We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Suggestion for Downtown

Connecticut
Level Contributor
106 posts
48 reviews
32 helpful votes
Restaurant Suggestion for Downtown
Save

I am looking for a restaurant suggestion for downtown Vancouver, preferable close to the water, but, not necessarily a water view. We will be a group of 10-12 people meeting up on a Friday night prior to our cruise leaving on Saturday. We will all be staying in different downtown hotels, none of us in the same one. We are looking for something casual, moderately priced (average $20US per plate), plenty of food options and good drinks, and the ability to make reservations!

I've done some searching here on TripAdvisor and the Cactus Club Cafe looks good, but, I'm unsure.

Thanks for the help.

Black + Blue
$$$$, Steakhouse, Canadian, Grill
Glowbal
$$ - $$$, American, Bar, Seafood
Salmon n' Bannock Bistro
$$ - $$$, Canadian, Native American
Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
210 reviews
115 helpful votes
1. Re: Restaurant Suggestion for Downtown
Save

Check Joe Fortes, corner Thurlow and Robson. Might be above your budget but a great place for a group.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
5,180 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Restaurant Suggestion for Downtown
Save

http://granvilleisland.com/food-and-drink

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
14 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Restaurant Suggestion for Downtown
Save

Tap and Barrel, with 3 locations (Olympic Village, Convention Centre West and North Vancouver Shipyards), offers options at several price points, as well as the potential for a view.

https://www.tapandbarrel.com/locations/

I also had a great experience at Craft Beer Market at Olympic Village. They will take reservations for larger groups, offer wide range of food options, and are a handy stop if some of your group like to try different beers. Not at all fine dining, but good fun. http://craftbeermarket.ca/vancouver#

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
927 posts
37 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Restaurant Suggestion for Downtown
Save

Cactus Club is a chain, but is casual with good food. However, it may be difficult to find a group reservation on a Friday as it's usually full with the downtown Vancouver apres-work crowd.

Joe Fortes is very nice but won't meet your budget.

I'd have a look at Mahony and Sons -

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g154943-d2424823-Reviews-Mahony_Sons_Pub-Vancouver_British_Columbia.html

There are three locations. I'd head to the one on the water at the northern tip of the Convention Centre West.

Note that the menu is a la carte - So if you order a Burger the fries are an add-on.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,541 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
5. Re: Restaurant Suggestion for Downtown
Save

I was thinking Carderos, but Mahony and Sons is a good suggestion too. We love Tap and Barrel, and there's also Steamworks and Rogue Wetbar.

North Vancouver...
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
12,015 posts
201 reviews
423 helpful votes
6. Re: Restaurant Suggestion for Downtown
Save

http://www.waterstreetcafe.ca/private-dining/

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Restaurant Suggestion for Downtown
Save

"average $20US per plate"

Get ready for sticker shock!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,541 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
8. Re: Restaurant Suggestion for Downtown
Save

A burger is going to be around $18 most places, so that's within budget.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
106 posts
48 reviews
32 helpful votes
9. Re: Restaurant Suggestion for Downtown
Save

Thank you everyone for so many great options! We will be upping our budget a little bit to get everything we want in one location, but that’s ok!

Gibsons, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,607 posts
32 reviews
93 helpful votes
10. Re: Restaurant Suggestion for Downtown
Save

I had to look up how much $20 USD is these days, and it's approximately $25 Canadian.

Poohbeck, I know I'm stating the obvious, but all prices in Canada are quoted in Canadian dollars, so when you do your research and you're looking at menus for Vancouver restaurants, keep this in mind. Any dish priced $25 or under on a Vancouver menu will meet your budget. I'm assuming that's just for one main dish, not the total budget per person including drinks, taxes, and tip? Because if you're factoring drinks into the equation, you're looking at average $10 Canadian per drink - cheaper for a pint of beer, pricier for a cocktail or a 9 oz glass of wine. Alcohol's expensive and taxed heavily in BC.

One restaurant that I'd put on your list: Nightingale. It's not on the water, but a block away, the menu is diverse and interesting, it fits within your budget, the interior's beautiful, the service is impeccable, and it really screams special occasion, while still being casual and fun. I went there with a group of coworkers for lunch a few months ago and was really impressed.

https://hawknightingale.com

Cactus Club, your original choice, is really a solid bet. It's a casual fine dining chain and the food is always good. I'd rather eat there than Mahony & Sons, Craft, or Tap & Barrel, which are fun casual pub chains - perfect for a casual lunch, but not where I'd take out of town guests for dinner, only because there are so many more interesting options in Vancouver. Rogue Wetbar in Gastown is the one pub chain I find myself returning to with groups of friends and coworkers, mainly because they can always accommodate a group last minute, the food's always reliable. Best if you like beer, not so great if you're into wine.

Joey's, another casual fine dining chain, is better if you're wine drinkers - they have a really beautiful space on Burrard and Pender, kitty-corner to Nightingale. It's another place that is capable of accommodating groups.

And finally, Cardero's, a bit of a further walk away, is a place that's literally a restaurant on the water with a waterfront deck, and a great place to go if you do want a water view. I had my work Christmas party there in December and it was fun, though the interior can be noisy. It has a nautical yacht club theme going, but also super cozy with fireplaces everywhere.

Edited: 3 years ago
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.