We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BC Itinerary . Have we got it right?

Coventry, United...
1 post
BC Itinerary . Have we got it right?
Save

As our plans to travel to BC from UK have been thwarted for second year running, maybe there's an opportunity to review our locations in BC ahead of our next attempt Summer 2022!

So currently we have 4 nights Whistler ( after long flight from UK), 2 nights Campbell River, 3 nights Ucluelet, then 5 nights Vancouver. We are a family of 4 inc a 20 yr old and 16yr old. We have a rental vehicle booked . Hotel suites at all locations except Vancouver . Our aim is to see and experience the highlights of BC in the time we have.

I'm now thinking should Campbell River feature or should we tweak the itinerary at this point given we need to rebook everything and shift it to 2022? Add somewhere else instead, or more time other locations?

Also, travelling July into August....best times to avoid ( busy periods etc)?

Suggestions please on both points .

10 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
9,847 posts
24 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: BC Itinerary . Have we got it right?
Save

Four nights and five in Vancouver seems like a lot, I’d move a couple of those to the Island.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
380 reviews
173 helpful votes
2. Re: BC Itinerary . Have we got it right?
Save

We did a road trip from Calgary to Vancouver in 2019.

We called in at Whistler and spent several hours there but that was enough so spending 4 nights there seems like 4 nights too many!

You could visit Whistler as a day trip from Vancouver and add the extra nights to Vancouver island as already suggested . ( We stayed in Victoria and Ucluelet)

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Oman, California, Yukon, Chile, Argentina, Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,920 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: BC Itinerary . Have we got it right?
Save

What have you planned in Whistler? I think you could easily skip one of the nights there.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
28,755 posts
27 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: BC Itinerary . Have we got it right?
Save

The first weekend of August is the busiest tourism weekend of the year.

also It is a bit early to do the bear trips from Campbell River and you can do the whale boat tours elsewhere.

you are missing the Victoria area

+as mentioned you really need to have a plan for activities for Whistler when you spend more then 2 nights there.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
22,755 posts
331 reviews
168 helpful votes
5. Re: BC Itinerary . Have we got it right?
Save

Four nights at Whistler is at least two too many. As others have suggested, you could easily add 2 or 3 days to Vancouver Island.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
31,497 posts
115 reviews
79 helpful votes
6. Re: BC Itinerary . Have we got it right?
Save

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154943-i81-k13537274-Local_knowledge_Vancouver_accommodation-Vancouver_British_Columbia.html

Okay, this is the same Beverly C from this post? Confusing, because for whatever reason, you have two accounts, using the same name.

Anyway, I have to agree with others. You are going to be spending $$$ to get to Vancouver Island, so make the most of it.

I do wonder though, if the kids are into mountain biking, and that is why so long in Whistler? Cumberland is another area that they could enjoy that, on Vancouver Island. It is south of Campbell River, close to Courtenay and Comox.

If Victoria doesn't interest you, look to staying in Sooke area. And yes, add more time to the west coast! Ucluelet and Tofino are wonderful!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
73 posts
11 reviews
18 helpful votes
7. Re: BC Itinerary . Have we got it right?
Save

I’m exhausted just thinking about arriving from a long flight & then having to travel all the way from Richmond to Whistler! I’d stay in Vancouver first. The others are right about spending less time in Whistler & more on the Island. Just traveling between Vancouver, Whistler and the Island is a lot of travel! I’d never pack all 3 in within a short amount of time.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
22,755 posts
331 reviews
168 helpful votes
8. Re: BC Itinerary . Have we got it right?
Save

One thought occurred to me that might make a difference to suggestions here. Where are you going once you leave Vancouver? Are you flying home or going on elsewhere?

Also, it would be a good idea to ask TA to merge your two accounts.

Edited: 01 May 2021, 05:26
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,436 posts
58 reviews
99 helpful votes
9. Re: BC Itinerary . Have we got it right?
Save

Beverley, your thread from last year has been closed due to inactivity. I expect that may be the reason you started a new thread, that and knowing a lot more this year than you did last, so posted a more comprehensive OP.

From the two profile pages, your friendly name, Beverley C is the same, but your unique user accounts are @beverleyc566 (this account) and @BeverleyC977.

Here is the way to ask TA to merge your accounts:

https://www.tripadvisorsupport.com/hc/en-us/articles/200615157-How-do-I-combine-my-two-Tripadvisor-accounts-

Make your request using the account you wish to keep. TA will consider that account your primary account and will merge the other into it.

It is quite easy to inadvertently get a new account when asked to sign in. Remember to sign in with email for best results, not FB or Google+, and to NOT click on the "Join" button. Instead click on the "Sign in" link below it. The new App has not been developed particularly well, according to comments in the Support Forum, I'm not sure if the App could be causing a sign in problem.

Curious that you have chosen Nuneaton for one account, then 19 miles away, Coventry for your other account? Maybe you just moved homes sometime in the past year?

BC Day is August 1st, 2022 and makes a long weekend, busiest of the summer. Ferries to and from the Island will be very busy on the Friday and Monday. A reservation for a space on the ferry this weekend will be essential.

www.bcferries.com

What do you have planned to do in Whistler? There is mountain biking, zip lining, Peak to Peak gondola, which is a 1.5 hour loop trip from the Village (Whistler Village gondola up Whistler Mtn, Peak to Peak across the valley to Blackcomb Mts, down the new Blackcomb gondola, then a short walk back to the Village), alpine hiking, 3 hour black bear tours with Whistler Bear Viewing by 4X4.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,677 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
10. Re: BC Itinerary . Have we got it right?
Save

I have to agree with the others that the balance of time looks a bit off, but its a nice plan over all. Whistler is a lovely spot and if you think you just want to relax in a resort setting for a few days while you recover from jet lag, it works. There's trails for walking, great bars and restaurants, lake beaches for water sports and swimming.

I've seen people spend two weeks in Vancouver and love it, but that's where I think you could rededicate a night to somewhere else on the island, or extend your time at either stop. Of all of your current destinations, I'd suggest Uclulet is the best place to put a four night stop, and then I'd keep the rest to 3 or even 2. However, you'll have to sort out your personal priorities for how to dedicate that time.

Reply to: BC Itinerary . Have we got it right?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vancouver
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.