We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation close to the ferry to Nanaimo on Vancouver I?

Alicante, Spain
Level Contributor
65 posts
21 reviews
21 helpful votes
Accommodation close to the ferry to Nanaimo on Vancouver I?
Save

We are travelling to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island in July and would like to know where we catch the ferry please? Is there just one ferry for foot passengers or more than one? Can anyone recommend a good B&B or Hotel close to the ferry point at Vancouver mainland? We need to be close to the Ferry that goes to Nanaimo please. Thanks.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
34,201 posts
16 reviews
25 helpful votes
1. Re: Accommodation close to the ferry to Nanaimo on Vancouver I?
Save

One ferry for all. Info on schedules, fares, etc. here:

http://www.bcferries.com/

Are you planning to take a vehicle on the ferry or travel as foot passengers? Depending n when in July you are traveling and if you have a vehicle, reservations are usually recommended. Foot passengers do not need to reserve.

How do you intend to travel around the island once you are there?

Edited: 4 years ago
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
353 posts
444 reviews
291 helpful votes
2. Re: Accommodation close to the ferry to Nanaimo on Vancouver I?
Save

You catch the ferry at Horseshoe Bay. One ferry every two hours. Schedule at www.bcferries.com

Foot passengers need no reservation.

No need to stay right in Horseshoe Bay. It is a small residential and exclusive area full of rich people. BNB's would be fairly pricey although it is an absolutely stunningly gorgeous part of West Vancouver. The tiny village area is a pleasant stroll with touristy shops. That said you can stay almost anywhere between Vancouver and Horseshoe Bay and easily get to the ferry by bus,taxi,etc on the day you travel.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
3. Re: Accommodation close to the ferry to Nanaimo on Vancouver I?
Save

Google maps is your friend.

https://goo.gl/maps/bRnPi9p3K122

Gibsons, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,607 posts
32 reviews
93 helpful votes
4. Re: Accommodation close to the ferry to Nanaimo on Vancouver I?
Save

There is only one ferry service, BC Ferries. There are 2 ferry terminals near Vancouver, both will take you to Nanaimo. The Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal is a 45 minute drive south of Vancouver. The Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal is a 30 minute drive north west of Vancouver. Horseshoe Bay is a small terminal but arguably more scenic if going to Nanaimo, and it is next to Horseshoe Bay village - a small seaside village with cafes, restaurants and shops. There is a motel in Horseshoe Bay, and I imagine that there must be a few B&Bs.

Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
576 reviews
212 helpful votes
5. Re: Accommodation close to the ferry to Nanaimo on Vancouver I?
Save

Even if you did stay in Horseshoe Bay and you had a car to take along, you'd have to drive 4.5 Km back towards Vancouver and turnaround to get into the ferry line.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
82 reviews
65 helpful votes
6. Re: Accommodation close to the ferry to Nanaimo on Vancouver I?
Save

Is this just for one night, or are you wanting your whole stay to be near the ferry? If just one night, you might consider North Vancouver. That way you won't have to deal with traffic on the Lions Gate Bridge, which can get backed up, especially if there is an accident or stall.

Can't recommend a B&B in North Vancouver, but perhaps others can. Not a lot of hotels in North Vancouver but there is

http://www.lonsdalequayhotel.com

It's located right where the Seabus from downtown docks. It's a bit further than the several motels on Capilano Rd.

https://www.google.ca/#q=motels+on+capilano+road+north+vancouver

However, if your stay is longer than 1 night, I would choose a hotel downtown and take the little bit of risk regarding traffic on the Lions Gate Bridge.

This works best if you have a car. You could take transit, and then board as a foot passenger, but depending on luggage you may find this not viable.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
7. Re: Accommodation close to the ferry to Nanaimo on Vancouver I?
Save

I totally read that incorrectly. I thought they were looking for a place in Nanaimo. Ooops.

Yes, Horseshoe Bay is where you want to be.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
174 posts
8. Re: Accommodation close to the ferry to Nanaimo on Vancouver I?
Save

Hello,

My name is Claire from the North Vancouver Visitor Centre and hopefully I can answer your questions!

The main ferry to Nanaimo (Departure Bay) leaves from Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver. The other ferry to Nanaimo (Duke Point) leaves from Tsawwassen, south of Richmond. No matter which ferry terminal you choose, you can be a foot-passenger or take a vehicle, but I would highly suggest making reservations online if you plan to take a vehicle with you, as a foot-passenger this is not necessary.

If your planning your commute to Nanaimo from Horseshoe Bay, there are a number of places you can stay on the North Shore. The closest accommodations to the ferry terminal would be the Horseshoe Bay Motel, which is directly in the village. If you are okay to stay a little bit further from the ferry terminal, I would suggest one of the several hotels located on Capilano Road at Marine Drive, such as Capilano Inn & Suites, North Vancouver Hotel, or the Grouse Inn.

If you wish to leave from Tsawwassen ferry terminal, you have quite a number of choices. There a few places located quite close to the ferry terminal, such as Coast Tsawwassen Inn or Beach Grove Motel. If you are okay with staying a little farther you can stay in Richmond, close to the airport.

I hope this helps!

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
28,615 posts
27 reviews
11 helpful votes
9. Re: Accommodation close to the ferry to Nanaimo on Vancouver I?
Save

There is really no need to have accommodation near the ferry terminals. You either travel the night before to get close or travel on the the day of to get there. It depends on your itinerary on the days before so more information on your part will get you better answers to your question.

There are no hotels within walking distance to either ferry terminals.

The Departure Bay terminal in Nanaimo is near the downtown area; the Duke Point terminal is 20 km from downtown. https://goo.gl/maps/LpFj1KoW7hk

Alicante, Spain
Level Contributor
65 posts
21 reviews
21 helpful votes
10. Re: Accommodation close to the ferry to Nanaimo on Vancouver I?
Save

We are foot passengers. Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.