We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I don't like flying!!! Any suggestions to help?

Bellevue, Nebraska
Level Contributor
62 posts
11 reviews
41 helpful votes
I don't like flying!!! Any suggestions to help?
Save

I love my vacation every year to Mexico, but I dread flying! I don't sleep the entire night before going and returning home. Does any seasoned traveler have some good suggestions for relaxing other than getting drunk (we leave at 6 AM-I hate to start that early!).

Michigan
Level Contributor
167 posts
1. Re: I don't like flying!!! Any suggestions to help?
Save

I don't have a problem flying and Mexico isn't too far for me.

I have a problem sitting in my seat for flights to Asia. I use valium and it works great.

You may want to try Ambien. See your Dr. for a Rx.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
11 reviews
44 helpful votes
2. Re: I don't like flying!!! Any suggestions to help?
Save

Try hypnosis. It will definitely work. Although if you're leaving at 6am tomorrow, I would say it's too late.

courtenay
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
17 helpful votes
3. Re: I don't like flying!!! Any suggestions to help?
Save

Hi Jacque1,

I hate flying as well, and my hubby and I will be flying early AM next Saturday to PV...

I will be having a few "special" coffee's @ the airport before we leave to take the "edge" off,LOL........

bubbles

Toronto
Level Contributor
298 posts
2 reviews
42 helpful votes
4. Re: I don't like flying!!! Any suggestions to help?
Save

My mother, who also hates flying, went for a couple of hypnosis sessions with her doctor I think he was a shrink), who gave her a tape of his voice to listening to when she was in the air. That seemed to help -- until the tape broke! LOL. You'll be fine. Just do some deep breathing and take a Valium. Que sera sera. Remember that flying is safer than driving, etc. And have a wonderful vacation!

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
10 helpful votes
5. Re: I don't like flying!!! Any suggestions to help?
Save

This is what I did a couple of times and it seemed to help with anxiety about flying: Preboard so you have some room to get used to the aircraft first and tell the flight attendant of your concerns and feelings. It really helps to know that someone knows what you are feeling and also they keep checking on you and seeing it you are alright. Calming effect! You would be surprised at how many people do this (flight att. told me).

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
14,688 posts
6. Re: I don't like flying!!! Any suggestions to help?
Save

Hi there Jacquie: What a great post. I totally sympathize. Before I met my husband I think I had flown one short haul flight... Now, back and forth. He's flown all over the world all the time and he just immerses himself in a book--but it doesn't do it for me really, quite as much.

First, I always leave an envelope of up-to-date instructions on my hall table, just in case (which everyone who needs to know, knows about).

Second, I rush around the night before to get ready to go (and maybe drink) so that in the morning I'm kind've half asleep so I'm ready to just relax on the flight.

Third, I have a repertoire of short attention-span type things: a portable DVD player, a computer so I can play games, a crossword puzzle, a stupid magazine telling me that I can lose 20 pounds in one week (You know the kind I mean).

Now, after many many flights, I've stopped being so worried. As long as my affairs are in order I actually look forward to the rush of taking off and, especially, the fun of seeing the sights just before landing. (In the case of arriving in PV), the wonderful green fields over Ixtapa after the bleak terrain). Once upon a time I was frightened if there was a bit of turbulence but after several thousand hours I just think of it as a bumpy road. You'll get there too. Trust me.

Bellevue, Nebraska
Level Contributor
62 posts
11 reviews
41 helpful votes
7. Re: I don't like flying!!! Any suggestions to help?
Save

Thank you everyone for all your help. I think I will try a little of everything.

Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
27 helpful votes
8. Re: I don't like flying!!! Any suggestions to help?
Save

Jacque,

I am a FF (fearful flyer as well).

I discoverd www.fearofflying.com last Dec at this time and was able to travel very comfortably to PV in Feb. The guy who runs this site used to be an airline pilot and is a counsellor. there is a message board, chat etc. As well I purchased his tapes and it has made all the difference in the world to me.

As a backup I do take one Ativan which is an anti anxiety pill. It really helps. Enough so that after grounding myself for over 8 years Im going to PV twice this year!

Goodyear, Arizona
Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
24 helpful votes
9. Re: I don't like flying!!! Any suggestions to help?
Save

Leaving on Thursday and the Doctor gave me a prescription for ativan. I will be taking it!!! Terrified to fly!

Idaho
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
11 reviews
62 helpful votes
10. Re: I don't like flying!!! Any suggestions to help?
Save

I echo what others have said about seeing a doctor and getting a mild, or not so mild, sedative. Plus you could also try what a woman who once sat next to me did. She turned to me, introduced herself with the words "I am deathly afraid of flying. Do you mind if we talk during the flight?". We talked all about her family, work, hobbies, etc and mine as well, anything to keep her mind occupied. She said talking to strangers and getting to know them helped her to stay calm. I think most people are very kind and would be willing to help out.

Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.