We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Selection - July

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
374 posts
47 reviews
38 helpful votes
Hotel Selection - July
Save

We are making our first visit to Vancouver this July 4-7th. I am having a hard time selecting a hotel, the prices are much higher then I expected. We arrive by train late (11 PM) on Thursday 4th, plan to sight see downtown and Stanley park area on Friday, renting a car and doing a fishing trip out of Mission on Saturday that will be almost all day, and then leaving on a train back to Seattle on Sunday afternoon around 5 PM.

I have basically boiled down to a hotel like Coal Coast Harbour or possibly Holiday Inn Broadway. The later is just over $300 cheaper overall. Based on what our plans are, is it worth the extra $$ to stay downtown vs using the train?

Best value hotels in Vancouver
L'Hermitage Hotel
L'Hermitage Hotel
#2 of 88 hotels in Vancouver
Loden Hotel
Loden Hotel
#1 of 88 hotels in Vancouver
Times Square Suites Hotel
Times Square Suites Hotel
#6 of 88 hotels in Vancouver
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
34,201 posts
16 reviews
25 helpful votes
1. Re: Hotel Selection - July
Save

Either are good choices, but if price is a concern, then the HI Broadway is a good choice. Nothing is too far away in Vancouver - transit is easy.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
82 reviews
65 helpful votes
2. Re: Hotel Selection - July
Save

In this case I would go with the Holiday Inn. The two hotels are of course totally different with the Holiday Inn being, well a Holiday Inn. Perfectly fine and in a good location. You can walk two blocks to the City Centre Skytrain station and be downtown in minutes. First stop downtown is Yaletown. Great place to wander, eat and shop or walk the seawall. Next stop is Vancouver City Centre, heart of downtown, and the last stop is near where the Coast hotel is, more seawall, shopping and close to Stanley Park.

Any transit questions feel free to ask.

Edited: 1 year ago
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
56 reviews
102 helpful votes
3. Re: Hotel Selection - July
Save

I have stayed at the HI Broadway a couple of times. It is a decent hotel, a few blocks from the City Hall Station and on a few useful bus routes.

Also stayed at the Coast which is an all round better hotel and location, but not worth paying extra for.

North Vancouver...
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
12,015 posts
201 reviews
423 helpful votes
4. Re: Hotel Selection - July
Save

Broadway? Not me. $300 isn't too much in the total so why not get walking distance from everything. Stay downtown.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
56 reviews
102 helpful votes
5. Re: Hotel Selection - July
Save

I think the OP is saying that the Coast is $300 more expensive than the Holiday Inn? Did I read that wrong?

I'd ride a lot of buses and trains to save $300/night. And I am no cheapskate.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
82 reviews
65 helpful votes
6. Re: Hotel Selection - July
Save

I read it as $300 per night more. I just now notice they said " overall ". So if it's just 300 more for the whole stay, I'd stay downtown.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
56 reviews
102 helpful votes
7. Re: Hotel Selection - July
Save

I just did a quick check for those 3 nights. CCH is $474/night. HIB is $308.

I'd still choose HI, lol.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
5,180 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Hotel Selection - July
Save

eric, with the time you have, actually "downtown" it seems all you need is a good, quiet room, in a decent location. No need to pay for a uniformed doorman/woman/person, for the three times you will enter the joint.

Go with HI Broadway.

Edited: 1 year ago
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
316 posts
613 reviews
392 helpful votes
9. Re: Hotel Selection - July
Save

If you were spending more time downtown, then I would suggest the Coast.

But given your schedule, the Holiday Inn on Broadway is your better option.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,541 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
10. Re: Hotel Selection - July
Save

With the plan to spend all day in Mission and to drive out there, I wonder if you wouldn't be just as well to take a hotel or even Air BnB east of Vancouver, in Burnaby or New Westminster or Coquitlam. Transit into the city is good and it will make getting out for the drive to Mission a lot easier if you start outside of downtown.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.