We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown to Granville Island

Renton, Washington
Level Contributor
6,791 posts
Downtown to Granville Island
Save

What are the transit options from 654 Nelson to Granville Island? Don't want to circle around GI looking for parking. Ideally, we would like to travel by some means to the north shore of False Creek and take the Aquabus over to GI.

Edited: 1 year ago
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
16,759 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
1. Re: Downtown to Granville Island
Save

Google maps is your friend when it comes to getting around.

You can walk 15 minutes to David Lam Park and take the ferry from there.

Or you can walk 15 minutes to the Aquatic Centre ferry dock and take the ferry to Granville Island.

Buses between your origin and the ferry docks really don't save a lot of time.

Set google maps to transit or walking to see different routes.

https://goo.gl/maps/wtLAcfX43fy4EhMV7

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,278 posts
58 reviews
99 helpful votes
2. Re: Downtown to Granville Island
Save

If you specifically want The Aquabus to GI, the dock is at the foot of Hornby. The False Creek Ferries use the dock at the Aquatic Center, foot of Thurlow. In the map linked here, follow the respective dotted lines across False Creek to GI. The cost from either of those docks to GI will be for just "one hop."

https://goo.gl/maps/JiECnZUFGEr4e3Le8

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
65 reviews
96 helpful votes
3. Re: Downtown to Granville Island
Save

There is a bus #50 I think that takes you across the bridge and down there. Google Maps says 14mins including the walking portion. Also the bus is cheaper than the boat, but the boat is obviously more fun than the bus.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
16,759 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
4. Re: Downtown to Granville Island
Save

Google maps isn’t accepting the Hornby St dock as a valid departure. It will reroute you to David Lam or Aquatic Centre stops. The dock seems to be in operation just fine so no idea why this glitch.

In my first post zip tried the Hornby Dock and gmaps totally refused it as access.

The bus in post 3 is another option. You then walk onto the “ island” from the south side.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,278 posts
58 reviews
99 helpful votes
5. Re: Downtown to Granville Island
Save

For the Aquabus dock at the foot of Hornby, you have to enter the exact words that I entered in the map destinations. Not much help to anybody really and it took me some time to find out the exact words to use.

"Aquabus Ferries - Hornby Street Ferry"

The circle with the label in the map I linked is where the ferry dock is. Zooming in is helpful.

Edited: 1 year ago
Renton, Washington
Level Contributor
6,791 posts
6. Re: Downtown to Granville Island
Save

You folks are truly helpful. Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,227 posts
133 reviews
45 helpful votes
7. Re: Downtown to Granville Island
Save

Bob you probably know this, but since you used the word “transit”, the ferries on False Creek are not part of the transit system. They are private operations.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,278 posts
58 reviews
99 helpful votes
8. Re: Downtown to Granville Island
Save

Oh, I see what you mean trav47 when I complete the map. https://goo.gl/maps/5ua4CwUzYgBCk9va6

That solid blue line from the Aquatic Centre to GI is in fact the False Creek Ferry route.

Well, the Aquabus dock is there at the foot of Hornby and the ferry will take pax over to their GI dock in 5 minutes along the respective dotted line.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
21 reviews
43 helpful votes
9. Re: Downtown to Granville Island
Save

You’re only about 5-6 blocks from false creek. Just walk down Granville St. or west a block and down Hornby St. No car required.

10. Re: Downtown to Granville Island

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2020, 13:41
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.