We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

compass cards

minneapolis
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
compass cards
Save

Is the cost of the compass card (shared value ) still $6 cAD and refundable?

How do you get $6 CAD back?

Do you need to load at least 10 CAD always or just the first time?

When I used translink to estimate my fare some options were more expensive than others. Do you know why?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,526 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
1. Re: compass cards
Save

The $6 is refundable but only from the offices at Waterfront or Stadium stations. However you can spend it and run down into a negative balance. I'm pretty sure $10 is the minimum load, but you can get it all back from the offices.

Not sure what fares you were looking at, but one possibility is that buses are all single zone fares no matter how far you travel, but you pay more for Skytrain and more again for West Coast Express which charge zone fares on longer trips.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,222 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
2. Re: compass cards
Save

There will be the Adult cash fare, the Adult Stored Value fare (reduced fare with Compass Card), the Concession fare and for each of those the one zone fare, the two zone fare and the three zone fare, all of which convert to a one zone fare on weekdays after 6h30 pm and on weekends.

Waterfront Station office is really the West Coast Express Customer Service office, so Monday to Friday 6:45 a.m. to 6 p.m for Compass Card refunds.

You can now also tap on the card sensor with a Credit Card, on a bus, Seabus or train for a single cash fare. Do not tap off a bus, do tap off everything else. Your fare is then calculated and sent to your CC.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
3. Re: compass cards
Save

How can you spend down to a negative value? We are staying South of downtown so we won't be able to return our cards to those two sites.

Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
576 reviews
212 helpful votes
4. Re: compass cards
Save

Not negative but if you have 1 cent left on the card, you can still use it for the maximum ride.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,222 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
5. Re: compass cards
Save

You can donate any unused portion of your Compass Card to the United Way which will make them available to needy people here. YVR has a drop box, ask a Green Jacket in the terminal when you get there.

This article has useful info but was printed before the YVR and Burrard Station drop boxes were added to the program.

Link: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/donate-compass-card-unitedway-metro-vancouver-1.3986012

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
64 reviews
94 helpful votes
6. Re: compass cards
Save

The minimum amount to load onto Compass is $5. As long as you have a positive balance on the card (5 cents) you can take one last ride to the airport.

The ride to the airport costs $2.30 or $3.35 depending on when you go. That's how you end up with a negative balance.

San Marino
Level Contributor
587 posts
30 reviews
6 helpful votes
7. Re: compass cards
Save

Just tag on my own query about skytrain fare:

I once took Canada Line from Sea Island Centre to King Edward and was charged CAD6+ on a weekday early evening by means of Compass card. you r talking about fare less than CAD4 above. Had I read the fare charged shown wrongly at the exit turnstile?

Thanks

Edited: 2 years ago
Laval, Canada
Level Contributor
996 posts
41 reviews
31 helpful votes
8. Re: compass cards
Save

I wish I had known you could drop your compass card to help the needy at YVR.

I just kept ours..they had $1.75 left on them.

Transit system was fantastic to use and cheap.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
16,743 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
9. Re: compass cards
Save

@hlai Fares FROM the airport YVR and Sea Island carry a $5 surcharge (part of paying for the Canada Line) so no you weren't overcharged.

10. Re: compass cards

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2019, 13:42
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.