We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Vancouver to Tsawwassen

3 posts
1 review
Downtown Vancouver to Tsawwassen
Save

Hi everyone!

Planning a trip to vancouver in early August (if its safe) and want to visit Victoria. I'm aiming for a 9am ferry on Saturday and will be driving from downtown. Would a 7:30 departure be enough time to make it by the 30min reservation cut off? Not sure what the traffic situation would be during that time.

Thanks for the help!

7 replies to this topic
Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
576 reviews
212 helpful votes
1. Re: Downtown Vancouver to Tsawwassen
Save

That should be fine (Saturday early in the morning) though a little tight, again depending on where you're driving from in Vancouver. Traffic is likely to be just annoying traffic lights (frequent - at least every 8 blocks - in Vancouver), none once you get on the Oak Street bridge and then 4-5 on the final leg to the ferry.

Only about 35 Km but figure around 15-20 minutes from downtown or surrounds down Granville or Oak Street, 8 minutes through RIchmond and the Deas Island tunnel, and another 15 minutes from there.

I haven't timed it but I'd suggest, once you exit the tunnel, to take the Ladner Trunk Road exit (2nd one) and go straight (just one traffic light) instead of following the posted route.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
5,268 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Downtown Vancouver to Tsawwassen
Save

Not Ladner Trunk; just plane Ladner and it is exit 28 not 26 as shown in the first image.

Sign 1

https://goo.gl/maps/uosZ2mz1biba6cVN8

Sign 2

https://goo.gl/maps/f374EaJeVZtsUgfy7

Sign 3

https://goo.gl/maps/jVW61FhT2it6QkjV6

And yes 7:30 will give you time, no later though.

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
6 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Downtown Vancouver to Tsawwassen
Save

If its just yourself travelling I'd suggest looking at flying over as another option. Harbour Air, seaplane usually 220$ return. Downtown Vancouver to Inner Harbour Victoria.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,436 posts
58 reviews
99 helpful votes
4. Re: Downtown Vancouver to Tsawwassen
Save

There will be no rush hour traffic on Saturday. When are you planning to do this in August? BC Day long weekend is Aug 1-3. The ferries will be busy, so a reservation is a really good idea. I would suggest you allow 45 min to drive to Tsawwassen terminal and aim for 8h15. They will accept your ressie up to 30 min in advance of sailing as you know, 29 minutes means you will forfeit your reservation and be directed into general boarding which is FCFS. So allow some flex time when planning your drive time.

If you are coming back to Vancouver on a Friday, try to avoid a Swartz Bay ferry departure at 14h00, 15h00 or 16h00. Any of these ferries will deposit you at Tsawwassen in time for the congestion at the Massey Tunnel adding some bumper to bumper time to merge into one lane for the afternoon rush hour and go through the tunnel.

3 posts
1 review
5. Re: Downtown Vancouver to Tsawwassen
Save

Thanks for the suggestion!

3 posts
1 review
6. Re: Downtown Vancouver to Tsawwassen
Save

I was planning on going August long weekend so this is great, thanks Mufti!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,436 posts
58 reviews
99 helpful votes
7. Re: Downtown Vancouver to Tsawwassen
Save

:-)

Reply to: Downtown Vancouver to Tsawwassen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vancouver
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.