We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter clothing

Mackay, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Winter clothing
Save

What are the best places to buy winter clothes in Vancouver

Iam traveling from Australia to Canada for Xmas so have very little I the way of winter clothing

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
28,616 posts
27 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Winter clothing
Save

Best Depends on your price range in $CAD

Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
210 reviews
115 helpful votes
2. Re: Winter clothing
Save

Try Mark's. Nationwide chain, fairly priced.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
133 reviews
45 helpful votes
3. Re: Winter clothing
Save

You might also let us know if you will be staying in Vancouver (chilly and damp/rainy) or going to mountain areas like Whistler or the Rockies. Might help give more specific advice although arcosdad's suggestion is a good one.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,240 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
4. Re: Winter clothing
Save

Are you going to be skiing? Sport Check, Atmosphere, Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC).

For street clothes, The Bay, Nordstrom, Mark's, Walmart, Helly Hansen, Arc’teryx and maybe even Lululemon.

Trick is to bring clothes that you can wear in layers. Base layer - turtle neck poly-cotton t-shirt, long sleeved shirts. Mid layer - smart wool sweater, hoodie, fleece with hood and zipper. Outer layer - waterproof jacket with hood and zipper, could have a neck rise in front to protect your neck from wind, could have elasticised cuffs to keep snow out. Then gloves (Thinsulate), scarf (long, rectangular, solid fabric that you can wrap around your neck), toque (beanie but Canadian style, in wool). Maybe walking boots, rainproof, or maybe just Adidas/Nike style sneakers. Maybe our version of tallish Ugg boots (which will have different soles for our weather) if there is enough snow where you are going.

Edited: 2 years ago
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
538 posts
5. Re: Winter clothing
Save

>>>For street clothes, The Bay, Nordstrom, Mark's, Walmart, Helly Hansen, Arc’teryx and maybe even Lululemon.

I would not put Helly Hansen and Arc’teryx in the "street clothes" category. They definitely belong in the skiing category.

You can buy street clothes at Sport Check and MEC as well.

>>>or maybe just Adidas/Nike style sneakers.

Not recommended in winter for anywhere but maybe Vancouver. You will need waterproof warmer footwear.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
259 reviews
174 helpful votes
6. Re: Winter clothing
Save

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/ca/stores/results/

You can buy a complete outfit for about $150.

Edited: 2 years ago
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
28,616 posts
27 reviews
11 helpful votes
7. Re: Winter clothing
Save

I would not put Helly Hansen and Arc’teryx in the "street clothes" category.

after reading this one it made me notice these 2 brands when going along the waterfront yesterday at 28C in the Okanagan.....

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
538 posts
8. Re: Winter clothing
Save

>>>after reading this one it made me notice these 2 brands when going along the waterfront yesterday at 28C in the Okanagan.....

You obviously don't understand what I meant. You can wear skiwear and sportswear on the street but you can also ski in it. I wear my Taiga 3-layer Gore-Tex shell hundreds of days a year on the street but I also ski in it. By putting those two sportswear brands in the "street clothes" category you seem to be stating that they are not for skiing.

By the way the OP was asking about winter clothes so any summer clothes made by those two brands seen "along the waterfront yesterday at 28C in the Okanagan" aren't relevant. The OP won't be buying HH shorts for winter.

For winter wear you would be talking about shell jackets, fleece, and other insulation. These could be skied in and worn on the streets as I do.

Street wear for winter would be jackets such as down from the Bay or Marks that would be warm but too bulky and inflexible for skiing where layering is needed.

Vancouver Island, BC
Level Contributor
637 posts
90 reviews
68 helpful votes
9. Re: Winter clothing
Save

Winter clothing?? Are you planning on visiting the mountains for any length of time? If just hanging out around the city, you do not need "winter" clothing. Best item will be a waterproof outer layer with maybe a fleece or hoody under. A hat, scarf and gloves will add an additional layer of comfort.

I have a thin layered Wet Skins jacket that I wear for all 3 wet seasons here and it works great, even if we see a wee bit of snow.

Shopping can be done at MARKS, THE BAY, SPORT CHEK and COSTCO. If you don't want to spend a lot, and are only purchasing for BC then look at WALMART.

Mackay, Australia
3 posts
1 review
10. Re: Winter clothing
Save

Thanks for information I am going up to the snow, which I have never seen, so I’ve no idea what to wear. Just thought it would be easier to buy gear when I got there.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.