We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Improvements ? for 3 day trip Vancouver, Fort Langley

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
59,316 posts
8,639 reviews
3,998 helpful votes
Improvements ? for 3 day trip Vancouver, Fort Langley
Save

We are taking a coastal LA to Victoria to Vancouver coastal cruise.

For the Vancouver portion we are then doing 2 additional days before flight home.

This is what we plan to do. Could you take a look and let me know if OK or improvements....

Friday - arrive by cruise ship at noon. Go to Stanley Park for day, see the park including aquarium. Have early dinner at the Tea House. Back to Canada Place. Get a timed ticket to see the movie FlyOver Canada for 8:30. Return to Cruise ship for night's sleep.

Saturday: Get off cruise ship. Get rental car - booked. Drive to Brittannia Mine for 12:30 tour. Around 2:30 or 3:00 drive to Fort Langley area for night. Dinner at Chaberton Estate Winery (Bacchus Bistro.) (Good idea - or other recs for dinner in area?)

Sunday: Fort Langley opens at 10:00 so go see Fort Langley. Then drive back to Vancouver and go see Museum of Vancouver. Drive to Airport by 6:00, drop off rental car, and flight back home leaves at 8:00 p.m.

We are prepared that it might be rainy.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,240 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
1. Re: Improvements ? for 3 day trip Vancouver, Fort Langley
Save

Friday is good.

Saturday is a good day to drive the highway from Britannia to Ft Langley, there will be no rush hour!

Sunday looks good too.

Just be aware that our Highway 1 is fickle. Or I should say the drivers are fickle. Yesterday afternoon, there was an accident on the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge which delayed traffic an hour. This morning at 7 am there was a 4 car accident on the same bridge which delayed traffic more than an hour. This kind of thing is at the extreme end of the spectrum, but it can happen, so if you use Google maps gps in the car, it seems to offer you another route when it picks up problems.

I think you will enjoy that plan. You will have 1-1.5 hour drive to Fort Langley, then an hour to the Museum of Vancouver, but I would allow 1.5 hours for potential congestion.

From the Museum of Vancouver, and if it is a nice day, consider a walk around Kits Point. Vanier Park is the name of the Park at Kits Point. Lovely views across the harbour. There may be big kids flying their kites too. Always fun to see them pulling strings, so to speak.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
31,371 posts
115 reviews
79 helpful votes
2. Re: Improvements ? for 3 day trip Vancouver, Fort Langley
Save

Wendel's Bookstore and Cafe! Try to have breakfast there, or lunch, while visiting Fort Langley. It will be busy, regardless of the day of the week.

And there is an amazing bakery there too, the Blacksmith Bakery.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,541 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
3. Re: Improvements ? for 3 day trip Vancouver, Fort Langley
Save

I have switched allegiances from Wendels to Blacksmith. Wendels is over run and crowded and the service can be a bit hit and miss. One of the bakers at Blacksmith is a friend of mine and WOW, they do good stuff there.

Overall, I do like your plan. You are hitting some good spots that don't always get the attention they deserve. Do you have Parks Canada Discovery Pass you are trying to get some value out of before it expires?

My only thought is that trip from the Sea to Sky area over to the Fraser Valley. Its not a bad choice, but I will just put it out there that you might instead opt to spend the entire day in the Fraser Valley? That commute could be nasty - congested, slow, a lousy way to spend limited holiday time. Up to you if its worth it. Locals are always more inclined to complain about the transit times.

If you wanted an alternative that keeps you just in the Fraser Valley region and avoids that nasty commute, what about Kanaka Creek/Cliff Falls, the Stave Dam Powerhouse, Allouette Lake in Golden Ears Provincial Park, the Museum of Flight at Langley airport...I'm sure I can come up with more. Again, its not that your plan is bad, I just dread that middle of the day drive back across the Ironworkers and through Burnaby.

You could also just stay in Sea to Sky country - the railway museum in Squamish, maybe head over to Bowen Island and stay there instead of Fort Langley.

Just wanted to toss those out there for your consideration.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
59,316 posts
8,639 reviews
3,998 helpful votes
4. Re: Improvements ? for 3 day trip Vancouver, Fort Langley
Save

Thanks all. I will have to consider the alternatives in Fraser Valley - good list - and decide and yes, traffic accidents, etc. are all things that can cause some minor to major havoc to plans. Thanks for the pointers on that. Blacksmith Bakery does look good! Thanks again!

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
59,316 posts
8,639 reviews
3,998 helpful votes
5. Re: Improvements ? for 3 day trip Vancouver, Fort Langley
Save

By the way We loved the railway museum in Squamish and only reason not on our list this go around. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. Re: Improvements ? for 3 day trip Vancouver, Fort Langley

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2020, 13:41
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.