We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening meal and Forbidden Vancouver tours with teenagers

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
6 helpful votes
Evening meal and Forbidden Vancouver tours with teenagers
Save

Hi

I'm getting into Vancouver early afternoon on a Friday in August with my Husband and girls both aged 15 after a transatlantic flight. We are staying at the Delta Hotel Downtown Suites in Gastown.

We all need to stay awake as long as possible, have something to eat and make the most of our 3 nights in Vancouver keeping in mind we'll be functioning on very little sleep the first night.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where we could go and eat - I wondered about walking down to Granville Island and getting a taxi back - does that sound feasible?

Somewhere with Canadian food - perhaps somewhere that brews its own beer or serves cocktails and is fun - to keep us awake (but suitable for the teenagers). I eat fish but no other meat so somewhere with fish/ veggie food would be good.

Also I was looking at the forbidden vancouver walking tours (on a different night) - they say they're suitable for adults - would 15 year olds be OK - has anyone been on them??

Thank you in advance

Edited: 2 years ago
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,497 posts
454 reviews
405 helpful votes
1. Re: Evening meal and Forbidden Vancouver tours with teenagers
Save

Delta Suites is not located in Gastown, it is a few blocks away located on Hastings Street.

See the map below.

https://goo.gl/maps/J64VVqX7Nbw

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,541 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
2. Re: Evening meal and Forbidden Vancouver tours with teenagers
Save

No, I wouldn't go all the way across to Granville Island from The Delta on arrival. More hassle than its worth when there is so much there. Legal age is 19 and places that are licensed as bars are strict about that age limit. However, these days it can be difficult to tell from the outside what sort of a license a place has, as many places that are licensed as restaurants have set themselves up like pubs. You'll just have to ask at the door. Often there are different parts that are licensed as a bar or a dining area within the same place. You should be able to find vegetarian and seafood options on every menu in town. Even meat-heavy places know that every carnivore has a vegetarian friend.

Mahony and Son's is a convenient location, gorgeous views, food is middle of the road, acceptable. Otherwise I would head down into Gastown. It gets 'funkier' and 'funkier' the further east you go here. Your hotel is right on the line - head east from your hotel and you will find more street life than some people are comfortable with, head west and you'll walk out of it quickly. Keep in mind it all safe. I walk around this area all the time, I send my daughter down here. Its uncomfortable, not dangerous. Sometimes its good to expose kids to these things. Keeps them human. Your call.

Ok, so Gastown restaurants - from your hotel just head down the hill to West Cordova and then take the left fork down Water Street at Steamworks there (I'm pretty sure Steamworks is a 19+ place). Down that street all the way to Carrall is a busy place in the evening with lots of restaurant choices.

https://goo.gl/maps/gzwjfANazTC2

We had dinner at the Revel Room a couple of weeks back and that was a fun place, but small. Tacofino is down there too, and always busy, but again, that's getting into the 'grittier' part of town, just so you know. Walking on Water Street is much better than Cordova or Hastings. People will recommend the Old Spaghetti Factory, but I think its awful! Cheap and tasteless factory food. Its good value if you want a feed without paying too much, but don't take it as an example of the Vancouver Dining Scene.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,245 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
3. Re: Evening meal and Forbidden Vancouver tours with teenagers
Save

I think it will take you an hour to get through Canada Customs and then 30 min on Canada Line to Waterfront Station (150 metres from the Delta.)

On a Friday in August, I think I would walk west to Canada Place. Go before 4 pm or so and watch the one cruise ship pull out at 16h30 to go to Alaska. Walk the promenade alongside Canada place, observe the seaplanes landing/taking off, the Seabus scooting across the harbour to Lonsdale Quay. Check out the mountains across the harbour. Then walk further west to the Visitor Information Centre at the foot of Burrard St. to browse through some leaflets, then further west to see the 2010 Olympic cauldron and Jack Poole Plaza with more views of the harbour and more fresh air.

In that few hundred metres, you will find restaurants:

Cactus Club Cafe

Bellaggio’s

Tap and Barrel (not my first choice due to a trade off of mediocre food in favour of a good harbour view)

Mahony’s

Back at Waterfront Station you would find Rogue and Steamworks. Steamworks is a brew pub. I think it’s open for families.

Along Water Street at Cambie is the Water Street Cafe.

All good choices.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
133 reviews
45 helpful votes
4. Re: Evening meal and Forbidden Vancouver tours with teenagers
Save

Have not done the Forbidden Vancouver walking tour but the places they go are interesting and would probably be very interesting for the typically inquisitive 15 year old.

5. Re: Evening meal and Forbidden Vancouver tours with teenagers

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2019, 13:43
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.