We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using public transportation with a stroller

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Using public transportation with a stroller
Save

We are going to Vancouver soon and I am trying to figure out my stroller strategy. We have a 7 month old and almost 4 year old and are not renting a car. I want to bring our City Select double stroller since I know our older one won't want to walk as much as we will be. I know some cities make you take the kids (and all your stuff) out of the stroller and fold it up on public transport and I am wondering what the system is in Vancouver. Just want to be mentally prepared! Thanks.

Edited: 2 years ago
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
31,370 posts
115 reviews
79 helpful votes
1. Re: Using public transportation with a stroller
Save

I would hope you would be fine, given that the stroller is configured as behind each other, rather than beside each other. At least it will fit in the doorway! Not sure it will make the turn to get into the aisle though. That may be a problem on some of the buses. Skytrain would not be an issue at all though.

But you may very well be asked to fold it up, if the bus is running near capacity. It would depend on where you are going, and the time of day as well. It's a busy city in the summertime, even with the kids out of school.

We do have a regular poster that used to work for the transit system, so hoping that you will get a more definitive answer from him soon.

2. Re: Using public transportation with a stroller

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 July 2018, 21:57
Edited: 2 years ago
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,497 posts
454 reviews
405 helpful votes
3. Re: Using public transportation with a stroller
Save

There is a space on both sides in the front of the bus where a stroller can be fitted. It will be a tight fit..As you enter the bus, the side on the left may have a better fit than the right side. The first forward facing seats behind the open space can be lifted giving a little extra added space.

Strollers take up a minimum of four seats in the stroller area, to take another two seats away is a little much.

It will be completely up to the operator on how to handle this. After all, he will be not only thinking about how to help you but also how to not inconvenience too many other passengers.

If the bus arrives and it is full you may have to wait for the next bus and hopefully that bus will be able to accommodate you.

Bus operators for the most part are extremely helpful and will go out of their way to assist you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
4. Re: Using public transportation with a stroller
Save

Strollers are usually accommodated on the bus and Skytrain. The only time you could get an issue is if the bus is very full at rush, so try to time your trips accordingly if you can. Vancouver is a very walkable city and if you enjoy walking then you can do a lot that way. You will find people on transit very accommodating. They will clear the disabled area if you have a stroller to allow you to use that space (unless of course a disabled person needs it - that would take priority over a stroller) so you don't need to fold up.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
927 posts
37 reviews
11 helpful votes
5. Re: Using public transportation with a stroller
Save

You should be fine. People (including me, six years ago) have strollers on the bus, SeaBus and SkyTrain all the time.

On the bus, there's a parking area for strollers and wheelchairs behind the driver.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zjHcLMG8ulo/maxresdefault.jpg

I would, however, strongly encourage you to avoid the buses during rush hour. Sure, you can do it, but navigating a stroller onto an off a bus full of people can be a bit stressful.

I would discourage removing the kids and folding it up. That's more of a hassle onboard than just rolling on the stroller.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
16,745 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
6. Re: Using public transportation with a stroller
Save

Question? Do you have a single stroller you could use plus a carrier for the baby? This would be much more transit friendly...and probably much easier to navigate the city. As yvr noted, a double stroller takes up quite a few seats and while drivers and fellow passengers are accommodating there is only so much space on buses, especially some of the smaller “ community” shuttles.

I was recently on a bus where one stroller was already on the bus. At a stop a second stroller tried to board but they were refused because the other stroller area had two very elderly passengers seated and the rest of the bus was full ( 99B for locals) This wasn’t at rush hour. I mention this so you will be aware to allow extra time just in case if using transit.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,497 posts
454 reviews
405 helpful votes
7. Re: Using public transportation with a stroller
Save

Regarding the comment above about community shuttles. Don't even think about it. The only area is a small area at the back of the small bus which is for wheel chairs.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,241 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
8. Re: Using public transportation with a stroller
Save

Hi ~

Is this the style of your stroller? http://www.cityselectstrollers.com/city-select-double/

If so, it will fit fine. But would suggest you push it down the aisle a bit, then "parallel park" backwards into the open space behind the driver. Just easier.

You can see here how the seats around fold up and how big the space is: https://goo.gl/images/3XkGSR

And the space on the far side of the driver: https://goo.gl/images/tVCmM8

There is a ramp that either slides out or folds out so you can roll the buggy on.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
259 reviews
174 helpful votes
9. Re: Using public transportation with a stroller
Save

I suggest using two folding umbrella strollers instead of a fullsized stroller, in particular the doulble versions. Umbrella strollers are cheap, lightweight and more maneuverable. We had a fancy Perago. After i picked up an umbrella stroller at a garage sale for $5, the perago just gathered dust. When we travelled, i stuffed it in my golf bag cover with my clubs.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
10. Re: Using public transportation with a stroller
Save

OK, well for counter point, I used my double stroller almost exclusively and hated the umbrella stroller. Both kids could recline and sleep, it had brakes for stopping on an incline, and the basket for carrying diaper bags and snacks was invaluable. To each their own.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.