We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help getting from Vancouver to Nanaimo..

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
120 posts
Help getting from Vancouver to Nanaimo..
Save

My flight arrives at the international airport at 4.45pm on Saturday assuming it is on time and i get out of customs in quick time what are my options for the ferry to Tsawwassen for the ferry at 5.45pm and how would I get there or do I take the sky train and bus to Horseshoebay for the 7pm ferry..thanks les

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
174 posts
1. Re: Help getting from Vancouver to Nanaimo..
Save

Hi there !

This is Claire from the North Vancouver Visitor Centre.

I believe your easiest itinerary is to go to Tsawwassen to catch the ferry to Duke Point, Nanaimo.

To get there, you can take the Canada Line skytrain to Bridgeport station, and then take the #620 Tsawwassen bus. This commute takes approximately 45 minutes. I'm not sure if an hour will be enough time to get yourself through the international airport and to the ferry terminal but you can try! Just keep in mind you should be at least 15 minutes early for the ferry.

That being said, I think your BEST option is to catch the 7pm ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Departure Day, Nanaimo, the commute is approximately an hour. You will need to take the Canada Line skytrain to Vancouver City Centre station, then take the #257 Horseshoe Bay Express or #250 Horseshoe Bay bus from Georgia st. and Seymour st. bus stop. This way you wont be caught having to wait until 10:45pm, as there is no 8:15pm ferry on Saturdays at the Tsawwassen ferry terminal.

I hope this helps give you an idea of travel times! Enjoy your trip!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
34,201 posts
16 reviews
25 helpful votes
2. Re: Help getting from Vancouver to Nanaimo..
Save

Actually - your best option is to catch a flight from YVR to Nanaimo. Air Canada flies from YVR about every 90 minutes, throughout the day.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
174 posts
3. Re: Help getting from Vancouver to Nanaimo..
Save

Yes, phpr has a very good alternative plan and I over-looked it!

If you're willing to, I would suggest looking at flights also.

It would save you long travel times to the ferry terminals, and you may risk the chance of missing the ferry.

Hope this helps again! And my apologizes!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,541 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
4. Re: Help getting from Vancouver to Nanaimo..
Save

That was exactly my thought. Book a connecting flight if you are trying to get there the same day. Trying to get over to Nanaimo without a car at that time in the evening doesn't seem very practical. You could get to a hotel close to either ferry terminal and get the first ferry over in the morning.

The other consideration here is what is happening when you get off the ferry on the other side? If you are being collected by someone, then that's pretty easy, but if you are on foot and trying to get onward, then you really don't want to land at Duke Point, which is an isolated location south of Nanaimo. Departure Bay puts you right in Nanaimo with easy bus and taxi service connections.

In both cases, there are later ferries, so while the 5:45 and the 7 pm may be difficult to get to, you can get on one of the later ferries from either terminal.

North Vancouver...
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
12,015 posts
201 reviews
423 helpful votes
5. Re: Help getting from Vancouver to Nanaimo..
Save

If you decide to fly and meet luggage restrictions, a float plane takes you from YVR to downtown Nanaimo and saves coming in from the airport or Duke Point ferry. Google Harbour Air.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
539 reviews
523 helpful votes
6. Re: Help getting from Vancouver to Nanaimo..
Save

And Seair as well. Both have flights that leave from the YVR Seaplane Terminal and land either in Nanaimo Harbour or at Brechin Point Marina near Departure Bay Ferry Terminal.

Helijet offers 7 days a week service from downtown Vancouver near the SeaBus terminal to Nanaimo Heliport right beside downtown. Not sure when you're arriving but currently their last flight is 17:30. If you are arriving in the summer check their summer schedule as you may be able to make. Canada Line train from YVR takes 26 mins to get to Waterfront Station. From Waterfront to the Heliport is about 5 minutes on foot. You need to check in 20 minutes prior to departure.

7. Re: Help getting from Vancouver to Nanaimo..

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2018, 12:19
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.