We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Seattle

australia
Level Contributor
561 posts
53 reviews
41 helpful votes
Train to Seattle
Save

Hi folks. We are catching the 6.30am train to Seattle on Thursday. We are in Deep Cove atm so think we should stay downtown Wed pm. Where is best place to stay? Have checked 'top questions' but nothing there.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
1. Re: Train to Seattle
Save

I wouldn't stay close to the station. The hotels there are a bit seedy. Downtown is very close, something by the stadiums would be convenient. The station is right next to the Main St. Skytrain station, so you could ride Skytrain or take a taxi. You have to be at the station for 5:30 to get through Customs and Immigration, so probably a taxi would be best at that time of day.

In the other direction, I don't think there are any hotels in Olympic Village, which would be a good location, but a bit further up towards Broadway there are few I think. The Biltmore comes to mind (not my first choice, but it would do in a pinch) but I think there's a Holiday Inn around there somewhere too.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
82 reviews
65 helpful votes
2. Re: Train to Seattle
Save

No hotel is going to be more than a 15 dollars plus tip in a taxi to the station. I would choose hotel that is central. like The Blue Horizon, and enjoy an evening out.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,497 posts
454 reviews
405 helpful votes
3. Re: Train to Seattle
Save

First Skytrain from Vancouver on weekdays departs downtown Waterfront Station at 0532, and will arrive at Main St Station by 0537. If you are traveling during the summer, at the height of the tourist season, I suggest you need more time as lines can be long and US Customs and Immigration can take some time.

If you are traveling Business Class then the first Skytrain would be ok. If you are traveling on Saturday or Sunday you will need a taxi as the trains start later in the early morning.

australia
Level Contributor
561 posts
53 reviews
41 helpful votes
4. Re: Train to Seattle
Save

Thanks all especially the heads up on time for customs! Taxi it is. I guess we can get breakfast on the train......I will check it out. This is where TA comes into its own. With no knowledge of a city's layout, it's hard for travellers to position themselves in the most convenient part of town for their needs.

Thanks again.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,497 posts
454 reviews
405 helpful votes
5. Re: Train to Seattle
Save

Breakfast on the train. Click the link, then choose service onboard, and you will see the info regarding the bistro car. You will also find a pdf so you can take a look at the menu.

http://www.amtrakcascades.com/riders-guide

Edited: 3 years ago
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,241 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
6. Re: Train to Seattle
Save

Taxi for sure. You can book a taxi the day before for 4h50 am with wheels rolling at 5 am, if you are riding in coach. 5 am with wheels rolling at 5h15 if you are riding in business. It will take you about 25 minutes at that time of the morning. About $48 + tip. Use North Shore taxi (not Sunshine taxi) (604) 922-2222.

The boarding procedures at the station can be read in this Top Question: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-c181211/Vancouver:British-Columbia:Amtrak.To.Seattle.Non.Cdn.Non.Us.Users.html

There is a bistro car on the train. See "Onboard Experience" in this page: http://www.amtrakcascades.com/riders-guide

EDIT: cross posting with yvr

Edited: 3 years ago
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
16,745 posts
152 reviews
133 helpful votes
7. Re: Train to Seattle
Save

The 25 minutes Mufti is quoting is taxi from Deep Cove at 5 am..not from a downtown hotel.

Agree that spending a nice evening downtown would be a good ending to a Vancouver visit. Blue Horizon as mentioned is a good central choice, cab will be 10 minutes max to train station. Georgian Court is another good choice, even closer to station..or St Regis.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
14 reviews
5 helpful votes
8. Re: Train to Seattle
Save

Agreed with the suggestion to move to a downtown hotel for Wednesday night. Staying on the same side of a bridge as your early departure is good risk management ;)

australia
Level Contributor
561 posts
53 reviews
41 helpful votes
9. Re: Train to Seattle
Save

Thanks everyone. I took your advice and booked downtown and will taxi to station. Some of you know my husband travels with a mobility scooter and we need a little extra time in the mornings. So much better to be close and alleviate any last minute panicking. Will check the bistro menu too.

Happily it is not goodbye and I'm sure you will be hearing from me again! Our daughter lives in Deep Cove and we come every year for six weeks. My husband is well enough for us to start venturing further afield on our vtrips now, so we will visit Seattle for a few days.

Thank you to everyone.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,241 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
10. Re: Train to Seattle
Save

Yeah, I was interpreting "Taxi it is" as staying put in DC and taking a taxi from there. For some reason.

You will enjoy being in downtown Van for the evening before your train! See you back in the forums next year then!

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.