We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day visit

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
198 posts
7 day visit
Save

I'm visiting Vancouver in September from London U.K. For 7 day holiday and so excited , can I buy a 7 day pass for myself and wife to get around the city , looks like the skytrain is the best option or am I wrong and also is their such a pass I'm just guessing their is cheers

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
34,197 posts
16 reviews
25 helpful votes
1. Re: 7 day visit
Save

Get off your mobile onto a real computer and read the Top Questions on the right-hand side of this page. Transit and many other pieces of essential info are outlined there.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,530 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
2. Re: 7 day visit
Save

Its unusual for people to spend a full week just in Vancouver. Usually they do a mini-tour that includes either Victoria and Seattle, or Whistler and Victoria, or some other combination.

Is it your plan to spend the entire week in the city?

Transit is great downtown, but not much use once you want to get out of the city. We don't have any viable intercity public transport, just some private coach services.

For transit in the city, you will need a Compass Card. You can read about it on the Translink website. They haven't really tried to set it up for tourists, so there's no 7-day pass, just pay as you go.

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
198 posts
3. Re: 7 day visit
Save

Ok I will do , thanks for the replys , I will get a compass card and just put 20 dollars on each to start with for a couple of days as I will also like to walk about the city

Edited: 4 years ago
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,232 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
4. Re: 7 day visit
Save

From the airport Canada Line station, there is a $5 surcharge on the fare. The fare will be either $4 (2 zone fare) or $2.75 on weekdays after 6h30 pm and on weekends. So your fare from the airport will be either $9 or $7.75. On the way back to YVR, regular fares only apply. You also have to pay a $6 refundable deposit to get a Compass Card. A $20 load of Stored Value on a Compass Card will get you away from the airport on a weekday during the day plus one more local ride. $6 deposit + $4 2 zone fare + $5 surcharge. A taxi would cost a flat rate of $31, 35 or 37 depending on where in Vancouver your hotel is located. There is a link to the taxi fare zones in this page: http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/transportation/taxis

As well a day pass is $9.75 for adults, seniors pay less. So compare what you want to do with the best option. A Compass Card fare is good for 90 minutes.

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
198 posts
5. Re: 7 day visit
Save

When you say 90 mins what exactly does that mean lol pls remember I'm from uk so

What may sound simple to you may have no meaning to myself thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,497 posts
454 reviews
405 helpful votes
6. Re: 7 day visit
Save

It's 90 minutes from when the ticket is validated. so If you validate your ticket at 1000am it is valid until 1130am. Good for transfers. Your probably going to be better off buying a day pass for $9.75 or $7.50 for seniors, you must be 65 or older for the senior fare. If you buy one at the airport it will cost you and extra $5.00 as there is an airport surcharge. So if your not arriving early enough in the day to enjoy the day pass benefits then your better off just paying the one way fare. If your staying in the downtown area, it will cost you $2.75 or $1.75 if your senior eligible. Here are a couple of links that will help you.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Single-Fares.aspx

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/DayPass.aspx

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
78,232 posts
58 reviews
98 helpful votes
7. Re: 7 day visit
Save

Okay, sure. When you get on a train or bus, a fare on your Card is activated and the clock starts. That fare is good for 90 minutes on all forms of transit: bus, train and Seabus. Then the scanner will charge you for a new fare which will also be in effect for 90 minutes.

Within Vancouver, a one zone region, you could ride for 15 minutes, walk for 45 minutes and take another ride on the same fare, no further charge. You would have boarded the second bus/skytrain/Seabus within the 90 minutes of the initial scan in and can ride it for as long as you like. But once you step off after 90 min, that's it for that fare.

If you went to North Vancouver (Grouse Mountain, Capilano Suspension Bridge) a two zone region (Vancouver + North Vancouver), the system calculates the amount of fare you need to pay, but the time limit remains the same = 90 min on all modes of transit before that particular fare expires.

A Compass Ticket (single fare electronic ticket) is good for 90 min. A Compass Card Fare is good for 90 min. A Day Pass is good for all day, until last bus (3 am the next day?) A Paper Ticket obtained by paying on the bus, is only good on buses. They do not transfer to the electronic scanners and gates of the trains and the Seabus. If you get a Compass Card, run it down to about $4.00 or $2.75 just before you fly out. Then you will get your last ride out of the Card for $4 or $2.75 if you fly out on a weekend, not need to fuss about getting your $6 refund and can recycle your card at the airport.

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
198 posts
8. Re: 7 day visit
Save

Great information and I fully understand now thankyou all kindly , myself and the wife love a walk so we will walk around your city a lot and also we are not planners we take things as they come it's a holiday not a sprint if I miss something I'll visit again , but on say maybe a day or 2 we do want to travel I will just by a day pass each save any confusion and it makes life easy , I can't wait I really cannot wait , I'm probably flying westjet as they operate a good value for money service from London to Vancouver and cheap

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,530 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
9. Re: 7 day visit
Save

Sounds like a great plan. I think you can enjoy a week or even two in our city, but its a different sort of approach. More relaxed and less planned. Some things that may help:

1. Parks. Getting outside is an important part of enjoying this city. We have several different parks jurisdictions, and so finding out about all the different parks can be difficult. We have city parks (and some of the city parks - like Stanley Park or Lynn Canyon park - are HUGE), regional parks, and provincial parks. No national parks in the area around Vancouver. You'd need to go to the website for each jurisdiction to find out about the different parks (so for example, there are city, regional and provincial parks in West Vancouver, but you'll only get information about the city parks on the West Vancouver website. You'd have to research the regional parks separately and then the provincial park on their website).

2. Cities. The greater Metro area is a collection of 22 cities and municipalities. There's even two North Vancouvers and two Langleys, just to confuse you. For tourism information, the Tourism Vancouver website is very good for collecting information from around the region, but some of the smaller treats are only found on the local city websites. Personally, I love little, quaint community museums (the Port Moody one is a gem), but finding out about them can take some work. Most of the cities have their own tourism websites, and in some cases, cities have collaborated (like West Vancouver and the two North Vancouvers, and the two Langleys have one tourism website). This can be helpful if you want to do some exploring outside of the downtown core.

3. Ferries. I think taking a ferry somewhere really makes you feel like you've been somewhere. You can hop a ferry to Bowen Island or the Sunshine Coast from Horseshoe Bay, or you can get down to Tsawwassen for a ferry to one of the Gulf Islands or over to Victoria. These are all trips that can be made without a car, although a longer trip - like Victoria - on transit is a bit arduous.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
64 reviews
94 helpful votes
10. Re: 7 day visit
Save

Get a Compass Card at the airport and load $30 on it to start. When you use Compass you get a discount over paying for cash. It's $2.10 or $3.15 for a one or two zone fare versus $2.75 or $4.00 in cash.

Also on your last trip back to the airport as long as you have at least $0.05 on the card to start your trip you don't need to add more money. A daypass is only a good idea if you're planning on making a lot of transit trips in one day.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Stored-Value.aspx

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.