We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this the norm now?

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
5 helpful votes
Is this the norm now?
Save

We are wrapping up our 6 day vacation to Vancouver. Last time we visited 9 years ago I loved how much you could walk around and have a great time going to restaurants and shops. This time it seems that every street we have walked down we are asked repeatedly for money, watch people shooting up, a topless woman running thru traffic screeching about hating umbrellas and a random man screaming obscenities at my sister in law for no reason. The city and the super nice proud people seem completely changed. Please tell me I came on an unusually odd week.

I’m from SoCal and we absolutely have our own huge problem with the homeless so I’m no Pollyanna. But this seems to be destroying a great city.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,497 posts
454 reviews
405 helpful votes
1. Re: Is this the norm now?
Save

Pretty much typical for the downtown area of Vancouver, except for the topless woman running through traffic. Drugs, homelessness and mental illness are pretty much at the top of the list. Vancouver has just grown up from what it use to be, as all cities do.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
34,201 posts
16 reviews
25 helpful votes
2. Re: Is this the norm now?
Save

Full moon might explain the topless woman and the umbrella..

Otherwise.. yes .. that's the norm.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
56 reviews
102 helpful votes
3. Re: Is this the norm now?
Save

Much worse over the last few years IMO. And it is a shame but no-one really seems to care much.

I still walk around and enjoy the restaurants etc but choose my areas carefully.

Gibsons, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,607 posts
32 reviews
93 helpful votes
4. Re: Is this the norm now?
Save

It's the norm for certain parts of the city. It's not the norm for other parts of the city. This sounds like Gastown and Chinatown to me.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
56 reviews
102 helpful votes
5. Re: Is this the norm now?
Save

It sounds like Granville south of Robson to me. Ick.

ETA south of Robson before the bridge.

Edited: 1 year ago
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Is this the norm now?
Save

Not just certain parts of downtown anymore-the rot is deep and spreading....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,541 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
7. Re: Is this the norm now?
Save

I stopped working downtown in June, so I don't know if its changed in the last three months (and I'm hearing in the news that it has), but I found the panhandling was fairly limited and usually pretty low key. The worst of the drugs and homelessness was contained to the east end of Gastown and Chinatown, and I found that Keefer street was looking a lot better earlier this year than previously. Sorry to hear you found this dominated your experience. It would be helpful to know if there were specific locations. I'm not really in agreement with Sam on this one that it is wide spread.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
7,051 posts
17 reviews
28 helpful votes
8. Re: Is this the norm now?
Save

I've got no idea how it is, I only visit Ontario over in Canada--which is very far away from Vancouver. However I learn years ago, its best not to notice everything going around. If you watch the locals, you would see that they too do not see everything going around.

Get yourself a smart phone and look at that or just try not to see everything. You are not going to change anything by staring at the stuff you do not care for and you are just talking away from your holiday. If some panhandler comes up to you, give them a little change or just "not see them". I can do both, depending on my mood at the time.

Its your vacation, don't let others ruin it for you. I'm sure Vancouver has some very nice sights to see, look at those and try not to see the stuff you don't care for.

Edited: 1 year ago
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
7,051 posts
17 reviews
28 helpful votes
9. Re: Is this the norm now?
Save

If one keeps their eyes more to the ground as they walk around town, other people around seem not to look at them as much. Sure once in a while they still do. Just keep on walking and they soon go away.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
5 helpful votes
10. Re: Is this the norm now?
Save

We stayed near the arena on Abbott. With the exception of Stanley Park, Grouse Mtn and Granville island, I felt pretty uncomfortable walking around. It was just disconcerting to see so many people so sick and out of their right mind.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.