We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 hours stop over in Vancouver??? What to do?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
11 helpful votes
11 hours stop over in Vancouver??? What to do?
Save

I have 11 hours stopover in Vancouver from 13:48 to 00:35 with two teenagers in January. any ideas or recommendations on what I can do during that time? My teenagers are male & female! help if you can please :)

Level Contributor
199 posts
1. Re: 11 hours stop over in Vancouver??? What to do?
Save

There's probably not a lot of things you can do in an 11 hour layover..especially if you have luggage with you. Perhaps it would be good idea to get to downtown, have a bite, and check out the Canada Place area. It's a nice little stroll at the Vancouver Convention Center. It's also right beside the Olympic Cauldron!

If you would like to shop around..you can also browse the stores on Robson Street (closest to the Vancouver City Center Station on the Canada Line).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: 11 hours stop over in Vancouver??? What to do?
Save

We wont have luggage as it will all go straight through. My concern really is the timing as we wont arrive until 2pm

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: 11 hours stop over in Vancouver??? What to do?
Save

oh...and my son hates shopping :(

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
23 reviews
46 helpful votes
4. Re: 11 hours stop over in Vancouver??? What to do?
Save

When you arrive at YVR, get a Translink day pass from the machines at the Canada Line Skytrain station. This will allow you to travel all day on the Skytrain, Seabus and Translink buses.

Here's a link that gives you an idea of places you can go depending on your interests and which Skytrain station you would need to get off at.

https://www.tourismvancouver.com/activities/sightseeing/places-to-see-via-skytrain/

1 post
5. Re: 11 hours stop over in Vancouver??? What to do?
Save

With the sky train just outside the airport, here's what I recommend, leaving the airport at 3pm and back by 10pm. Take the train all the way to waterfront stn (downtown) then take the sea bus to north vancouver, take a stroll around Lonsdale quay until 6pm. Take the seabus back to waterfront then go to Canada Place or take a stroll around the area to find a place to eat dinner. If you love nature, take the bus to Stanley park first before it gets dark then go to Lonsdale quay after to eat dinner there. Google map those areas to plan where to go. Also translink.bc.ca to find the cost of bus fare it should be less than $10pax

Level Contributor
199 posts
6. Re: 11 hours stop over in Vancouver??? What to do?
Save

Oh that's perfect! If you don't have luggage, then you can probably do a trip to Stanley Park. You can take the #19 bus at Waterfront Station (bus stop is at Granville and Pender Street). It might be a bit chilly..so I'm not sure if you will want to walk all the way around the park to English Bay (3 hours walk). Your daughter might enjoy going to the Vancouver Aquarium though. You can get there by the same bus, #19 Stanley Park. It's really well run. I got to see the employee's side of things when I volunteered there years ago. They really care about their guests and do everything they can to help you have an exceptional experience. They also are a non profit organization (unlike SeaWorld) that spend money on research to better understand the animals.

Perhaps a nice visit to the Aquarium and Stanley Park will do for the layover?

Edited: 3 years ago
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,278 posts
58 reviews
99 helpful votes
7. Re: 11 hours stop over in Vancouver??? What to do?
Save

Are those times your flight arrival and departure times? Your plane lands at 13h48 and departs at 00h35? The other thing to know is are you arriving from Brissie or ? And are you flying out domestically to another Canadian city or Internationally? This info will determine how much net time you will have.

If you are going to spend time outside, you will want to rug up a bit. It will be 3C during the day in January and very probably raining, possibly snowing, or just dry and cold. Sunset will be 4h30 pm on Jan 5, 4h42 pm on Jan 15. You may want gloves, scarf and toque.

You could take a cab into city centre for $31 flat rate + tip. You could get a Day Pass each at the Canada Line station for $10 + $5 airport surcharge. So, $45 for the day.

I would do the outdoor things first. If your plane lands at 2 pm, you might need to go through Canada Customs first. Could take 45 minutes to an hour. Then depending on where you are flying to will determine how much time you need to go through security. I just don't know. Anyway.

Outdoors in dry weather. Go to Stanley Park, the #19 Stanley Park bus along Pender St. Or get off the bus at Denman St to rent bikes from Spokes on the corner there. Ride around the Seawall and through some of the trails. Consider visiting the Aquarium in the Park if it is open. Return the bikes.

Take the #19 bus the other way along Georgia St, called Metrotown Station, I think. Get off at Vancouver City Station and transfer to the #50 False Creek South bus. Get off at Anderson St and walk into the Island, 5-8 minutes.

If it is still light out, consider taking a False Creek ferry along the waters of False Creek for the views of the city from the water. It is colder on the water here than on the streets, so carry a backpack with some layers you can put on if needed. They may run in the dark but don't know for how long. Check their operating hours in winter. If so, you might do the following idea first before the Market and shops close.

www.granvilleislandferries.bc.ca

Finish that by about 5 pm. The Public Market and shops on Granville Island are open until 7 pm. Scoot around the Market to see what unique offerings there are for people who do their daily/weekly food shopping here. Walk across to Netloft for the shops in there.

7 pm. Walk up Anderson St to 2nd Ave for the #50 Waterfront Station bus to Cordova and Seymour Sts.

Walk east to Gastown, entrance is Water and Cordova Sts. Choose one of the many restos for dinner. Some pubs will allow minors in to eat before a certain individually set time, some won't. The stores in Gastown will close at 5 or 6 pm.

Walk west to Canada Place, the new Convention Centre that was the Press Centre during the 2010 Olympics and the Oly Cauldron in Jack Poole Place.

Walk back to Waterfront Station for the Canada Line to the airport.

Other options: Pacific Centre Mall which is large and warm. The main branch of the Public Library which is warm, interesting architecture. The cinemaplex at International Village on Pender at Abbott for a matinée movie. Or Scotiabank Movie Theatre on Burrard at Smithe.

www.cinemaclock.com

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
11 helpful votes
8. Re: 11 hours stop over in Vancouver??? What to do?
Save

Thank you - I will look into that.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
11 helpful votes
9. Re: 11 hours stop over in Vancouver??? What to do?
Save

Thank you everybody - that is so helpful, I really appreciate it!

P.S. Arriving internally from Kelowna but then heading to Brisbane.

10. Re: 11 hours stop over in Vancouver??? What to do?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2018, 13:17
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.