We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to travel canadian rockies-solo

3 posts
best way to travel canadian rockies-solo
Save

Hey Guys,

Looking at travelling solo from Vancouver to whistler, kamloops, jasper, lake louise, banff, calgory, glacier national park, revelstoke and then back to vancouver. Looking at roughly 8 days but can add more. (do not need to spend any time in vancouver on this road trip as i will be in vanocuver for a week prior to this road trip)

Happy to stay at hostels (happy to save money where i can but happy to spend where needed).

Needing some advice on the best way to do this trip.

Should i drive solo? is there public transport or is driving easier?

How many days should i look at staying at each location?

Whats the best path to do this trip?

Anywhere i should add or not include?

First time travelling solo as well so really open to any ideas or help as i have no idea!

Thanks

Laura

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
22,777 posts
121 reviews
248 helpful votes
1. Re: best way to travel canadian rockies-solo
Save

You definitely need more than a day's 7 would just covered the Rockies and you would need a few extra days to really cover Glacier or Waterton National Park if you were going to do it justice. I think moose Network would work best for you so I don't think they go into the US for glacier.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: best way to travel canadian rockies-solo
Save

Skip Whistler or do it as a day trip from Vancouver during your week here.

Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
210 reviews
115 helpful votes
3. Re: best way to travel canadian rockies-solo
Save

Skip Kamloops altogether. Head to Revelstoke instead. Not sure when you're coming or what you want do in the Rockies? If hiking, I would suggest you join a group if you're heading far into the back country. Some trails are limited to 4+ person groups due to the grizzlies about....be bear aware! Going by bus will be impractical and frustrating due to limited schedules and them not servicing the cool places to see. Rent a car or consider a tour like Moose tours.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,541 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
4. Re: best way to travel canadian rockies-solo
Save

Your schedule is an endurance trial, not a vacation. You have mapped a reasonable plan for 20 days.

You could drive or look at what is offered by Moose Travel Network as an alternative.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
11,039 posts
33 reviews
82 helpful votes
5. Re: best way to travel canadian rockies-solo
Save

When are you planning on doing this?

Where are you coming from no from?

Since 2016 Canada has a new requirement. An ETA. This electronic travel authorization is not a Visa. If you don’t have this you will be denied boarding the aircraft.

Apply here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta/apply.html

If you are hoping for this year, accomodation in the Rockies, and the National Parks will be a problem. Even hostels have been reserved for quite some time, but keep looking there may be some cancellations.

Public transportation is not well developed in the National Parks and renting a car is the best way to visit, but if you are 21-25 there will likely be a “young drivers surcharge”. Under 21 it’s nearly impossible to rent.

I see you have also posted in Toronto, are you planning on both?

Edited: 3 years ago
3 posts
6. Re: best way to travel canadian rockies-solo
Save

hi there travelling in october and from australia

defs looking at doing some hiking yes

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
11,039 posts
33 reviews
82 helpful votes
7. Re: best way to travel canadian rockies-solo
Save

After Canadian Thanksgiving some attractions in the Rockies close. That’s October 8 this year. Also for a car rental you will have to request a car with special snow tires ( after October 1, by law on some highways). They are not standard on cars, so will come with a surcharge.

Some higher elevation hikes might be snowbound.

October is a shoulder season, not summer activities, and not yet winter ones.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
27,117 posts
123 reviews
185 helpful votes
8. Re: best way to travel canadian rockies-solo
Save

The Rockies are 800 km from Vancouver, in a different time zone. Vancouver to Calgary is almost 1000 km, by the shortest route. We normally recommend a minimum of 8 or 9 days for a one-way route from Vancouver to the Rockies; that is based on two days to drive across BC, and six days split between Banff and Jasper National Parks. You've listed 8 different locations that you want to cover in eight days.

By October, hiking is limited to lower elevation trails; as mentioned, higher trails will be getting snowy by then. (Ski season at nearby ski resorts starts mid-November.)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,245 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
9. Re: best way to travel canadian rockies-solo
Save

I would fly from Vancouver to Calgary and spend all 7-8 nights in the Rockies.

Edited: 3 years ago
10. Re: best way to travel canadian rockies-solo

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2019, 15:16
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.