We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Your Help--Snorkeling with 9 Year Old?

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
228 posts
10 reviews
14 helpful votes
Need Your Help--Snorkeling with 9 Year Old?
Save

I've been trying to make up my mind which tour to do for our trip Oct 6th to Dreams Villamagna. It will be me, hubby, and our 9 1/2 yr old son. We want to go snorkeling, and I was hoping to find something appropriate for him. He doesn't swim well, but I see with Vallarta Adventures the kids have a life jacket of sorts on. Not real thrilled with a booze cruise type of outing, but I see that's mostly what's out there.

My husband said he needs to be able to stand up in the water and not just have it over his head or he might get a bit freaked out. I'd love advice on the best snorkeling site and company to go with.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Terri

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Need Your Help--Snorkeling with 9 Year Old?
Save

Most of the tours snorkel out in the open bay with no way to stand on the sand. Look into the Las Caletas trip with Vallarta Adventures, Las Caletas is a beach exclusive to VA where he could stand with his head above water. Plus while VA has an open bar on the boat compared to many of the other tours it is not what I'd call a booze cruise.

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
75 helpful votes
2. Re: Need Your Help--Snorkeling with 9 Year Old?
Save

At Las Caletas he can snorkel in shallow water. It's a pretty small area so it would be easy for you and your husband to stay close by him. They provide life jackets as well. Also, it is( or was when we went) a very "non party" type atmosphere both at the beach and on the boat. The only thing that might be a negative for him is the "water mosquitoes"...that's what they called them when we were there...they sting...sting...and sting some more. Maybe they are only in the water at certain times of the year...I don't know, but maybe someone else can answer that question. The really good part of that tour, incidentally, is the buffet lunch...it is fantastic.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
940 posts
11 reviews
67 helpful votes
3. Re: Need Your Help--Snorkeling with 9 Year Old?
Save

Las Caletas would be fun for your family and son. Went a few years ago when my daughter was 12 and she loved it. While she and my husband were snorkeling, I was getting a wonderful massage in a lovely shack up in the jungle area. You have to book the massage while on the boat and the fill up very quickly but something you might want to consider. You then have a nice buffet lunch and there is an open bar but it is not a party atmosphere. It is mostly families. Later in the day, they brought out a little monkey that the kids got to hold. My daughter loved that. All in all, a fun day for the family. On the boatride back, it is mainly beer and the workers dance on the boat but it is definitely not a booze cruise. I am sure you will all have a great time.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
228 posts
10 reviews
14 helpful votes
4. Re: Need Your Help--Snorkeling with 9 Year Old?
Save

Thanks so much to everyone who replied! I've been going nuts trying to figure it out! I was looking at Las Caletas, though, and it looked really good. I wish hubby and I could do Rhythms of the Night, but doesn't look like a kid thing. It looks SO romantic!!

Hmm...hope those mosquitoes don't sting us! Anyone else have this happen or know anything about them? That would suck!

Terri

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
26 reviews
35 helpful votes
5. Re: Need Your Help--Snorkeling with 9 Year Old?
Save

The Caletas tour is amazing, it's a beautiful beach with plenty to do and is one of the best tours for families as it gives a great mix of adult/child/teen activities, plus the food and total location is fantastic. I agree about the massage, get one!

Snorkeling there is easy, shallow beach where you can walk out and swim around, plus kayaking and such. There are a couple floating raft/docks and hammocks and chairs on shore.

As far as mosquitos, there are not that many, coming from Minnesota, I would see more in one day there than I see in a whole year here. I suggest just buy some of the repellent wipes and pack them, easy to use and take little space. Nothing to worry about.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
228 posts
10 reviews
14 helpful votes
6. Re: Need Your Help--Snorkeling with 9 Year Old?
Save

bzy, thanks for your thoughts. We're definitely booking this. It DOES look amazing and it's perfect (and then some!) for what I had in mind.

Wow, we leave in 4 weeks and I can't wait!!

Terri

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
75 helpful votes
7. Re: Need Your Help--Snorkeling with 9 Year Old?
Save

There weren't any mosquitoes in the air. These are something in the water. We used repellent, but still got bit by these creatures. The guides called them "water mosquitoes". I have been snorkeling for years and have never experienced this until snorkeling at Las Caletas. I wouldn't want you to avoid the trip, but do be warned in case a swarm attacks...

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
228 posts
10 reviews
14 helpful votes
8. Re: Need Your Help--Snorkeling with 9 Year Old?
Save

We experienced this at Castaway Cay in the Bahamas, too. Not bad stings..just little ones. They're some kind of insect in the water. Hopefully they won't be there! ;)

Terri

9. Re: Need Your Help--Snorkeling with 9 Year Old?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.