We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help to pick the hotel

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
135 posts
8 reviews
10 helpful votes
Help to pick the hotel
Save

We are family of 4 (kids 9 and 12 years old) that plan to fly to Vancouver next year on 6/20, stay for 4 nights at Vancouver downtown, take a Alaska cruise from 6/24 to 7/1, then fly back home on 7/1.

After doing a lot of research, I have narrowed our hotel choices to the list below. All of them are under US$300 during our stay, which is our budget. Since we don't plan to rent a car, what we are looking for is close to attractions, restaurants, cruise terminals, etc. What do you think is the best choice for our trip?

Also, do we need to carry Canada currency in Vancouver or credit card will be accepted everywhere? Thanks for your help.

1) Times Squire Suites (So far my favorite. My only concern is the noise since we have been living in quiet suburb neighborhood).

2) Executive Hotel Vintage Park Vancouver

3) Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre

4) The Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront

5) Rosedale On Robson

6) Century Plaza Hotel

Best value hotels in Vancouver
L'Hermitage Hotel
L'Hermitage Hotel
#2 of 88 hotels in Vancouver
Loden Hotel
Loden Hotel
#1 of 88 hotels in Vancouver
Times Square Suites Hotel
Times Square Suites Hotel
#6 of 88 hotels in Vancouver
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
16,745 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
1. Re: Help to pick the hotel
Save

Times Square Suites will be the quietest if that’s a concern.

Located very close to Stanley Park and lots of local restaurants on Denman St.

Pinnacle Harbor Front would be my next choice,

then Sheraton Wall . Sheraton is a convention hotel and lacks personality imo.

Downtown has restaurants, condos, people living all over so lots of activity 24/7 in all your choices.

Reports recently that a Rosedale is looking a bit “ tired”. For my preferences the Rosedale is too much at the Eastern edge of town.

Century Plaza would be noisier than Times Square Suites. You are going to have noise no matter as you’re going to be in a city. High rises like the Pinnacle and Sheraton have pretty soundproof windows.

Times Square Suites has better location, close to park and seawall and bike rental shops as well. Downtown is compact and walkable. You could walk between Sheraton and TSS in about 20 minutes.

Any of your hotel choices are about a 10 minute cab ride to Canada Place

Coombs
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
311 reviews
137 helpful votes
2. Re: Help to pick the hotel
Save

Not sure about the others, but what I liked about the Century Plaza is that there was a kitchen, and with young kids that might be a bonus.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,245 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
3. Re: Help to pick the hotel
Save

Times Square Suites would get my vote. There is a bus route right out front and more bus routes about 300 metres away at Georgia St. You can ask for a room on the quieter side of the hotel, which would be better than rooms over the intersection of Robson and Denman. The TA Reviews are where you will get comments about noise.

If you are flying out on the day your cruise ship returns to Vancouver, don't book a flight before 1h30 pm. You will need time to clear Canada Customs, time to queue for a taxi, 35 minutes or so to get to the airport and you need to allow 90 min to go through security and CBP Customs and Immigration at the airport before boarding the plane.

You can use your cc for almost everything but you might want to some Canadian cash to buy something where there is no hand held device.

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
135 posts
8 reviews
10 helpful votes
4. Re: Help to pick the hotel
Save

Thank you so much for all the wonderful advice, especially regarding the return flight. We have not booked our flight yet, only booked cruise so far. I think we will pick Times Square Suites.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,245 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
5. Re: Help to pick the hotel
Save

I just thought a bit more about your flight out on July 1. It will be Canada Day, although will not make a long weekend which would be really busy in the city and at the airport. It's a bit early to see the Vancouver Port 2020 schedule but other schedules say there will be 3 cruise ships arriving in Vancouver on July 1. The Volendam (1440 pax) and the Seven Seas Mariner (750 pax) is scheduled to arrive at 7 am and the Coral Princess (2500 pax) at 7h30. If they all arrive on schedule the approx 2200 pax from the Volendam and the SSM will have an edge at Canada Customs/Immi and the taxi rank, in front of the 2500 pax from the CP. But it really wouldn't hurt at all to allow closer to 2 hours at the airport to check in for your flight home. It's hard to say what percentage of those pax will be flying out the same day like you are or staying in Vancouver post cruise to visit the city.

Having said that, you will be asked on board before arriving to Vancouver what your onward travel plans are. Pax will disembark the ship by priority. If you can each handle your own luggage when disembarking, it would be an advantage for getting to the taxi rank. You could then walk over 300 metres to the Canada Line for the 25 min train directly to the airport. Could be a big ask for a family with kids.

Edited: 1 year ago
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Help to pick the hotel
Save

I would not choose the Executive Hotel (bad location and right next to the bridge, construction next door) or the Century Plaza. Other selections are fine.

Only issue with credit card is to consider whether your CC charges foreign exchange fees, most charge a 2.5% fee or so on top.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
16,745 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
7. Re: Help to pick the hotel
Save

Credit Card fee isn't that onerous as Credit Cards also generally give you the best exchange rate. Credit Cards are accepted virtually everywhere here. I go weeks without using cash. It's good to have a bit of cash for things like tipping the chambermaid ( get cash from a bank related atm)

but otherwise credit cards are simple, efficient and sometimes give you points for more travel.:)

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
27,121 posts
123 reviews
185 helpful votes
8. Re: Help to pick the hotel
Save

Even with a 2.5% exchange fee, using a credit card may be the least expensive way to "exchange" currency. You'll have to read the fine print, but my experience with my own card is that it has been, on numerous vacations outside Canada, because the exchange rate used is an interbank rate (so less than a retail rate) and even with the extra 2.5% on top, the overall exchange rate has been cheaper than ones I've seen posted at currency exchange offices. To be sure you are comparing apples with apples, you need to look at the overall rate, including any service charges. Sure, a currency exchange bureau might advertise "no fees".... but they build their fees into the rate used. There is no free way to change money.

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,754 posts
37 reviews
39 helpful votes
9. Re: Help to pick the hotel
Save

FamilyFunWorld, you could always get a credit card that has no foreign transaction fees, like Capital One. Although my regular card is Visa, I got a Capital One card for my Canadian travels, and it has served me well. (plus the exchange rate is still very favorable for US travelers). Have a wonderful trip!! I always greatly enjoy my travels up north, even though the last two involved a broken ankle n 2018 and a bout with walking pneumonia and bursitis this year :). Life happens :). Holding onto my Capital One card for next year.

Again, have a wonderful trip!

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
135 posts
8 reviews
10 helpful votes
10. Re: Help to pick the hotel
Save

Thank you so much for the advice. I have a Capital one Visa card, but I don't have any Canada cash. So I wonder whether I need to take any cash from the ATM machine there.

Our cruise ship is Volendem. So in theory, our ship should arrive the earliest on 7/1. I think we will take a taxi instead of taking the train. That may be easier for us.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.