We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

skytrain to main st

London, United...
Level Contributor
449 posts
233 reviews
136 helpful votes
skytrain to main st
Save

hi all,

we are going to be staying near the science world skytrain station on main st coming from the airport but i have just noticed itis not on the same line.

we will have 3 suitcases with us and my question is where is the best station to change lines so that we do not have too difficult a time with the suitcases i.e not lots of stairs etc also is the main st area ok to stay in .

cheers

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,573 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
1. Re: skytrain to main st
Save

Just so you are warned, that's a fairly seedy area.

Ride it right down to Waterfront. Its a short walk from the Waterfront Canada Line station to the Expo Line platform. You will need to tap through a couple of sets of fare gates at Waterfront when you change lines. Lots of people do it with luggage.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
16,759 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
2. Re: skytrain to main st
Save

Where on Main St??? Some is great, some is iffy. All is safe as you won't be mugged/robbed but some parts of Main St have services for drug addicted etc and are uncomfortable for many people.

Are you in a hotel or airbnb? If airbnb be sure it is legal/licensed as airbnb in Vancouver has "issues" and you may find yourself locked out of accommodation.

There are elevators in all stations so no problem with luggage. Your easiest would be to ride Canada Line to Waterfront Station ( end of line) then transfer to Expo Line to Main St./Science World Station. Involves a bit of walking at Waterfront but not too bad.

If you are 3 people a cab would be just as easy. I think it was mentioned before that cabs are zoned fare from airport so $31 to Science World.

edit typing same time as Vancouverite.. if you are south of Main from about 6th then it's fine..possibly you are in the towers across form Science World..they are fine except I would be concerned about legality if airbnb. If it's a hotel down on Main then I'd reconsider....we need to know where exactly to give good advice

Edited: 3 years ago
London, United...
Level Contributor
449 posts
233 reviews
136 helpful votes
3. Re: skytrain to main st
Save

wow!! quick replies-thanks guys.

we have booked a airbnb that has good reviews situated between keefer st and e georgia st--you have got me worried !

North Vancouver...
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
12,016 posts
201 reviews
423 helpful votes
4. Re: skytrain to main st
Save

Airbnb have their risks in that many condos corporations have their own ongoing battles to shut them down. Meanwhile less likely to shut some down are city bylaws aimed at curbing short-term stays. Guess you could ask to contact the condo management company to be sure. As far as the general area: Depending exactly where it is (address?) you might find yourself in a rough looking area or in Chinatown which is dead at night. Neither would bother me, but sure would if I walked in not knowing. Is there a youtube of the condo or area? Also look at Google Street View. By the way, I'd take the $35 taxi for the first commute to the area. Only because it is easier and not much more expensive than Skytrain with its airport add-on fee.

London, United...
Level Contributor
449 posts
233 reviews
136 helpful votes
5. Re: skytrain to main st
Save

hi, i should have said its on main st between keefer and e georgia .

cheers

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,499 posts
454 reviews
405 helpful votes
6. Re: skytrain to main st
Save

Looks like it may be the fairly new building on the corner of Keefer and Main. There is a Starbucks on the ground floor. Should be ok there, but if you have not paid for this property yet, I would look elsewhere.

There is no Skytrain Station close, Closest one is Main Street Station, which means a walk for you. Taxi seems the best option IMO. You can see the map below Main St Skytrain Sta to your location.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZCz9opEfRnp

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,759 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
7. Re: skytrain to main st
Save

Agree it's not an area I'd book my friends into...it will be safe. There are some restaurants in the area (Bao Bei) but overall it's not good for transit for getting around the city and it's a fair walk to the attractions you'd want to see.

Have you looked at the Ywca Hotel? It's very good value and is close to skytrain station.

You should ensure that the airbnb has it's business license on the listing.

If you're looking for value accommodation then also look at Moda Hotel, Buchan hotel, Holiday Inn on Broadway....all are better located for transit and visiting the city.

When are you coming btw?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,759 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
8. Re: skytrain to main st
Save

Looks like you're coming in September...I would really look for something else. See what the Sylvia Hotel has on offer (fabulous location on English Bay) Older property but comfortable and easy walk to lots of good restaurants.

Be very cautious with airbnb in Vancouver and check for licensing. There is an ongoing crackdown in Condo units about this....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,278 posts
58 reviews
99 helpful votes
9. Re: skytrain to main st
Save

Sept is still in busy cruise season, so coming close to that AirBnB’s rate for a hotel with apartment amenities will not be possible. As you probably know from research.

FYI, here is the city bylaw about short term rentals. It will give you a frame of reference if you want to discuss with your condo owner: http://vancouver.ca/doing-business/short-term-rentals.aspx

The Sunset Inn and Suites have apartments with full kitchens at $281 a night in Sept, to give you an idea.

https://www.sunsetinn.com

The YWCA Hotel, as mentioned, is IMO the best value in town with very reasonable rates. They offer a variety of room and bathroom types and have a couple of communal kitchens. They have a double bed room with private shower for $170.

https://ywcavan.org/hotel

Find out what you can from your AirBnB, and go from there.

Cranbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
8 reviews
11 helpful votes
10. Re: skytrain to main st
Save

Please do take all the advice here about finding accommodation elsewhere. It's really an unattractive part of town for many reasons. It probably is "safe" but it's not "pretty." So you might find it a real turn-off to have your accommodation in that part of town. Also it is not particularly convenient to transit.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.