We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire car question for Vanc/Vict and Sim Cards.

1 post
Hire car question for Vanc/Vict and Sim Cards.

Hi guys, currently staying in BC for 30 days, with 3 days in Seattle. From Nov 19 to Dec 16.

(have been before but got driven everywhere and took train a few times)

Im thinking enterprise rentals for the following;

- Whistler for a week (wanting a car so i can stop at places along the way and back, abit of a waste of money as the car will be parked for a few days in the village)

- Victoria for a week (definetly think I need a car for Vanc Island as public transport is alot more sparse. Wanting to visit parks and such.)

Also will need a simcard with at least 10gb data imo for the month, ive looked at a few Rogers and Telus plans and they all have really horrible data limits like 500mb-1gb which any smartphone would chew through in days, especially when im using my phone mainly for Google Maps etc.

Any advice or warnings would be great, thanks.

14 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,271 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Hire car question for Vanc/Vict and Sim Cards.

hi

you do not need DATA to run GPS on your phone so no need for a SIM card for that. there is an app callled maps.me that works quite well if you remember to download the local maps that you will need when you have free wifi. Just did the latter on a 9000 km trip even going north where there is no cell service.

you can do the same thing with google maps = lots of you tube videos on that one.

you can do one way rentals with Avis when going to Whistler - no idea if drop off fee compares to keeping the car and paying for parking

and by renting in Whistler you will have M+S winter tires which you will need.

Perth, Australia
2 posts
2. Re: Hire car question for Vanc/Vict and Sim Cards.

Forgot to add I would ask for winter tyres. As I'm driving up to whistler during first week of Dec so there might be abit of Rain and snow but sea to Sky should be fine. I'll get them just incase...

Ok that's weird I'm pretty sure most phones use a combo of GPS and cell tower data for maps etc. No doubt if I used my Aussie Sim card with mobile data turned off to try and use maps as you say I'd still rack up a huge overseas roaming fee.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,271 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Hire car question for Vanc/Vict and Sim Cards.

if you look at the Travel Gadget forum you will find a very very long post about how you do not require DATA for GPS. you need data if you want to look things up along the way but that just means you are not planning ahead.

+BC has distracted driving laws so the use of cell phone as more then a GPS in a holder will get you a big fine.

I used maps.me with an Android tablet with no cell phone built in so it could not access cell towers and it worked just fine.

Edited: 21 October 2018, 14:43
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,042 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Hire car question for Vanc/Vict and Sim Cards.

Rama D ~

BC requires winter tires from October 1 on the Whistler highway. The minimum legal tire has M&S on the wall of the tires.

I think you have two accounts. Your OP and post 2 are different accounts. Here is the template to ask TA Staff to merge them.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport-a…

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,937 posts
216 reviews
5. Re: Hire car question for Vanc/Vict and Sim Cards.

If in doubt about data free maps. Download an app (maps.me) and the maps and put your phone in airplane mode or data off and try the app at home.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32,723 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: Hire car question for Vanc/Vict and Sim Cards.

<,will need a simcard with at least 10gb data imo for the month>>

Why? What do you plan to use it for?

<< ive looked at a few Rogers and Telus plans and they all have really horrible data limits like 500mb-1gb>>

You forgot to add "with ridiculously high prices". Uh-huh. Nothing there we don't all know. Welcome to Canada - some of the worst cell/data rates in the world. I don't have any data at all, I rely on wifi. In areas where I can't get wifi, I also can't get cell/data coverage anyway. We have huge blackout areas outside of the cities.

<< especially when im using my phone mainly for Google Maps >>

I think mobile device usage while driving is a $360 fine. Not a good plan.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,937 posts
216 reviews
7. Re: Hire car question for Vanc/Vict and Sim Cards.

No fine for a mobile device in a hands-free stand. (or could be the navigator using the maps)

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Hire car question for Vanc/Vict and Sim Cards.

Just get a paper map!!!

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Hire car question for Vanc/Vict and Sim Cards.

Just get a paper map!!! It’s not that hard to find your way around. Sorry for duplicate post

Edited: 22 October 2018, 05:47
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,271 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Hire car question for Vanc/Vict and Sim Cards.

FYI

Use of electronic device in a car in BC https:/…electronic-devices-while-driving.pdf

Last trip, for a section of the route, the closest cell phone tower was over 300 km away. Maps.me worked just fine with a tablet including giving us the elevation (altitude) and speed of the vehicle. We used it as a supplement to the built in car GPS as the maps were quite old. +we had paper maps.

Reply to: Hire car question for Vanc/Vict and Sim Cards.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vancouver