We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is renting a car necessary when visiting Vancouver?

Houston, Texas
4 posts
Is renting a car necessary when visiting Vancouver?
Save

Hi. We are visiting Vancouver this February for a week. Do I need to rent a car to explore Vancouver? And how is parking around wall centre?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
133 reviews
45 helpful votes
1. Re: Is renting a car necessary when visiting Vancouver?
Save

To answer your second question first: expensive!

If you are visiting the downtown area, Stanley Park, and even local tourist attractions like Grouse Mountain, a car is really not necessary. If you want to go further afield, to Whistler for example, you can do a daily rental as needed.

Houston, Texas
4 posts
2. Re: Is renting a car necessary when visiting Vancouver?
Save

Thanks. We are staying at wall centre for a week. I heard that parking is hard and expensive. But I want to go whistler and sea to sky gondola

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
28,616 posts
27 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Is renting a car necessary when visiting Vancouver?
Save

If you are staying at the Sheraton the cost for underground parking with in/out privilege is $30 per day. There web site says it is free in Feb when you book a room.

Mobility is one reason that you might get a car to just drive around to have a look especially if Museum of Modern Art at UBC is on your list. Otherwise it is a good idea to learn how to use transit and get a pass. Trans Link is the name of transit with Skytrain the trains. https://www.translink.ca/Schedules-and-Maps/Bus/Bus-Schedules.aspx

Houston, Texas
4 posts
4. Re: Is renting a car necessary when visiting Vancouver?
Save

Thanks, this is really helpful

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
34,201 posts
16 reviews
25 helpful votes
5. Re: Is renting a car necessary when visiting Vancouver?
Save

I believe what poster #2 means is the Museum of Anthropology at UBC, aka MOA.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
28,616 posts
27 reviews
11 helpful votes
6. Re: Is renting a car necessary when visiting Vancouver?
Save

got my acronyms mixed up it is MOA not MOMA

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
539 reviews
523 helpful votes
7. Re: Is renting a car necessary when visiting Vancouver?
Save

For an urban centre hotel in a major city, in comparison to Seattle where we paid well over double the Sheraton Wall Centre's rates, Vancouver is not that expensive to park.

Personally I would urge you to hire a vehicle. One that you are confident in driving to Whistler on possibly snowy roads. Ensure that the vehicle has winter or mud and snow tires on prior to hiring.

Downtown Vancouver is a very walkable place and we rarely take transit or cabs when in downtown, just walk everywhere. However to fully enjoy the outlying areas (Lynn Valley, Grouse, Cypress Mountain, Stevenston, Whistler, Sea to Sky Gondola, Squamish) you would get much more out of your visit with your own vehicle.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
22 reviews
38 helpful votes
8. Re: Is renting a car necessary when visiting Vancouver?
Save

I agree with the first reply. When in Vancouver, walk or take the transit. Also depending on the number of persons, a cab could also work (Sorry no Uber/Lyft yet). For Squamish/Whistler a daily rental will do.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,245 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
9. Re: Is renting a car necessary when visiting Vancouver?
Save

Kinkykreme ~

If you organise your days in a way that clusters the activities and attractions you want to see, you will need a car for only a couple of the days of your week. If you are comfortable walking and taking transit (which is cheap and convenient, which is why many residents take it) you will have an even easier visit.

If you would like to list the attractions and activities you are interested in, someone could make some suggestions for some day plans for you that would streamline your time and expenditures.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,541 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
10. Re: Is renting a car necessary when visiting Vancouver?
Save

There are several car rental agencies downtown. You can pick up a car when you need one. In the city, you don't need one. I don't bring my car into the city.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.