We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train travel from Vancouver to Toronto

Hinsdale, IL
Level Contributor
2 posts
79 reviews
39 helpful votes
train travel from Vancouver to Toronto
Save

I am interested in taking the train from Vancouver to (Possibly) Toronto. Any comments or suggestions?

Mimi Browning

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: train travel from Vancouver to Toronto
Save

Pack a large picnic and wear comfortable loose fitting clothing.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,241 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
2. Re: train travel from Vancouver to Toronto
Save

I think you would be quite unhappy by the time you got to Toronto. We have BC with its spectacular mountains. At least you leave Vancouver in the evening so are sleeping before the big show, which is approaching the Rockies by daylight into Jasper. Then from Edmonton to Thunder Bay, you have days of flat prairie land and are looking at your watch after the novelty wears off by lunch. From Thunder Bay to Sudbury, you've got the Canadian Shield of rock upon rock (because receding glaciers clawed back all the topsoil) and endless silver birch trees ("my paddle's keen and bright, home of the beaver ....." which you would not experience in the train version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cklPnjjiQuw&feature=related ). Checking watch again. And finally from Sudbury down to Toronto you gradually re-enter the big smoke.

I would absolutely check the fares for Van-Tor compared to flying. See Air Canada and WestJet. If you can get a discounted fare upper berth with meals it's $1000, a regular fare upper berth with meals is $1500. That's for the end of Sept. If you departed on a Tuesday evening, you would arrive in Toronto the next Saturday morning. Interestingly, the upper berths discounted fare is sold out for several days at the end of Sept so people do it.

If you wanted a taste of train travel, I would say limit it to going to Edmonton, then fly the rest of the way to Toronto. And even then half of that 24 hours will be sleeping. You might consider stopping in Jasper for a couple of days to experience the Rockies before picking up the next train to Edmonton.

Edited: 9 years ago
Hinsdale, IL
Level Contributor
2 posts
79 reviews
39 helpful votes
3. Re: train travel from Vancouver to Toronto
Save

This is extremely helpful and confirms what I was thinking.

Many Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,241 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
4. Re: train travel from Vancouver to Toronto
Save

Glad to help.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: train travel from Vancouver to Toronto
Save

"my paddle's keen and bright, home of the beaver...."

Actually it's 'My paddle's keen and bright flashing with silver"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUgHzMPflek&feature=related

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,241 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
6. Re: train travel from Vancouver to Toronto
Save

Yep, mixing up the songs. Such a long time ago. :-o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_the_Silver_Birch

Dib, dib, dib

Edited: 9 years ago
7. Re: train travel from Vancouver to Toronto

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 13:15
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.