We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver and around for 9 days for a family

Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
Vancouver and around for 9 days for a family
Save

Hello,

We are planning a 9 days trip to Vancouver area and would like your feedback on the itinerary. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (9 and 11).

June 25 - arrive to Vancouver and stay in downtown area until June 28 (stay 3 nights)

June 28 - rent a car and drive to Harrison Hot Springs (stay for 2 nights - is it too long?)

June 30 - drive to Whistler (stay for 2 nights)

July 2 - back to Vancouver, return a car

July 3 - Vancouver (Granville Island, beach)

July 4 - flight home

I don't think we can fit the Vancouver island, but does a day trip to Victoria worth it?

Should we stay at Harrison hot spring for 1 night instead of 2? Not sure if they allow access to the pools before the check-in and after check-out times?

Thank you!

15 replies to this topic
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,366 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Vancouver and around for 9 days for a family
Save

It sounds fine/well thought out but posters here are fans of Vancouver Island-as am I-it beats the pants off anything else.

So two days Vancouver and then head west o'er the water!

Edited: 08 June 2021, 05:52
Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Vancouver and around for 9 days for a family
Save

Thank you SamSalmon. Thank you for your feedback.

I think going to Vancouver island will require more planning and I'm afraid we'll no be able to book accommodation for 4 for a reasonable price. What would be your itinerary for the island if we don't camp and have to book hotels or similar?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
27,584 posts
123 reviews
185 helpful votes
3. Re: Vancouver and around for 9 days for a family
Save

Vancouver and Whistler are not exactly "budget" destinations. I'm not sure that you'll find them any less expensive than Vancouver Island.

A possible itinerary would really depend on your interests, of which you've given no indication.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Vancouver and around for 9 days for a family
Save

Are you planning for this year or 2022?

This year? Better get crackin’ then.

The money spent on a five day rental car to drive aaaaaaaal the way out to Harrison, then aaaaaaaaal the way back to Vancouver and aaaaaaaaaal the way to Whistler, could put you on a float plane to Victoria, where you don't need a car. You can get cheaper accommodation and the kids could have lots of fun on beaches, bug museums, miniature world, harbor ferries, whale tours, hot dogs and ice cream. Waaaaaaaay, waaaaaaaaaay more funner than Harrison or Whistler.

https://2traveldads.com/victoria-with-kids-things-to-do/

https://pintsizepilot.com/family-activities-victoria-bc-with-kids/

Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Vancouver and around for 9 days for a family
Save

Thank you T4Tim. This is very helpful. I'll be researching it now :)

We've travelled a lot before 2021 and visited a lot of big museums and zoos. And honestly I think we can find ice-cream and hot dogs in any place. We've never been to real mountains or natural hot springs, that's why we are thinking to visit Whistler and Harrison Hot spring. We love beaches and miss them a lot by now...

We'll still need a car to drive around the island.. and i heard it's quite big, so will spend hours driving. I assume it's way more than 4 hours for Whistler and back and 4 for Harrison Hot Spring... am I wrong?

Edited: 08 June 2021, 07:39
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
27,584 posts
123 reviews
185 helpful votes
6. Re: Vancouver and around for 9 days for a family
Save

Vancouver (well, North Vancouver and West Vancouver) have "real" mountains, and you can see them from Vancouver too. Also, the pool at the hot springs is very much like any other swimming pool (except that it's warmer). For public health reasons, you won't be sitting in a natural hot spring.

Vancouver to Harrison Hot Springs - under two hours, with traffic: https://goo.gl/maps/pyjvLGfpfWoA6EGi8

Vancouver to Whistler, 1.5 hours: https://goo.gl/maps/ZMrcU61AUxfczsHa9

Edited: 08 June 2021, 07:57
Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Vancouver and around for 9 days for a family
Save

Thank you krp329.

We'll think if it make sense to switch Harrison Hot Springs for the island.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
16,924 posts
153 reviews
133 helpful votes
8. Re: Vancouver and around for 9 days for a family
Save

You have 9 days and want some beach time. I'd head to Parksville, assuming you can find a place to stay there at this late date. Great beach and a lot more fun than the pool at Harrison Hot Springs.

If you can change your Vancouver hotel look at this option

June 25 arrive. overnight Vancouver

June 26 pick up rental car, drive to Horseshoe Bay, ferry to Nanaimo, drive to Parksville

June 26,27,28 Parksville area

June 29 ferry Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay drive to Whistler

June 29, 30, July 1 Whistler tons to do there for 2 full days

July 2 drive to Vancouver drop car

July 2,3,Vancouver

July 4 fly home

Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Vancouver and around for 9 days for a family
Save

Thanks a lot, traveller47! I really like what you suggested. Hotels still have available rooms around Parksville, so checking them out.

Fort Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
10. Re: Vancouver and around for 9 days for a family
Save

I agree with going to vancouver Island, and Parksville would be great. Here’s something else to think about, but only if you can’t get to the island. It probably might not suit your family but you never know...

My late FIL was a scientist and every family trip had to be “educational.” One of the most popular was taking the the loop trip from Vancouver to Lytton to Lilooet and then back along the Duffy Lake Road and the sea to sky highway. It’s a long drive, I think too long for kids the age of yours, but possibly you have a family who’d find it interesting. The scenery changes from the lush vegetation of the mountains to the dry rain shadow area and there are interesting stops like the Hell’s Gate Airtram and the confluence of the Fraser and the Thompson Rivers at Lytton. It can be sort of a crash course in part of the history and geography of BC. I’m only suggesting it as a possibility because the way you have things planned now, you’re doing maybe 40% of it anyway, but repeating that part like a pendulum instead of just doing the whole loop around. I do think going to the Island instead would be better.

Reply to: Vancouver and around for 9 days for a family
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.