We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transitting vancouver before flight to alaska

4 posts
transitting vancouver before flight to alaska
Save

Does anyone know if when arriving in Vancouver in transit before flying to Alaska approx 3 hours after arriving I have to clear canadian customs leave the building then check in again for my flight to Alaska?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,541 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
1. Re: transitting vancouver before flight to alaska
Save

Vancouver airport is set up for smooth transits in these cases. I haven't done your specific transfer, but I do know that they have expedited processing to facilitate connections for transiting passengers.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
133 reviews
45 helpful votes
2. Re: transitting vancouver before flight to alaska
Save

You don’t say where you are coming from and if this is a single booking? Assuming overseas and single ticket, look up the specifics on the YVR connections guide and it will tell you what to expect. If it is separate tickets you may have to re-check in....perhaps a bit more info would help.

4 posts
3. Re: transitting vancouver before flight to alaska
Save

I am travelling from Australia on my way to Anchorage. I have a ticket to Vancouver and a separate ticket to Anchorage. I presume I have to collect my luggage at some point as I was told I will need to pay for checked bags on the Anchorage leg. However, both flights are with Air Canada.

Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
576 reviews
212 helpful votes
4. Re: transitting vancouver before flight to alaska
Save

You might want to ask AC if they will check your bags through to ANC for you when you check in at SYD (or wherever). They just might.. Would ease your transit considerably. Otherwise, yes, you will have to clear entry into Canada and recheck your bags.

4 posts
5. Re: transitting vancouver before flight to alaska
Save

Thanks, will try that at AC check in.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
133 reviews
45 helpful votes
6. Re: transitting vancouver before flight to alaska
Save

Do whatever you can try to get them to check you in and do the bag transfer.

If they won’t, you’ll have to clear full Canadian Immigration, get your bags, clear customs (usually just a formality), check in, check the bags, go through security, and then finally US Immigration. This could take a fair bit of time because there are several international arrivals every morning around the ti e you will arrive. (although working in your favour is that the flights from Australia are often early).

Note that you will require both a Canadian eTA and a US ESTA for this trip.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
58 reviews
48 helpful votes
7. Re: transitting vancouver before flight to alaska
Save

You can certainly ask at check-in if they'll check the bags all the way through, but they don't have to. Unlike many OneWorld airlines who have an explicit policy that forbid agents from through checking bags on separate tickets, even between flights both operated by their own aircraft, AC agents do have some discretion to do this. But, doing so will still not create a protected connection, and if you miss the connection, you're still on your own to buy a new onward flight.

The fact that you will be coming off of a very long flight might add some complications to that plan. I haven't checked the timetable, but remember that check-in doesn't open until 24 hours before scheduled departure. Depending on how long your connection is in YVR, it's possible that check-in for your flight to Alaska won't even be open yet at the time you're lining up for an agent to check in for your first flight in Australia. You will probably need to be within the 24-hour window before the second flight for the agent in Australia to help with through-checking luggage, or even check you in to print an onward boarding pass for you.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
8 reviews
19 helpful votes
8. Re: transitting vancouver before flight to alaska
Save

If you were on a single ticket you could stay airside, clear US Immigration, and 3 hours would not be an issue. However, since you are on separate tickets you likely will have to "enter" Canada, clear Canadian customs and Immigration, recheck your bag, clear CATSA security and US Customs and Immigration. It is tight to do all that.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,245 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
9. Re: transitting vancouver before flight to alaska
Save

On a single ticket with Air Canada you would need 1h10m free and clear to transit in Vancouver on an incoming International flight with a connection to a US bound flight.

On a single ticket you would follow the Welcome to Canada sign. Have all your docs in hand. (I don't think you even have to do the kiosk shuffle to fill in your Canada declaration form.) Follow “USA Connections” signage. You will be directed to the USA “In-Transit Facility”. Passengers are not required to pick up their baggage in Vancouver. Go through screening/security and US Customs and Immi. Go to new Gate. So try to get your luggage checked through to your second flight.

3 hours is a good amount of time to connect on two separate tix.

10. Re: transitting vancouver before flight to alaska

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2020, 12:41
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.