. Not sure if it has changed but about 10 years ago I needed one for a park I was visiting in Colombia and they required that I had it a minimum of 10 days before I entered the park as it apparently takes awhile to be fully effective,. I managed to get it just in time.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
64 reviews
94 helpful votes
6. Re: Not-so-costly Yellow Fever vaccine?
Save

I got mine last year from the travel clinic. It's a full page that they staple to your booklet. It's got the stamp plus the lot number of the vaccine. Yes the travel clinic is expensive but it's still a fraction of the total cost of your holidays.

7. Re: Not-so-costly Yellow Fever vaccine?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2016, 13:17
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.