We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 hours before overnight layover in Vancouver

Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
15 hours before overnight layover in Vancouver
Save

I will be taking arriving at YVR at 9:40pm and my international day isn’t till 1:30pm the next day. Do you think I should book a hotel near the airport or downtown? This will be my first time in Vancouver so I have no idea what to do to pass the time.

As it is overnight so I don’t think I can go out about to explore the sights. Any ideas? Totally stuck.

Level Contributor
76 posts
1. Re: 15 hours before overnight layover in Vancouver
Save

I suggest you book downtown in Vancouver, the westend of the city... the Sylvia Hotel is directly on the beach and could be a good fit if you can coordinate your dates. cheers!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,498 posts
454 reviews
405 helpful votes
2. Re: 15 hours before overnight layover in Vancouver
Save

Stay out near the airport. There is not much going on in the city late at night. If your flight is at 1330 the next day, you will need to be at the airport at least two hours prior to departure, that would be around 1130, therefore being downtown in the morning will not give you much time to see the city.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
133 reviews
45 helpful votes
3. Re: 15 hours before overnight layover in Vancouver
Save

Agree with yvr. Others may suggest running around madly but when you analyze your time realistically, it makes most sense to stay close to the airport, relax, and be less stressed.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,291 posts
65 reviews
96 helpful votes
4. Re: 15 hours before overnight layover in Vancouver
Save

Depending on your budget, I would stay either at the Fairmont airport or the Riverrock. Both are on the Canadaline, so you could go to bed, get up, leave your bags in your room, go downtown for breakfast if you want, come back and get ready for your flight.

No need to go all the way downtown to stay.

Level Contributor
76 posts
5. Re: 15 hours before overnight layover in Vancouver
Save

From the airport, taxi to Sylvia Hotel at 10:30 pm.. depending on dates should be 30 mins... checking in and a quick shower about an hour... so midnight, depending on your mood, Denman street is walkable, many boutique stores if you just want to stroll the streets near the hotel. Also morning is nice to sit, have coffee and just relax looking out over English Bay and the seawall... many taxi that can transport you to the airport for your flight, easy to do if your budget is flexible. cheers!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,498 posts
454 reviews
405 helpful votes
6. Re: 15 hours before overnight layover in Vancouver
Save

A few restaurants open on Denman Street. Mostly fast foods types, nothing special. Don't waste your time coming downtown for the short period you will be here. Taxis to downtown and back will cost you $70.00 or slightly more not including tip. Add that to your hotel expense near the airport and pick a more upscale hotel.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
64 reviews
94 helpful votes
7. Re: 15 hours before overnight layover in Vancouver
Save

You don't say if your flight is domestic or international. If you have to clear customs you can add another 30 minutes.

If you just want a place to sleep, there's the Panda Pods Hotel. $7.95 by train to get there or $20 taxi. If you like Chinese food, you can go for dim sum before going to the airport. If not, then you can go across the street to the mall and have breakfast at White Spot or Ihop one block over.

https://www.pandapod.ca/

Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: 15 hours before overnight layover in Vancouver
Save

Thanks all for your suggestions. I have decided to stay in the Richmond area overnight.

9. Re: 15 hours before overnight layover in Vancouver

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2020, 12:40
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.