We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit advice + restaurant recs please

Belgium
Level Contributor
63 posts
91 reviews
40 helpful votes
Transit advice + restaurant recs please
Save

Hello!

We will be arriving in Vancouver next week and staying for 3 days. Our flight gets in around 6pm so depending on how long it takes to get through customs, we are looking to get from the airport to the city (Haro Street) around 6.30 or 7pm. Would it be better to take the Canada Line or to take a cab? I saw that the transit fares went up on July 1st, but obviously the Canada Line would be a little cheaper (and maybe quicker?) than a cab.

However, a cab drops you off in front of the hotel and given that we're a group of 3, the price might not be so bad (and would be better for hauling luggage too). Is there always a flat rate to get to the city or are there metered taxis too? Or would it be better to book a car ahead of time through a private company?

As mentioned above, we are staying at The Buchan hotel on Haro Street. Does anyone have any good restaurant recommendations to share? We don't mind having to walk for awhile in whichever direction to get places. We're mostly looking for mid-range priced places and the type of cuisine doesn't really matter as none of us are picky eaters. We love food and are willing to try anything!

Our hotel doesn't include breakfast, so if anyone knows of good breakfast places nearby, let me know!

Thanks in advance :)

Black + Blue
$$$$, Steakhouse, Canadian, Grill
Glowbal
$$ - $$$, American, Bar, Seafood
Salmon n' Bannock Bistro
$$ - $$$, Canadian, Native American
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,497 posts
454 reviews
405 helpful votes
1. Re: Transit advice + restaurant recs please
Save

A taxi will be at a fixed rate from the airport to your hotel. Fixed rate is $35.00. Taking the Canada Line means changing to a bus once you are in the city. I will be the end of rush hour and the buses will still be pretty full, so ease and convenience take the taxi. The Buchan has a nice restaurant with out door seating. In fact, I live around the corner from the hotel. It is in a pretty quiet area and I think you will enjoy it.

As for eating, click the link below to see the area you are staying in. Denman Street is full of restaurants, as is Robson St. A huge amount of Asian restaurants in this area. For breakfast there is White Spot, see the link below, there is also Joe's Grill, but cleanliness seems to be a slight problem there, but it is a popular place. There is also a McDonald's but it is frequented by homeless people in the morning, not a very nice place. There is also a A&W which serves breakfast and a Tim Hoton's. You should not have a problem for breakfast. For all of the suggestions I have made above, you might be the happiest at the White Spot. Enjoy your stay in Vancouver.

https://goo.gl/maps/16MnKJxNwtp

https://goo.gl/maps/ErHUaUjPuwB2

https://goo.gl/maps/LUEMPxyLYW52

North Vancouver...
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
12,015 posts
201 reviews
423 helpful votes
2. Re: Transit advice + restaurant recs please
Save

Taxi for that hotel, especially for 3. Pretty neighbourhood. Good suggestion using hotel restaurant and scouting out the many ethnic restaurants along Denman and there are some waterview restaurants just beyond Davie. A few on the seawall if you go north (left) on Denman too.

Belgium
Level Contributor
63 posts
91 reviews
40 helpful votes
3. Re: Transit advice + restaurant recs please
Save

Taxi it is then! I'm assuming you can just queue at the airport taxi line to get whichever one? Or is there a system like Uber/private cars that we can book in advance too?

Thanks for the replies and comments. What a coincidence you live right around the corner, yvr1 :) I had indeed seen our hotel had a restaurant too, but didn't really stop to consider it much. I think especially for our first night in Vancouver it will be perfect, since we'll be arriving quite late and will be too tired to do much exploring.

I saw that we are very close to Stanley Park, which is perfect and we like a little quieter. Thank you for the breakfast spot suggestions, will definitely check out White Spot.

Gibsons, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
32 reviews
93 helpful votes
4. Re: Transit advice + restaurant recs please
Save

White Spot is a local family restaurant chain, but it is mediocre, or somewhere you take picky eaters who want plain, diner food - there are far more interesting breakfast destinations in Vancouver to seek out if you only have 3 days. Since you will be within walking distance to so many great cafes and places to eat, for breakfast I would at least consider: Forage, Cafe Medina, Chambar, The Birds and the Beets, the Greenhorn Cafe, Bel Cafe, Small Victory Cafe, the Twisted Fork Bistro, and even Cardero's would be higher up on my list.

Edited: 3 years ago
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,232 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
5. Re: Transit advice + restaurant recs please
Save

+1 for White Spot. It is a place I enjoy now and then for breakfast (lunch or dinner.)

For the taxi rank, go out the terminal doors to the sidewalk and you will see the taxi rank. There will be an attendant to manage the queue of travellers.

We don't have Uber. There are town cars and limos that you can hire. The system is much the same as taxis. Walk out the terminal doors and find the limo/town car pick up area.

www.aerocar.ca

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,497 posts
454 reviews
405 helpful votes
6. Re: Transit advice + restaurant recs please
Save

When you decide to walk to Stanley Park, when you come out of the hotel, just turn to your left and you will walk right into the park, see the map, and of course the map sort of indicates you could swim across the Lagoon, Just continue on the paths to the depths of the park

https://goo.gl/maps/vo2yHFuxKuG2

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
16,745 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
7. Re: Transit advice + restaurant recs please
Save

Second Robyn's advice re: restaurants. You've come a long way to explore a new city so why settle for a chain restaurant when there are so many West Coast options with unique offerings.

Level Contributor
199 posts
8. Re: Transit advice + restaurant recs please
Save

If you like ramen, try Hokkaido Ramen Santouka or Kintaro. The food always puts a smile on my face..even in difficult times. The downside to these places..especially Santouka..is that there's usually a long wait (anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes).

Belgium
Level Contributor
63 posts
91 reviews
40 helpful votes
9. Re: Transit advice + restaurant recs please
Save

Wow, thank you, I can already see we won't have enough days to enjoy all the good places :) We'll be in Vancouver for another full day at the end of our trip (we're doing a loop roadtrip beginning and ending in Vancouver) so I'll be sure to check out most of those breakfast places.

We aren't picky eaters at all, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Would anyone happen to know if the Cactus Club Café English Bay can be recommended? I noticed it's quite close to our hotel as well and seems to be right near the water. We wanted to try and have dinner somewhere with a view, but preferably not someplace that would cost 100CAD for mediocre or only okay food.

Transit-wise, I think we've settled on just taking a taxi :)

North Vancouver...
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
12,015 posts
201 reviews
423 helpful votes
10. Re: Transit advice + restaurant recs please
Save

Cactus Club at English Bay is right on the sand and a definite go for location. Upstairs for water view. Downstairs for beach level. I like downstairs. Carderos is worth a visit too. So is the Lift. All are on Youtube. (Your hotel is too)

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.