We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the beaches like?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
11 reviews
24 helpful votes
What are the beaches like?
Save

I'm HOPING to be at Grand Velas in late March (depends on my Sales performance this month. Our annual sales trip is to PV - wish me lots of luck!!)

I've been to Cozumel, and wasn't impressed with the water there, nothing like Playa Del Carmen or the Bahamas (or Maui). What's the water like in PV?

United States
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
63 reviews
66 helpful votes
1. Re: What are the beaches like?
Save

Then you will be less impressed with the beach in NV as it is also nothing like PDC, Caribbean or Maui. PV is a wonderful place to visit and we love it but if the beaches are the most important thing to you I'm afraid you will disappointed.

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
173 posts
2. Re: What are the beaches like?
Save

Actually, the water in Cozumel is normally even clearer than either of the locations you mentioned. However, on the island itself, the beaches aren't as good as those locations, and the water drops off a lot faster, so the color from the shore doesn't look as pretty. It takes shallow, white-sand-bottomed, beaches to make the color you're referring to - not just clear water...

I'm a scuba diver, and I've never seen water as clear and beautiful as the water in Cozumel - blew the mainland away.

In PV, the water is not Caribbean clear. It's greenish underwater, but looks very blue on a sunny day from a boat - just a deep blue, not the aquamarine color of the Caribbean. From the shore it looks more greyish-blue due to the color of the sand.

Riverside...
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
1 review
14 helpful votes
3. Re: What are the beaches like?
Save

The water is also cooler than those places you mentioned.

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
173 posts
4. Re: What are the beaches like?
Save

Actually, during the summer it's warmer - it just varies more widely than the other places.

Puerto Vallarta: 67 in Winter to 90 in summer

Bahamas: 72 in Winter to 84 in summer

Cozumel: 78 in Winter to 85 in summer

Playa del Carmen: 78 in Winter to 82 in summer

Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.